Seems like half the coalition runes are breaking the game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mw24, Jun 1, 2015.

1. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I understand that overpowered new runes help sell packs but many of the new runes are way too strong.
    Elemental core sapping armor+menace, sonic and fire surge abilities, phoenix reborn ability,(fire phoenix...) hyeanid flamefist dash maneuver+flame wall,(is this a joke?...) fury of the storm and its expanding lightning field,(wtf!?!?)

wth have all those balance patches been for? Half these new runes(especially exo) are a joke balance wise.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    claydude5 likes this.
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Statis field annoys me greatly.

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Poison Wisp wrecking the meta

Right?

... Right?

But yeah, Flame Fist and Elemental Core are silly, the surge and menace abilities need rework.

Pipster likes this.
  4. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

To be fair this is the modus operandi for all releases in all card games, and Pox is no exception. Runes are released powerful enough so people really want to grab them, and they get nerfed afterwards to not disrupt the balance too much.
    Im ok with this.
    Whats problematic is when too powerful runes are left running rampant, and then we have a problem.
    So, honest question: did the "OP" runes from Ronin get tapped? Im not keeping track nor am I full aware of the meta, so before I go on rampage mode again I need this answer. Because if they did, nothing to worry about.
    If they didnt, oh boy.

5. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

These runes are breaking the game, you shoulda seen ghern juggler. It was literally allowing you to self destruct enemy champs and that isn't even the most broken thing from this expansion.

6. Pedeguerra

Hahahaha what the heck.

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yes, that was a bug. Grant: Death Nova was incorrectly granting Self Destruct, but instead of removing it we just let it stay and made it not work unless you owned the champ.

~

As for runes "breaking the game." I am seeing more and more that players see runes as "shoebox" or "breaking the game." There is very little middleground, it seems.

Of course, runes will be adjusted as we go, and we've already patched some of the stuff in Coalitions, and of course Ronin runes were adjusted the same way.

However, powerful runes and mechanics are allowed to exist in Pox. Get used to it. I am not going water down every single mechanic in the game just because it's "powerful," "meta," or you happened to lose to it recently.

8. Pedeguerra

Ok, I liked your post above, honest question here: if somehow I dominate/possess said champ, I will be able to use Self Destruct on it?

9. Sokolov

Currently, you can only activate Self Destruct if you are the owner. It doesn't matter who the controller is.

10. Sokolov

Addendum to my first post here: If you can make a coherent argument as to why something is over the top and needs adjustment, I will, as always, listen to the feedback. But "stuff is breaking the game" doesn't count :D

11. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

works only on owned champ, so no.

12. Pedeguerra

Ah, ok.
    Thanks.

13. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Neither Self Destruct nor Grant: Death Nova has had the appropriate update to the ability description.

Sokolov likes this.
  15. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I can't speak for what most players are saying about runes being shoeboxed or broken. I don't even think most players who comment even know much about the runes they comment on or often time about the game in general.(as far as balancing runes for competitive matches)

All I can say is alot of the new coalition runes especially the exo are kinda crazy and pretty much must have runes if you plan on playing competitive. I don't have time to go into detail and explain the issue with each individual rune but I listed the major problems in my earlier post. They may seem fine to you on paper but if you play against them a few times and see how they are used, you will see that the problems I described are obvious.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  16. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Idk, I've seen more broken expansions. The exos/legs from pretty much every release seem very strong because they bring in mechanics that no one has had to play around before. It's kinda just how card games work.

BurnPyro likes this.
  17. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

I can verify that the flame hyaenid dude is laughably strong

18. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

you recommend running 2x for the lols? School sucks, I wish I had more time to spam games.

19. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

school? lawl

20. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

It seems to me that the player base needs to catalog rune power somehow, we only know shoebox/meh/okish/op
    You or a dedicated player could start a serious thread about "Rune power scale" where we could oficially give names to power levels and discuss why runes fall in each category, which ones are justified, etc.