No boxes for gold, but add new expansion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poxbrothers, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think it would be interesting to remove the boxes out of the gold store and rather only sell packs for in game currency, in order I think the latest expansion should get added to the gold store as well. I realize a lot of you might disagree with me, but I honestly believe it to be the best option.

I have been thinking about this for quite a bit and I will first explain what I would like to see and after that I'll explain why I do believe this to be good for the game.

I think something like this would be ideal:

Gold prices:
    Core set pack: 1750 gold
    Extended set pack: 3500 gold
    Latest expansion pack: 5500 gold (achievable, but expensive)

All boxes for gold removed.

Owl credit prices:
    Core set pack: 100 owl credits (why not sell core packs?)
    Extended set pack: 200 owl credits
    Latest expansion pack: 200 owl credits

Core set box: 950 owl credits
    Extended set box: 1750 owl credits
    Latest expansion box: 1750 owl credits

What this would achieve:
    - The game is 100% F2P, every rune is accessible by just playing the game.
    - Getting a latest expansion pack with gold is harder, and rightfully so, it should not be easy.
    - As a new player I don't feel forced to save up for a box, instead I can buy a pack every few days.
    - As you now faster get some runes, you can faster customize your BG or start trading.
    - As a new player when you do get that Exotic in your farmed pack, it'll feel "Firking cool".
    - To buy (with credits) the latest expansion box looks interesting (gold price vs. credit price comparison).
    - Buying boxes will grant you easier access too Exotics, with less Exotics dropping from F2P (around 10% less) this makes buying more attractive.

Looking forward to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Sincerely,

Josh753

jesterman7 and Zenity like this.
  2. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I agree with the boxes for gold part, but not everyone does.

I also agree with selling expansion packs for gold, although strictly speaking all content is already available for free if you take trading into account (which very few free to play games allow).

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Nope. Getting exotics is hard enough. A better idea, imo, would be packing some shards into packs to offset the guaranteed exotic. Eight shards maybe.

4. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

I will not support any idea that
    1. Encourages even more hoarding of exotic or higher rarities
    2. Creates even fewer options for a player to get into the game
    3. Would end in a 'you do this or just don't bother' system
    I could have read this wrong. But forcing people into a 'carrot on a stick' situation without the option to save and gain (which is exactly why I love how they set it up now) is just not an idea I think will help Pox out.

Some of the pricing ideas look interesting, but no, I do not, I cannot, support fewer options.

Goyo likes this.
  5. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Tbh I wouldn't mind a 5 pack box as a middle ground that just has an extra chance of an exo.

The gap between saving 3k or 30k is kinda large.

I can also see selling a single random rune for 320 gold or something close. I can see myself idly dropping a lot of gold into that sink.

6. Napalm Monk

Napalm Monk Member

Making the game 100% F2P should never be something that a company wants to shoot for. These guys paid for their game back. They are putting a lot of work into making it better and deserve to be rewarded when they earn it...you know, with money.

Walking that tightrope between P2W on the one side and F2P on the other is difficult enough without suggestions like this.

7. Mercer Skye

Now here are some things that would be neat to see. I could get behind a middle ground option. The first pack gets 'downgraded' to a 50% chance to be exotic.

And I like the 'gamble' pack idea immensely. How much is daily quest gold accrual at the moment? Somewhere around 500? Sell a 500g pack that can contain one of ANY rune ever created ever. (.oooo1% chance on some maybe, but still a chance).

So now you'd have four options for any personality type;
    1. I want a pack a day, even if it's only one rune
    2. I can wait a little while, but I really would like to open a pack asap
    3. I aim for boxes, but about half way there....I just tank out.
    4. Is that sunlight? OH GOD IT BURNS MY EYES!!.....back to grinding gold. :p
    The point, imho, is to expand the model so that it caters to all four types of addiction.

8. Boozha

There is a big problem with boxes being a much, much better investment than packs. But making boxes not accessible via gold is not the answer.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Mercer Skye likes this.
  9. Mercer Skye

I'd beg to differ. If anything, EVERY company should be aiming for this. Look how lucrative Riot's LoL model has been for them. There is absolutely nothing in that game you need to spend money on ever, and yet they've blown up into one of the biggest names in gaming.

Blizzard's F2P endeavor in Hearthstone. While a lot of people out there claim it's only popular riding on the back of the franchise strength, it stands as a game that's floating on its own without requiring one single penny spent.

There are other examples out there. I can't stand that game Maginogi (Or however it's spelled) that my niece plays, but if memory serves, it's one of the top grossing F2P MMOs on the market.

Rift? Absolutely F2P / Pay4Convenience. It's not blowing holes in the bank with revenue, but it holds its own.

Heck, even crap RPGs out there like Neverwinter are making money hand over fist on a F2P model (Thought arguably, this is likely the worst example of how to do F2P)

10. Dantezz

Dantezz Member

Although I think there are a lot of good ideas floating around, I think this discussion should be tabled until we have at least one full expansion (or maybe two). The devs have put a lot of thought into their model and I know their goals include making money and expanding the player base. We have seen some small changes recently, like gold rate, and I am sure there will be other tweaks as needed. But as far as a big change to the business model, it doesn't seem to make any sense until we know if the current model is working. Let's be patient and see how it goes.

11. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

I realize I did make Exotics a bit more valuable, but I think you're over estimating the value change.

As I make gold prices for packs drop a little bit, "Exotics" become a bit cheaper (easier to get a pack -> easier to get an exotic -> price drop, around 2%)
    Adding latest expansion runes to the gold store make "Exotics" in that expansion drop a tad in value (around 20% for said expansion, or around 2% price drop for total of Exotic value)
    With removing boxes for gold, I do make "Exotics" a tad more expensive (around 9%, within the borders of the forge, which makes incredible high prices for Exotics not possible)

Making a grand total of an inflation of 5% in Exotic prices, 5% more expensive Exotics for a complete free game, which has more possible income and might be more interesting for a new player as said new player now constantly gains options to improve their BG instead of being stuck with the same runes until he grinded a box (just because value is that much better)?

Keep the "better value" for the paying customers, making buying interesting, while still making the game even more F2P, what is not to like?

Of course these numbers are up for speculation, but you get the point, in my opinion it's still worth it.

PS: Napalm Monk, if you believe F2P to mean no income for the game, you're deadly mistaking, I see Mercer already pointed out some examples so I will not elaborate more on that.

Sincerely,

Josh753

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  12. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

You may not find the "carrot on the stick" very ethical, but it does work. Why do you think it wouldn't help Pox? Because people would be upset, if they see through this? But if all you offer them is the pack option, they won't even know what they are missing. All a new player sees is the carrot on a stick, constantly just a few games away. Now if you make this carrot juicy and nutritious enough, nobody will ever feel upset about it either.

The "character test" of having to save up for a much better deal may appeal to purists, but from a marketing POV, I really can't see what this is doing for Pox to be honest. The game is hard enough to get into as it is (understatement of the year), without requiring iron will for gold-purchasing decisions to feel satisfying.

Poxbrothers likes this.
  13. jesterman7

jesterman7 The King of Potatoes

I just got an Angel from a box so I was going to vehemently disagree with you :mad:

However I agree with you. :eek: Boxes are a heck of alot to save up for, just to guarantee one exotic. Getting players to buy packs more frequently would keep them more involved. The price ratio of getting an exotic is still the same you just aren't getting a lot of packs at once.

Poxbrothers likes this.
  14. Takums

Takums New Member

Take into account the 5% chance to get a non-forgeable legendary instead of that 1 exotic and the replacement shards doesn't seem very fair.

15. Boozha

The chance for legendaries would actually be the same from pack to box, wouldn't it?