Cactuar Crate - Ronin Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 20, 2015.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

You dare insinuate Mr. Bolt should be a handyman?

In all seriousness, Mason will only staunch the bleeding if the opponent has more than 2 champions on the field. At 5 -- the generally assumed value to ensure Tomb hits a standard payoff curve -- a level 3 Mason will get a single tap, and generate about 10 nora for his troubles. Hardly worth the tempo and AP required for him to even get near the thing.

2. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

Might be enough to give you the time needed to kill the backlash unit.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Doubt it. One extra round may make a difference in some small number of cases, but unless the opponent is running Implications (which is the strongest counter to UT) even scratching the thing is unlikely before Tomb eats itself.

4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Give us a workable Mason and maybe I'll be for it. Would still shoebox Nora Weave (then again, I don't personally care for Nora Weave, so hey).

The "problem" from my perspective is that there's no way to counter a Marsh Song/Nora Weave after the fact. So you play it, then the Backlash comes out, and you're screwed on Shrine damage.

It's one thing for Backlash to weaken/kill units (I think Backlash as it's been is great for the game), it's another for it to be a direct victory condition.

5. mud1

mud1 Well-Known Member

6!? Is that rounds or turns? for 30 nora still? That is a big nerf. Why?

It already has allot of situational drawbacks. For example, today someone vertical pushed my champ but they didn't hit the intended one. Still VP'd one of my champs and caused me to retreat back from a contested font. It is already a big gamble since it requires a spell that targets a champion. I know you already know all this but why is it suddenly on the radar? I hope it is more than giving it a limited duration just because it doesn't have one. That is along the same lines as giving something with a global affect a limited range just because it doesnt have one.

Sorry for the rant. It is just one of my favorite spells since it screws with players who rely heavily on spells.

6. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

What is the intent for Call Celestial Spear?

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

6 turns would bring it in line with other counterspells - they all have their various strengths and weaknesses.

Feel free to discuss with others whether 6 is appropriate for counterspells in general.

8. Sokolov

It's awkward for a couple of reasons right now:
    • it's really low cost for a fairly effective relic drop when looking at the relic itself
    • however, it's on a ranged unit and the original intent was to have the spear forward deploy to help melee Paladins
    So I think making it one-use and ranged deploy would just feel better from a gameplay perspective.

9. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

So what do you mean by one-use? As in after it is placed it is gone, or that you place it, triggers its effect and then it does nothing but sit there after that, or is it something else?

10. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

Dark Pact says no and that spell comes very close to Snow Blind

11. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

One time use. Like the ability goes poof after you use it.

Sokolov likes this.
  12. Sokolov

Yea, I am probably missing some. Adding, thanks!

[03/06] Counterspells - Consolidate Durations > Snowblind, Scapegoat, Dark Pact; Should these ones have longer duration than the others? is 6 appropriate for the others?

13. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

6 seems like the sweet spot.

Netherzen likes this.
  14. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

I think we need to differ between hard counters like Backfire and redirects like Snowblind, Scapegoat and Dark Pact.

Scapegoat:
    Redirect singletarget and AOE but redirect on friendly champ

Dark Pact:
    Redirect singletarget and AOE? and redirect on enemy champ but you pay 5 shrine damage for it. You can also choose what champ is going to be protected by Dark Pact (is this a advantage or disadvantage?)

Snowblind:
    Only singletarget. Redirect on enemy or friendly champs.

I would say 8 sounds more fair for the redirect versions of spellcounters.

15. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Also +1 for the Catuar picture being in this post!

16. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

I approve, but it's a bit too big

17. mud1

mud1 Well-Known Member

8 turns sounds much better than 6. The more I ponder on it however, I would be happy with 6 turns if they got a -5 nora to go along with it. There is already the risk of wasted nora if no spell is cast and even if a spell is cast, it doesn't mean the effect will necessarily go in your favor.

18. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Seeing Witching Hour there and no Chanelled Violence is rather funny.

19. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Just reminding that Zedin + RD still exists.

20. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Yes,finally.I think 6 is appropiate for a spell thats cheap,hidden,cant be countered and will usually screw you up pretty bad,especially when you need that one spell to do a powerturn or kill a key champion.