Mods: Can we stop filtering the word g-a-y?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newsbuff, Feb 27, 2015.

1. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

From the Life stories thread, a member says:
    Why does the profanity filter censor a perfectly normal and common description of a person's orientation? Mods can we please fix this? It's insulting to everyone here. I also had a post censored before when I tried to explain that I'm the "new" newsbuff and that the old newsbuff is a skinny gay Filipino guy I'm friends with from college.

I sat here for like 20 seconds trying to figure out what the word was in the life story post I quoted above - 'I am also *** and enjoy singing':

My inner thoughts:
    • 'I am also the s-h-i-t and enjoy singing'? no it doesn't have the word 'the' before it
    • 'I am also b-i-t-c-h and enjoy singing'? hmm...Do the asterisks correspond 1:1 with the letters in the word? if so, then it has to be a 3-letter word.
    • Maybe that is some kind of british slang word? don't brits say "c-u-n-t" alot? no thats australia.
    • 'I am also g-a-y and enjoy singing'? holy s-h-i-t I think I've cracked the case. This is absurd.

Tweek516, DarkJello, iPox and 8 others like this.
  2. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Gaming communities have historically used the word in a derogitory way. While I would like to think that this community is more mature, people like Kernok make me understand the resoning behind the censure.

4. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Insults in the forum will be removed anyway and the person will be warned.
    Don't really see a reason for banning words that aren't negative unless used as an insult.

5. soulmilk

Isn't it kind of insulting for people who see themselves as something without thinking it's negative, then the word for it gets banned?

6. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Just get rid of the profanity filter, its not like we DON'T know what your saying. And I'm pretty sure, there are no 10 year olds playing this game.

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Or that it isn't very easy to find workarounds to the filter as the OP demonstrates

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

polltroy

9. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Didn't he turn 11 a few days ago?

XFurionsX likes this.
  10. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

This is very much the case. There are many who use Gay as a derogatory pejorative, but now that we have a number of players mods now it may be worth releasing the restrictions.

Alakhami, newsbuff, Authyrtyr and 2 others like this.
  11. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Ć’uck yeah!

12. HiveLord

HiveLord I need me some PIE!

I do however think that the letters K and F, when used together in that order should be added to the profanity filter.
    That seems to be a trigger phrase for some of the less mature amongst us, and we could probably do without it.

soulmilk likes this.
  13. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I agree that the word gay being censored is absurd. If someone calls you gay in an insulting manner just laugh about it, I mean that's what people in 3rd grade would say if they got in a hissy fit, so just laugh at how the asshat has the insults of a preteen kid.. Plus gay has two meanings so it seems rather strange filtering it when it's a perfectly legitimate word that's in the dictionary.

Edit: Looks like im late to the party and it's already been uncensored. Woops.

KingJad likes this.
  14. Gedden

Gedden Administrator Octopi

Ok, first off thank you newsbuff for bringing this up, and thank you Senshu for bringing this post to my attention.

We were just using default chat filter setting for the forums, and apparently the word "gay" was there by default. Granted its probably a default setting for very the reasons Senshu stated, but still - it will be addressed.

On a related note, the chat filter in the client (which was written by us back in 2005) does NOT filter the word gay or lesbian, because -- well of course not. I remember as a child playing online games where this occurred and thinking it was absurd.

iPox, IMAGIRL, Leadrz and 4 others like this.
  15. soulmilk

I like your open mind. ; w ; <3
    If I ever met you in real life, I would love hanging out with you. You are one of my favorite people ever.

16. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

I think anyone who tries to make pox work is alright in my opinion. >.<

Nice to see it uncensored, may it be used in an appropriate manner.

soulmilk likes this.
  17. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Any chance we can uncensor hom-osexual? I mean, as long as we're talking about inoffensive descriptions...

Sealer0 likes this.
  18. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Dear god this took a while to get addressed. But still nice to see it finally getting sorted.