Remember when sok said he was going to fix hp stacking by nerfing Boost/Commander/Etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by claydude5, Jul 21, 2015.

1. claydude5

claydude5 The King of Potatoes

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Gotta admit, I chuckled.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Regal Presence is probably on the way out, for HP at least.

4. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Delete ST

5. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Pox is balanced.

Hey now. Not cool.

Pattn199 likes this.
  6. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Sorry, I'm not that heartless.

Delete 92% of ST.

7. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

Santa is Real

fixed that for you

8. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Fixed that for you.

9. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

Why thanks...............

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If you have specific suggestions or concerns, please state them. Otherwise, this sort of post isn't particularly useful.

11. claydude5

Ya, just remove regal presence from the game entirely, increase the cost of boost and have themes gain synergy in ways other than stat stacking. I have said it before but I love the themes you made in the Crusade of the Vashal and Wild Alliance type of themes rather than the stat stack classic type themes.

Some themes that is their thing like moga, beasts, and skeles, but maybe tone that part down while helping the internal synergy.

Dogpile, Murkwater Frenzy, Boon of The Wind, and others are examples of the type of ability themes should center on, a burden to meta bgs yet a fantastic boon in themes.

12. Sokolov

Regal Presence is slated for changes. I haven't fully decided on what yet.

Do you feel the changes to Boost/Commander have helped? Or should that direction be continued?

13. claydude5

I think passive stat stacking is dangerous and must be balanced on a knife's edge. If the runes that have the stat boosting would be deployed anyways in a theme, they become even more important (see DK, Skeezick Blackguard, Bunny Lord, Cylcops Chieftan), but if the runes with the stat stacking don't bring much else besides the stats, they are underwhelming "tempo hits" (wonebing, boghopper mentor, Albino Fesh).

What I would do is learn more towards the active, buff, and temporary side of things. We see this have success with Noble Sacrifice, Buffer, Rock Defiance, and declare target.

For example: Warcry is a powerful ability even after the nerfs, and is probably still overpowered. What if warcry was an active ability that caused the next attack, if sucessful to give the warcry buff to nearby champs for their next basic attack. This would mean instead of 2 ap and 2 damage for doing something you would want to normally, you would have to pick and choose when to use it, and would not be able to abuse the +2 from warcry into things like Keg Toss or cones. The other thing this would do is make it so there is counterplay to warcry outside of staying away from the unit with warcry. You would need to be sure your attack would be sucessful before using the ability.

Another example I would give is Encouraged. This ability is pretty insane on moga cannon because of artillery's wording "When this unit makes a basic attack, all units within 2 spaces of the target takes fire damage equal to 80% of this unit's DMG." Instead of nerfing abilities that would hurt other champions, you could make encouraged no longer give +1 damage to the rune, and instead give a buff that says "When a friendly champion succesfully attacks, this champion's basic attacks deal +1 DMG for 1 turn. This effect stacks" or something along those lines. This would mean artillery wouldn't hit for insane amounts, but the basic attacks would be the same damage as before.

Rather than stat modifiers that are permanent, focus on actives and buffs that are temporary and DO NOT EFFECT A RUNES STATS.

Pipster likes this.
  14. Sokolov

Good post, and I generally agree that active abilities are more interesting than passive stat stacking (tho I am not sure it's easier to balance). It is why I changed the way these work so that BGs (not just themes) are less reliant on stat stacking. The overall stack potential has been significantly reduced.

So, for example, you'd prefer bringing back the old Ferren Focus vs the new Discipline abilities, as well as abilities like the "Exploit" series.

Warcry currently does already require a successful attack?

Pipster likes this.
  15. claydude5

Actually I was saying I like the discipline type of fix where you have to pick and choose your spots rather than just swing. It also makes the game more interactive and raises the skillcap.

With warcry I was saying that rather than swinging with reckless abandon, the active would only trigger off your next basic attack, meaning it would have to be successful to give the bonus. Think warcry would become like a discipline type ability. Then the warcry buff rather than giving +2 damage would give a buff that would cause the next basic attack to deal 2 additional damage, reducing the damage for cones but keeping basic attacks the same.

16. Sokolov

But Discipline just adds +DMG the way Encouraged does. The trigger is slightly different, but it still affects the champion's stats - which seemed to have been your main point at least given the caps.

But it seems like that's not the case. It's not stat stacking you have a problem with, it's that you prefer if stat stacking is restricted to active abilities or restrictions.

Or perhaps a better way of saying it is... you are OK with stat stacking as long as it isn't passive or on every attack.

17. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I believe themes that have Defender/Commander/Boost will remain more powerful than themes without them due to the efficiency of the abilities. I believe the changes have helped since you no longer receive multiple increases to the same stat, but it is still more efficient than not having the ability. The only way I see around this is to make it so the champions receiving the benefit are inefficient, but that makes them vulnerable to losing key units.

18. claydude5

Oh I was confused. I thought you meant the active as opposed to passive. Yes I prefer the activeness of Disciplines, but prefer the nonboosting damage increase of the old ferren focus.

Also what I was trying to say is that the stat stacking problem wouldn't be as widespread if you had to pick and choose who, what, when, and where to boost their stats rather than just grouping them all.

It is much easier to stat stack when you spread out things like Regal Presence, Boost, warbanner, Commander, and Defender, than it is to spread out the stat stacking with things like Buffer and Noble Sacrifice. By making more things actives with ap costs and cooldowns, you would reduce the reliance on cheap meat and summons being boosted.

So yes, I agree with "It's not stat stacking you have a problem with, it's that you prefer if stat stacking is restricted to active abilities or restrictions.".

Sokolov likes this.
  19. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

The way this post turned around is remarkable. I don't think i've seen claydude be this civil and articulate in awhile. Pretty good suggestions/points aswell.

Sokolov, mortal ix and KingJad like this.