Tome fo hate

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by Oromiis, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Oromiis

Oromiis Member

Can someone explain to me how can i maximize the tome of hate utility and what's the best bg pls? I've been running it in the public deck "Chopping Block" and it's kinda hard to make proper plays while he sucks away all the life of my already soon to be dead minions.

2. vitor

vitor The King of Potatoes

The purpose of tome of hate is to take advantage of your faction bonus, because say you and your enemies lose your champions, yours are gonna be up 60% earlier, so thats a reason and its also good to help on healing on all the scrying damage and ancient protection (a spell that prevents the use of your opponent's next spell, at the cost of 35 nora and 15 shrine life) you may have taken so far.
    Overall its really good, because that and unholy tomb makes long game good for you, as every turn your enemy takes 3 irreductible damage, making, on the long run, you having more runes available.
    When to deploy is a matter of situation, if you think it isnt going to damage your tempo, deploy, the sooner the better I think =]
    Hope I helped

OriginalG1 likes this.
  3. Oromiis

Oromiis Member

Thanks for the tip i've never though about my faction bonus nor did I thought about the long runs matches! Really appreciated thank you! :D

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

As much as I would love to say otherwise, you should probably only run Tomb if you have at least one unit that damages your shrine, two in the case of spells. It's not worth it for just grinding out Scry damage unless you really want the global ticks. As for how to use it, that shows up in a couple different ways.

Outside of the game, Tome of Hate really cares about how you build your BG. The more expensive, flimsy units you include, the worse it will be; the more shrine damage sources you include, the better it will be. That, however, doesn't mean you need to jam in a bunch of Scorn units. I usually run a pair of Death Guards and that's enough to make Tome a great rune.

Don't deploy Tome unless you find a good reason to do so. Unlike Unholy Tomb, drop-and-forget with Tome can really kill a game. It's a bit tempo hit and doesn't get you anything back, so you need to be ready. There are three major cases where deploying Tome is a good idea, so here they are in order: when it will get you a kill, when you really need the shrine healing, and when you want to put on the thumb screws in a standoff. The ones listed first are the most likely or easiest to calculate, and they proceed in descending order. As a new player, try not to worry about that last one just yet, because it can be a tricky judgement call. Generally, hold off on playing Tome until you find a good reason. Have a plan when you play any rune, especially a passive, expensive relic.

The best time to drop Tome is when you know you can get a kill right on the turn you deploy it, which you would otherwise be unable to get. Perseverance is the most common source of those kills, as Tome of Hate will kill any unit with a triggered Perseverance without granting time for healing or even Regeneration. Also, it is a guaranteed 2 LoL, so you can add that on to your attacks.

Also, if your shrine starts dropping really low on life -- low 30s -- consider dropping Tomb, especially if you think you will soon need to use something which will damage your shrine. Don't get caught with your pants down, where you're forced to choose between deploying a Tome of Hate to save your 1-shottable shrine or a Death Guard to save a key unit. It would be best if you could sync up this and the previous reason, but sometimes that's impossible.

Last thing about Tome of Hate is mental: calculate the damage to your units, but ignore it on an emotional level as much as possible. Fretting about injuring things you own -- especially when it's the right play -- will only hamper your chances. You must always be willing to put down Tome while you have a 6 HP ranged unit with no healing, because sometimes, that's the right play. If you want to play with fancy toys and keep your units alive, steer away from Tome of Hate, maybe even FW in general. Every undead is a piece of trash; your job is to know when to recycle it. Never feel bad about hurting your own units.

Oromiis and Fentum like this.
  5. Oromiis

Oromiis Member

Thank you Kalasle that was really an eye opening! I was having struggle while playing the public deck because my minions were getting more dmg that they could do and with the dmg of the tome it was kinda tricky to make proper plays, at least for now! Really appreciated for the help thanks once again :)