Can We Stop Calling Them Arthropods?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Jason

Jason Guest

I don't know exactly which of the eighty-four foster parent companies that this ******* child game has had decided that it would be sophisticated to create the race "arthropod", but it starts to become a nuisance when we actually have a "Spider" theme. There are several "arthropod" champions that are essentially just magical crabs and butterflies, but can we leave Biology class and return to Poxnora please?

Call all Spider champions "Spider" or "Arachnid"

Take "Arthropod" off of Myx champions - they are already called "Myx".

Take "Arthropod" of of Worm champions - they are already called "Worm".

Everything else can just be labeled "Beast".

This is an unnecessary complication to the game. It adds no significant thematic relevancy, it may confuse new players (especially those who might be interested in playing Underdepths Spiders because it's one of the most affordable and powerful meta decks in the game), and it's a perfect example of pointless complexity.

Also, I imagine someone in the Poxnora office has the responsibility of assuring that new "Arthropod" champions have an exoskeleton, no vertebrae, segmented bodies, and joint appendages. That individual can work on something else now.

2. Auronzwei

Auronzwei The King of Potatoes

So where do we group champs then not belonging to any of those themes...are they just all beasts then...ie. locust

3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the original setup was spiders and insects. myx came in as something completely different a bit later.

the problem with keeping spiders (arachnids, really) and insects separated was that they neither were originally a real theme, but as the factions grew there were certain thematic elements that got added in by design or overly determined players. a decent number of the SL bugs were spiders instead of insects, and so on. all of the UD stuff was spiders.

instead of just calling everything a spider or an insect and Firking up the existing decks, they moved it all up to arthropods for simplicity's sake.

the worms were a later add-on, as were the myx (arthros and myx were different things for a while)

the tl;dr is this: no.

Etherielin, DarkJello, Ohmin and 5 others like this.
  4. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

I think they are called arthropods so they can split theme them.

5. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

The necrosis is about worms and anthropods(like bone shredder).I like that.And i dont think its really that complex to have few similar races when the interactions between them are very clear and simple.

6. claydude5

claydude5 The King of Potatoes

This is the worst trolling attempt ive ever seen

7. Ralphen

Ralphen I need me some PIE!

Just for biologic sake...

"Worm" is not a taxonomical term, "Arthropod" is: the only Arthropods that fit in the "worm" category are the Miriapoda. From what I can see in the rune art, Poxnora have a quite consistent race setting for myxes, creepers, spiders and feshes from a biological point of view.

I would probably remove the Arthropod race only from artificial/magical beigns (like the Crystal Crawler)...

8. Jason

Jason Guest

Locust could be a Myx, he fits the profile enough.

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

locust was originally an insect (so was sand scorpion- krikkinwing was an arachnid-dragon though)

point being, exact real-life modern taxonomic accuracy has clearly never been the priority

mortal ix and SPiEkY like this.
  10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Lol, how?

If anything it's an oversimplification.

Leave it be, it's perfectly fine the way it is.

11. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- No starship troopers references yet?... Y u do dis

IMAGIRL likes this.
  12. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

If its in UD. It's a flipping spider. Every where else, it's an Arthropod.

#Demonscience

13. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Agree on the basic idea.

14. DeepShark

DeepShark New Member

So then Deep Elves, are no longer elves since they've evolved along a different path? They become Nefari?
    Pirahnids are no longer Mirefolk?
    Constructs and Grobles should probably be separated too. Grobles are more like Golems, carved into shape, as opposed to being constructed.

...or not.
    It's ok for things not to be broken down into their separate logical pieces. Otherwise we head down a silly slope to the absurd.

Spiders and Insects ARE Arthropods. It's ok.

15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The are now called Podroarths. Happy?

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Leggers?

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Let's brand them to 8 year olds: Squishables

JellyBerry, SPiEkY and Jib like this.
  18. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

While we are at it, global multiattack is an issue, and has been for a while, and will continue to be so when future releases come.

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

Sounds like a new food item for a child's pack lunch.

UD Squishables, they come in fire hot, arrow pricked and tight leather flavours.

Baskitkase likes this.