Frostfall/Snowstorm/Terrain Theme Ideas

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by xezno, Apr 24, 2015.

1. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

First off, why does Frostfall Vanguard not have Immunity: Frost or Ice Eater base? Frost Amulet gives Damage Shield: Frost and Vanguard is a range 1-2 unit. I just find this odd.

Spellsurge: Snowstorm feels like it is lacking something. I don't think it is the spell or the ability so much as other units to play off this effect. Two ability ideas to help this out.

Snowstorm Amplifier: Causes grounded, places impending snow on all terrain types, and makes it so that non-impending snow and ice cannot override this terrain. Edited

For the Love of Snow: When this unit makes a basic attack, Snowstorms cooldown is reduced by 1. Any champion with Spellsurge: Snowstorm gains Empathy.

I know new abilities generally require new units but if it got these got tossed on some old units also, I would like to see:

Dwarven Mountaineer with Snowstorm Amplifier
    Furbull with For the Love of Snow
    Frostfall Vanguard could have these abilities in place of Snow-Fall upgrades.

That is all I got for now. Good ideas? Bad ideas? What other ideas do people have?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

@calisk might like saying something.

As for me... I find these kinda odd. The Amplifier seems plain OP; as for the love of snow you should wait a bit because it seems Empathy will be changed(it's in the crate). The CD reduction part doesn't sound bad though.

xezno likes this.
  3. xezno

I was having a hard time trying to not make it OP but I guess I still failed. I left it still vulnerable to other terrain types but as it works right now, I find every time I cast Snowstorm, my own terrain effects override it and that is what annoys me most. Why throw down impending snow just to have non-impending snow or ice override it? Didnt noticed that Empathy was on the radar. Thanks for the advice!

4. Xzablaz

Xzablaz I need me some PIE!

I find the frostfall vanguard is odd also, with 70 nora id say hes overly cheap with stat 2 def and 50hp (60+full faction bonus). and with legendary rarity i find her can be replacable with other lower rarity runes, thats why she should get more ability without making her OP, to improve her i suggest with ice eater or frost acolyte as base:

Ice eater nora cost: 8
    Frost acolyte cost: 10

thus making her nora cost is 78 or 80. but i prefer frost acolyte because i think she can get ice eater when shes equipped with L'usara staff or heart of ice with 80+35 or 80+25 nora cost. and with that cost shes can lot more tankier due to many access of frost damage in ST, and that cost i think is bearable with what shes bring on the table.

main reason i run her is for frost overload and that ability need her go to frontline quickly and attack. for now i find her lack tank (i know collosal is awesome but she had big target on her head, thus making her easy target for enemy ranged to 1 turn her with size 2x2) thats why she should get ability that making her at last survive survive.

frostfall vanguard with 80 nora (+frost acolyte) + L'usara staff (tempo, ice eater, spell swallower, ice trail) can be great addition to adaptive theme due lack tank in adaptive without getting out the theme itself.

Sry for bad english :p

xezno likes this.
  5. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

I like her just fine as a 70 nora tank, colossal 2 def and a boat load of hp do wonders plus she hits hard enough and has an extra trick so people can't ignore her. Only change I'd like would be an order of operations change so the equip is placed on the target after her attack so she doesn't get hurt putting it on if in melee range.

You talk about getting one rounded, giving it either of the abilities does nothing to change that, it gives her a way to heal which if she is getting one rounded does nothing. It would add sustain to her but I find ST has several good healers to help keep her topped off if needed. At 80 nora she is starting to get expensive. In an environment of efficiency adding nora is often seen as a nerf, perhaps it could be better in a specific bg but in general it could be worse.

As for the original topic I never really use snowstorm, ice storms higher upfront damage has always won out for me something to make it used more could be good. I kind of like the idea of reducing the spell cd ( bliss already has this for all spells so a weaker version should be possible ) it does potentially open the way for spell spam though, which is something I generally don't like. I think maybe giving it grounding and not getting overwritten would be good AoE 5 is massive and could make the zoning of the spell a bit to good. Ice already reduces speed so adding more to that seems over the top.

xezno likes this.
  6. xezno

So what about:
    Snowstorm Amplifier: Causes grounded, places impending snow on all terrain types, and makes it so that non-impending snow and ice cannot override this terrain.

The idea I am going for is more of a terrain stall than any damage. Ice storm already fills the mass damage AoE as @nakaruru stated and it also provides a large area of ice. Ice does have the nice advantage of -1 speed and taking the advice on that, maybe just making it cause impending snow instead of impending snow/ice would be less OP. With the right units out, it would then make this underwhelming spell shine. Also I agree that spell spam could be an issue but that is why I went with melee units to have the ability unlike Bliss. However unlike Bliss, Furbulls can be created in mass so that has its own issues.

@Xzablaz I like the idea of Ice Eater but I feel Frost Acolyte would be OP on a colossal unit. However I agree with the addition of ice eater, it would put vanguard at a more appropriate price point.

I love this! Thanks everyone!