IS/SP Shattered Sigils

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Sirius, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

An IS/SP Sigil Wing split. I'm posting it here because no one really goes to split forums and I really want some advice on how to improve the bg. Besides, the important champions are all IS.

https://poxbase.com/deck/clYCl3c6mcgpc5Yc6Ychic4cgoCgdCgfCgas5Qs1ks6_S3ys7Bs59s7Js5wr2Yr3Gr2Ze1Ke1j

I wanted to improve Sigils by splitting with a faction that can add the things I feel they're missing. The champion set could remain mostly Sigils, but I felt they needed: extra damage, extra toughness (especially this), "suddenness"/AP gen spells, and if possible, Backlash and anti-swarms/artillery. Also, I really wanted a source of Dispel, a really valuable effect nowadays.
    SP has a non-champ selection comparable to IS while offering most of what I was looking for. It also has Beast related stuff.

I've played with this bg for a bit and I'm still getting used to it, but I wanted to post it to get suggestions. I especially wanna figure out a way to add Priest of Valdac. Problem is, I feel like I'm already running the absolute minimum amount of Sigils, Wings of Glory is quite useful and so is Houndmaster, so I'm not sure what to remove for it.
    Since I got Cyclops Chieftain for Boost Beast, Houndmaster is the likeliest to go for a PoV, but he does also offer Detection. And no, 2x Amethyst with Greeting is not enough, there's been plenty of Stealth in ranked and people like to put a ton of that in bgs nowadays.

Other things I'm considering are -1 Platinum +1 Emerald (basically a matter of 'Precision+ range 1-2 melee dudes' vs 'alt damage and movement') and the possibility of Zoalt.

Cavernkeeper is a bit difficult to deploy because he has no Beast synergy, but he's a healbot with Dispel. The feeling of Dispelling Scrapper on Hyaenid Stalker and 1-rounding it is too good to pass up.

But yeah, sorry for the long rant, and advice please! :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

Drop Crowned Sauropod, he is awfull... If you want a better tank, try Goliath Fesh. Also, try putting one Whisper of the Mind, it's a exceptional rune.
    About Zoalt, is the best split hero arround, doing great AoE and single champ dmg; and with his equip, he can deflect two atacks, making him even better.

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

0.o Crowned is a baller bodyguard unit. Needs more Spirit of the Mountain in the deck.

4. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

Never liked him, don't know, for me are better runes to place in his spot. Spirit of the Mountain is surely best fit for the bg.

5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

ZOALT!

Ifem21 and JellyBerry like this.
  6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

SKY SERPENT

Ifem21, JellyBerry and SPiEkY like this.
  7. Sirius

This bg sucks so bad I feel like crying and punching myself, completely serious. I cannot possibly be that bad of a player. First Sand and now this. I'm going on a break from pox, I need it.

I'll still be reading this thread for possible improvements though.

8. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

The SP split brings absolutely nothing save for Magnify.

Take that Wing shell, plop Euan/Talg/Minister and a Herder or 2. Sprinkle them ridiculous CC spells and go to town.

Super work in progress but here's what I'm messing with :

[​IMG]

Still not sold on Wings and Perch (I added them after seeing your list, no idea those even existed) but Perch is so cheap it doesn't matter and Wings has potential considering it sticks around for 2 turns. Wouldn't feel bad putting a Glorious Charge in there instead. Suppress is so dumb I should add 6 of them.

9. Sirius

Yeah well, tbh I split with SP for 2 main reasons:
    1) because the lack of sudden AP gen bothered me, I felt the bg was way too predictible (something I generally feel about IS)

2) because I had already built the FF IS version and it was bad. They die too damn fast. The melee units are easy to counter/kill unless Mark of Redemption is up and ranged damage is easy to shut down (it's the ranged units that I rely on for dmg). Sigils work nicely together, but they're just simply below the level of meta stuff.

For example, ST meta tears me up, completely. Owl Raider counters my entire bg and because of Gale Force it's next to impossible to avoid the double tap (which is why I even considered adding Full Plate Armor to the bg, because it makes the champion lose flying; problem is, I'd equip it on melee units, which need their mobility). Then there's that freaking Summon Ant that always tears me a new one. And everything else in the ST bg is really good.
    FW meta always screws me too, as well as FF ST beasts and any other meta bg.

Here's my bg, for reference:

[​IMG]

You'll notice a ridiculous amount of anti-stealth. People like runing a lot of stealth lately. And I mean a LOT.
    At the time of building the bg, I kinda thought I needed a huge amount of Sigils to make it work and idk, somehow it didn't occur to me to include meta champs to up the powerlevel. You can go as low as 12-13 Sigils and be fine, or at least that's what I learned from the SP split.
    I really hate Talgar, but he's probably a very good include because he's OP. Stuff that Sigils definitely need are the PoV and Geomancer. They'd benefit a lot from Minister too, I'm sure.

Now to make a few comments on your bg. Divine Touch is a good idea and I don't run it simply because I didn't find the space. But Touch without PoV? come on! I see no detection besides Greeting, so I have to ask: how do you deal with Garin and persistent stealth (as in, stuff that will re-stealth or repeated stealth deploys)? My personal recommendation is Guard Tower.

Instill Panic is a game winner when used right. Also, I personally feel the need for BOTH Glorious Charge and Wings of Glory. But yeah, Wings is pretty good and quite helpful. You do however need to think carefully when you're gonna use it. It works nicely as a kind of mid-game power push thing.

10. Sirius

Oh btw, that Mounted Hawkmaster has since become a Houndmaster.

11. Iskandak

Iskandak The King of Potatoes

why not sarnghavian herder? its cheap and brings a lot of utility

12. Sirius

Still Detection as main reason. Might swap out Houndmaster for it though, since I got Guard Tower.
    My main priority is gonna be sneaking in a Geo. I kinda want Pal. Commander too, he's a Command: Charge on a horse (yeah, I know C: Dodge is better, but I just love Charge). Unfortunately, I don't have enough Paladins.

Anyway, I'll rebuild the bg with meta (read: OP) additions soon. And by soon I mean when I can be bothered to play again after I go on a Warlock: MotA spree. But I'm digressing.

13. Sirius

So, I have returned to playing FF IS Sigils. I used the suggestions you guys gave me to improve the bg and it feels stronger now (I'm also probably more used to it). This is how it looks now:

[​IMG]

I recently gave in and added Talgar. Obviously it works well, because it's motherfirking Talgar we're talking about...

Let's talk about the less obvious stuff. Minister is good but I still suck at using it, or at least I'm not noticing the big build up I used to see when facing him (I may have had a habit of casting too many spells). Anyway, still gotta learn how to maximize his potential.

I had a choice to make between Sargrhrghrhavian Herder + Guard Tower versus Houndmaster + Earthshaker. There wasn't room for both those awesome relics unfortunately, and I need the Detection (a shame, I had just memorized the KB chart too).

My 2nd Hammer Strike has been replaced by Divinity's Touch and it has been divine! Seriously, that spell is so useful! Meanwhile, Instill Panic continues to win games.

I am a very big fan of flexibility and varied upgrades, which is why I run 1 Platinum with Piercing Shot 1 and Pin Down and the other one withh PS 2 and Precision. You know, for different stuff.
    Also, I used to roll with Tough 1 on both Obsidians, but I switched one of them to Tough 2 for testing and it is a significant improvement. I think it's worth the raised price. I often find myself praying I reveal the Tough 2 one. But I am reluctant to switch both to Tough 2, because I want a less expensive option, especially now that Talgar is around. So yeah, mixed upgrades.

Long rant, but whatever.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention: I still feel that a Geomancer is needed in there, but it's too expensive for me and there are new Sigils coming that might change stuff.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  14. Sirius

Ok, so just for the sake of it, I wanna mention that I've been playing this bg continuously and the highest rating I ever seem to reach is a bit over 1150-1160. It would most likely be somewhat higher for better players. Sigil Wings have a bunch of problems, but I'm not going to elaborate on them right now because I'm too damn tired. Later.

In any case, the bg is behaving quite nicely, aside from the eternal conflict between deploying non-Beast meta includes and deploying more Beasts to benefit from Boost. I continue to think Geomancer is crucial, but I can't afford one. Also, I've switched both Obsidians to Tough 2. They're better like that.
    Platinum Wings are still useful with both builds I run (PS1+ Pin Down and PS2+ Precision). I sometimes even feel the need for both in the same match.

I still auto-lose to FF FW meta. It's by far the worst match-up, imo.

On the bright side though, I tend to roflstomp the FF UD meta bgs around my rating (but only if they don't have Vothsairs), because I have Instill Panic and Divinity's Touch and all they know nowadays is to use Nefari Guardians and Masochism.

That's it for today's update, stay tuned!

Iskandak likes this.