Flyers playable?

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by sidmouth, May 15, 2015.

1. sidmouth

sidmouth The King of Potatoes

Ok, I have always had a thing for frostwings and I want to use the new one even though he seems a bit... boring. So first question - init2/blitz right? I can see him as being kind of interesting with swoop and hunter but I feel like meek and speed are too situational.

2nd question, do flyers even make sense anymore? I spent some time looking at strigs and other flyers in ST and here are my subjective impressions:
    - So many of them are so expensive. Almost every champ in the BG will be around 80 nora except for arctic dragon. Could honor guards with equalize be an option here?
    - Range is bad. Juya, Wingmasters (who do no damage), bombs/skewers and maybe swoop. Also warlocks, but that's it.
    - You can compensate for the bad range by using boon a lot maybe but which Strig are really good? Clearly you can get boon from Owl Raider and Windrider - those guys are a given. Magebane is imo not really runnable. Legwhip is just eh. Warden is definitely runnable but soooooooo expensive.

With all that in mind, here's what I have atm. What would you change?

Untitled.png

2. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

In response to the the thread title. Playable? yes, worth playing or in any sense good? No. I'll try and look at your bg later but I'm in class atm. I would definitely not run those glaives I'd include the borderguards over them at first glance.

3. sidmouth

Yeah, I kinda see that. I like glaives but they really only work if you can amp their dmg and all I have for that is 4 boons and coord tower. Blergh. A general problem with flyers seems to be that there are no really high dmg champs. It's basically 10 dmg + Icesnap, although the new guy clearly has potential with blitz.

Along these same lines what do people think of the original frostwing? I love his art and would love to run him but... he's pretty bad right?

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  4. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

You only have two sources of magic damage, the angel is still ok and can be rather durable. I dont see juya, she took a big hit ( i really miss that heal )but I think she is still runnable and if you run the border guards she is a must for that multi attack. I want to like the glaive and the frostwing but both feel to expensive for what you get. You could remove the halberd and count on the crowns for precision if you need an extra slot. You have a ton of melee one possible addition would be snare fairies with fairy flight it is low 70's which sadly is a cheap unit for fliers. Other intersting options are skybreak and crystal dragon ( maybe not the best but they aren't terrible ) and the leg whip and battleward can be low 70's but all of them are 2x2 and low or even melee range which makes them a bit clunky to use even with flight.

5. sidmouth

Skybreak seems like a real possibility. Very good point about halberd. I will tinker with it later but I may keep all 4 frostwings just cause I am dumb and I like frostwings :(

Oh, and I totally forgot about the angel. I just looked at her and she's not exactly exciting but maybe I'll try her because it's true that I need the magic damage. What do people like for upgrades - I'm thinking def crystallize and then... I want AS but it makes her 89 nora which wow.

6. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

I've been running regen and defensive turtle to make her hard to one round and give some more sustain to her but I miss crystalize. As for the frostwings go for it, I regularly run a wingmaster in my bg because it is the rune that made me want to play pox and st in particular. If you don't enjoy what your playing then why play?

7. sidmouth

For some reason I was thinking Glaive's signature ability would still be range 4 but that's dumb ofc, and it turns out a 1-range glaive is not really worth much :/

Feel like it's one of those abilities like scythe whirl that scales with range a lot. Great ability at 4 range, kinda not worth 8 nora at 1 :(