MTG Things

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

upload_2015-6-2_21-49-53.png

Why is this not a Treefolk?

2. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

Because treefolk have bigger butts (more toughness).

Morfeas likes this.
  3. Zone1010

Zone1010 Member

Did any of the Tarkir sets have any treefolk?

4. Dolcebrodude

Nope. And Dragons has a RUG elemental cycle for some reason.

5. Zone1010

Zone1010 Member

Never liked the idea of mountain hippies tbh.

6. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

2 WORDS: MARROW SHARDAGE

7. Dolcebrodude

I'm more of a PYROCLASM guy

8. Zone1010

Zone1010 Member

A little bit of damnation never hurt anyone.

Dolcebrodude likes this.
  9. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Treefolk are broad-leaved.

Duh

10. Dolcebrodude

Playing Damnation is like killing all the creatures with a pile of 50 dollars. That thing is expensive.

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Tell that to Redwood Treefolk.

12. Dolcebrodude

[​IMG]

I AM A CHRISTMAS TREE.
    #EVERYTREEISBEAUTIFUL

13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

because themes aren't really a good thing to have in tcgs. the reason why themes work for pox is because at its core pox is NOT a tcg.

14. Sokolov

This is just a lot of nonsense.
    • MTG released theme decks every year for like 20 years then.
    • Every block/cycle is basically just a collection of various subthemes.
    • Modern Masters is literally them taking old cards with themes in mind and putting it together and selling as a new set.
    • The colors (factions in pox, whatever in other card games) are all just a type of theme anyway.
    The reason themes are a good design tool in TCGs is precisely so that you focus your design in such a way that stuff works together, instead of all being stand-alone cards that you just throw in every deck. And the entire concept of deck types (Aggro, Control, Mill, etc.) are generally just manifested as themes anyway.

~

In any case, the question here is that what is a clearly a tree, and is even NAMED a CONIFER isn't a tree somehow, that's all I found funny. Nothing to do with "themes" or "TCGs."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  15. Ragic

why do you suppose that hearthstone doesn't assign all of its champs a race? themes do force certain builds. it will be hard to find tomblords in anything but skeleton deck. that's ok for pox though because there is enough variety of different themes that it doesn't rankle that there is no incentive to run a tomblord in a different kind of deck. Just as it doesn't rankle that I cant run a siege tank when playing protoss. yes I suppose you can extend the concept of theme to faction if you really want to, but it boils down to how the game is meant to be played. a tcg is meant to be an ongoing experiment in deck builds with an ever changing meta. strategy games are meant to be more of a contest of tactical ability using a given army set. true pox has tried to be a mash up of both types. and in its early days when the card count was low it felt more like a tcg. over time as the army sets (themes) became more developed, players started to expect those themes to be complete and competitive.

tl/dr: tcgs are about what cards you have. strategy games are about what you can do with those cards.

of course high level players in pox will deny to their last breath that their rank has anything to do with the cards they own. and they are for the most part right. its when those cards become must have theme enablers that players start shouting about powercreep. that's why I think of pox more like a strategy game than a tcg.

16. Sokolov

Because they didn't want to have races as part of their design? I mean, why don't they use land? Or colored mana? Why are some of their cards keywords and others not? Why don't all their cards cost the same? And, clearly, some cards DO fit into sub-themes such as Beasts so...

But anyway, how does this in any way show that themes don't work in TCGs or why the Conifer Strider isn't a treefolk as one might expect?

You make no sense.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  17. Sokolov

This is how I summarize the conversation:

Sokolov: Why is this tree looking thing not a tree?!
    Ragic: Because themes don't work in TCGs, and Pox isn't a TCG.
    Sokolov: But clearly themes are prevalent in many card games, in particular MTG.
    Ragic: Yes, but some Hearthstone cards don't have races.
    Sokolov: WTF does that have to do with why this tree is elemental instead of a tree?

18. Ragic

I didn't say hearthstone cards don't have races. some do. some don't. I thought you played everything. my bad.

19. Sokolov

I know what you said, and I know some of them have races.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

20. Ragic

this was the line that threw me. so... are you going to make a better attempt at answering the question why all their champs don't have races or do you want to stick with 'beause they felt like it' angle?