Playerbase level: critical. Override shutdown?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoganMkv, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Andralexis

Andralexis I need me some PIE!

As you improve in any activity previous difficulties lessen and new ones arise. This happens with everything, everywhere, not just Pox.

Having an entire building dedicated to Research & Development, M:tG might strike some as difficult, but never poorly designed. WotC allocates a large amoung of resources to ensure Magic developers are overqualified, to say the least.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

I've already posted my suggestions numerous times here since the transition, won't be a problem to do it another time though.

For new players there are two ways:

Easy one — just give everyone 30 untradeable "jokers", which can be turned into ANY rune with a certain cd and xp loss, also invest some time into recolors and other cosmetics.
    That way everyone can play any rune absolutely free, but if they want to rank higher or switch runes often or maintain multiple bgs or just look fancy, they have a payment option for this.
    When a player starts losing interest in a game he's already hooked to, he's much more likely to spend money than when he has no idea what the game is and faces only frustration.

Harder one — go with a "standard" way of splitting runes into unlockable tier trees (with purchasable premium/boosters and stuff), and somehow implementing team features into the main game mode, so if a player loses he still contributes something to the team.
    It would require another balance hell for lower tiers, but would improve learning curve — which really matters, unlike ability count.

As for keeping old players, there are also two options (but both make sense only if there's constant surge of new players):

Rmt potential — add some really hard to get game-affecting stuff (maybe usable only in a separate q), which would make best guilds and players fight for it, and leave them possibility to cash out.

Community potential — focus on competitiveness, streams, events, etc.

3. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

All of what you are suggesting are good ideas and we may not be doing exactly what you suggest, but they are on the same sort of wavelength

sounds as if you are going to like what we have planned for Expansion 26.

4. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

When you unneededly destroy the runes everyone paid for, You have to develop another 8 years to nurturing the players base back into a player base.

That said its champions like Vothsair at 90 Nora and pincushion under 75 is what makes more people stop playing

5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

typical green response. great things coming.... after this next expansion. how many times can they get away with that line? well it all depends on how stupid you guys are. and lets face it, if you've put any sort of money into this game since maljara, youre stupid.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  6. Moles

I have been fairly consistant with my messages about the longer term, I said in advance of Coalitions that it felt like it was going to be a stepping stone towards Expansion 26, we have been working our way towards some pretty big goals and we are now getting close.

7. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Did you know pox has 6 pages of achievements none of which grant new players anything ? You guys ever think about making them give gold or untradeable runes? Just a suggestion @Moles @Sokolov knowing that 3/4 of your current dying player base is saying give the core set runes for free that should really really be telling you something. Let's be honest nobody is buying core set packs anyways either give them for free or pox can dwindle into nothing, just my 2 cents and every other veteran left.

8. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

The achievement system could really use an update with regards to granting rewards. In a way the entire reward system is flawed. The player level system is useful how? You turn level 99 for god knows what reason. A suitable reward could be linked to this to make a player feel like he actually earned something by reaching that landmark.

9. Moles

Making plans and implementing them takes time.

10. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

In my view there are probably 10% players who play a game for achieving a rank, where as the majority 90% are actually in it for the rewards. So improving the reward system on the whole will probably have a better way of attracting more players. I have no knowledge about market strategy but this is just my general experience of playing games & players.

super71 and Moles like this.
  11. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

you are building a lot of hype for 26, I hope it lives up to it moles, I look forward to finding out whatever you do for 26

darklord48 likes this.
  12. Kaziken

Kaziken I need me some PIE!

@Moles

I feel that you all are doing a fantastic job. The revamp was a good first step and the new user experience is vastly better than it was.

Moles likes this.
  13. Moles

I am very hyped for 26 - I have been since we planned it a while ago, I'm hoping the things we have planned will make a big difference to the long term future of PoxNora, as a player of the game since 2007 I would love nothing more than to see PoxNora having roaring success and proving to all those that have stuck with it that it was time spent well, and worth the wait.

Fentum and super71 like this.
  14. stayflyazn

stayflyazn Devotee of the Blood Owl

i have faith that pox will get better. it'll just take time. there's only so much such a small team can accomplish with all the back tracking they have to do with the old stuff, bugs that come up and those that remain unfixed, and making new stuff as well in a timely enough fashion so that players dont think the game is dead. having pox thrown around definitely did not help nurture a new player base, so ranked has been stuck with the same old peeps for awhile. given a couple years under dog, i feel that pox came can get where it should be. we just gotta stick around and support them till then.

Gnomes likes this.
  15. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what we - old players - like or not.
    The whole point of this thread was that it turned out we had already passed the point of no return — with all the improvements to rune accessibility - forgeable legs, decent forge rates, tourneys, events - playerbase only continues to decrease.
    Now you just have to go all-in and try to rebuild it from ash, half-measures just won't work.

16. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Agreed.

17. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Has anybody read " the name of the wind" and how the librarians have trouble cataloging the stacks because there were manny different chief librarians that all used their own way to organize everything. I kinda feel thats what pox is a bit like.

Anotherblackman likes this.
  18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

SoonTeeEm

19. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Ok. I get that now. o_O Thanks!

20. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

@ the devs...

Do you actually involve the general community in the specific updates / new runes for upcoming expansions, beyond the general forum threads?

I read a lot of unsolicited advice and I read of a restricted set of forums accessible only to 'the council' but I'm not sure what that is. Do good players get the chance to give specific feedback and thoughts on proposed runes there?

One brief suggestion would be to check the game development blog of a board game called Xia. That was role model in terms of informing the fan base as development progressed, and seeking input to design decisions.