Tundra Reformation

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by KingJad, May 22, 2015.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Scenario 1: I honestly don't get it, because when will this happen? I mean, the guy will engage you on the border of your font, instead of contesting, while threatening you with a ranged champ from far away? Well, if he does that you won the game right there, but assuming this does happen, you can always move sideways and not inside of the font again. However, I don't see this scenario happening at all;

Scenario 2:
    Ok, you contested the font and now it has become yours? Proceed to deploy champs from the border of the font, then move to the shrine.

Scenario 3:
    Yeah, on the rare 1% of scenario it does happen, then you are firked - not more than the other guy, though, who is CCed and out of the font. ;)

Honestly I just think you are nipticking on something that will be easily implemented and will help the faction a lot.

JellyBerry likes this.
  2. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

I think you need to find something more fitting. Splits are a big part of the game and there are plenty of of ways how impending snow in your font could Firk up your gameplay when playing splits.

3. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'm not to worried about splits, it is a downside but if it is a major problem for them they can always use the other factions shrine/font. I worry more about champs that can be run in ff st that don't have arctic.

4. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

sorry i must be missing something.

isn't any and all possible issue with impeding snow resolved by the font bonus just granting ice walker for 3 turns.

that was part of the original suggestion.

5. urgoth16

urgoth16 Member

So font bonus:
    -2 ap on entry for FF and -1 ap for split deck ?

6. calisk

font bonuses don't have splits

7. urgoth16

urgoth16 Member

ah right
    sorry my bad

8. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I'm fine with impeding snow but I think it's only fair I mention that I hate splits.

doubtofbuddha and Pedeguerra like this.
  9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Why not make it impeding snow and have it also grant icewalker to friendly champs within the area?

10. alvane

alvane Well-Known Member

Any other ideas for Aspect of Infinity?
    She is possibly worst st rune now lol. Idk what to offer she seems beyond redemption with this costing system.
    Maybe with some manual mod. she can be viable. She was cool with blindfire + high range tho.

11. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

Not a fan of making ST's fonts consist of impeding snow. As someone else pointed out earlier, giving ST Leoss the shaft is just mean :*(

12. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

To which I must reply: how? I mean, out of all the scenarios that can come up in a match, walking through your controlled font isn't going to happen much, if at all.
    It's a simple and elegant solution, and much better than be stuck with our sh*t font bonus that we have atm.

13. calisk

well....the elegant soloution would be -1 ap per tile without the snow.

making it snow is the easy soloution, as it's already coded and easy to implement, despite having some possible case scenario issues.

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So generally, when designers talk about "elegant" we are generally concerned with intuitiveness and ease of understanding.

Thus, in this case, impeding snow is definitely the more elegant solution by that standard, given that it's actually consistent with the way that terrain works (tho the fact that there is such a thing as non-impeding snow is a related, tho different, problem). It also interacts with many existing systems and abilities.

-1 AP on entry per tile is... problematic for several reasons:
    • It doesn't function as a contest preventation mechanic in any way (unless combined with Annex)
      • And maybe this is ok
      • But attempting to circumvent this by adding some additional restriction to moving further pushes it into the awkward area
    • It's unintuitive because there is already an AP cost associated with moving
    • And having an AP loss/cost after moving, but not having it tied to the visual cue of the snow in any way, is also potentially unintuitive
    That said, -1/2 AP on entry does have the advantage of not impacting splits at all, but without any additional effect or Annex present, is probably weaker than the impeding snow.

So there are pros and cons to each.

15. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

My real issue with impeding snow is it establishes a precedent that supports giving FS impeding water and UD impeding lava and. . . and. . .

I like the idea of having each faction have their non-impeding terrain applied to fonts, though.

16. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

I've been playing with AoI some more and I feel like it could use a second usable ability, maybe something like bind, crystalize, or a grant ability perhaps reflexes,evasion,frost aura. I keep running into situations where I have nothing to do with the unit besides walk away from the fight, if the speed is reduced this might not be an issue but guessing it will still feel like a problem.

On a related note any chance she could get remove charge back? 8 turns with no way to improve it makes her key ability seem extremely slow.

17. KingJad

I don't think it does each font bonus is suppose to be unique and different while sticking to the lore/theme of that faction. The UD thing would never happen.. impeding terrain and 4 damage on entry.. pass

18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

While not exactly on the table I wanted to get your guys thoughts on the ST Bonus. Would you guys be opposed to a change if it was something along the lines of:

FF Bonus: At the beginning of each of your turns, your champions gain a Buffer of 2 HP to a maximum of 8 HP. (6 if it turns out to be too strong)
    Split Bonus: At the beginning of each of your turns, your champions gain a Buffer of 1 HP to a maximum of 6 HP. (4 if it turns out too strong)

It stays true to the faction flavor of being hardy and resistant to the storm so to speak. It reduced the up front strength of the bonus but over time would likely be stronger. It would also be very strong against DoTs and the like.

19. KingJad

It's pretty much the SL bonus with stacking but no scaling. Not a fan of the SL bonus so I wouldn't like this bonus. I'm pretty sure DoTs would trigger before it so it wouldn't be strong against them.

20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It would also help against DoTs, Spells, AoEs, etc. which the SL bonus doesn't help against at all. Likewise it would only likely help against the first auto attack unlike SL which would help against all attacks.

Last edited: May 31, 2015