Tanglefoot and Fireoak Builds

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by Gorebucket, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Originally, Tanglefoot and Fireoak were rapid attacking champs with Flurry and Multiattack, respectively. Various changes have left them both somewhat lackluster. In looking for ways to reconfigure them into forms that are both balanced and attractive, I've come to this conclusion: If Tanglefoot focused more on being a Rogue and Fireoak exclusively on being a beater, the theme would have two useful and unique champs. Specifically, Tanglefoot could adopt Fireoak's utility and Fireoak could inherit Tanglefoot's attack frequency. Here's what I've come up with:

Tanglefoot (60 to 69)

Attack Physical
    Dragging Attack
    Entangling Attack
    Upgrade #1: Shatter (6), Snatch (8), Pilfer (10)
    Upgrade #2: Hidden: Vegetation (3), Stealth (8), Shadowstrike (12)

Result: Sneaky support unit that impedes enemies and drags them into range. He is cheap and gains survivability via stealth and access to single target support abilities currently prevented due to Pariah, at the expense of some damage potential (most of which he lost along with Flurry anyhow).

Fireoak (72-86)
    Attack Fire
    Stationary
    Fire Aura 3
    Upgrade #1: Multiattack 1 (8), Multiattack 2 (10) Multiattack 3 (14)
    Upgrade #2: Teleport 1 (6), Teleport 2 (10), Teleport 3 (14)

Result: Teleporting, burst damage unit. The combination of MA with Teleport (which he had in the past) helps make Teleporting in to attack worthwhile. Tradeoffs in movement or frequency of attacks can be made to achieve the desired cost. Nice builds are available in the mid 70s, but anyone who wants maximum Teleportation is looking at 80+.

Optional: Fireoak could gain base damage or even Surge with this build (with the associated cost increases) and be an expensive treefolk worth paying a high price for because of his enhanced threat level. I don't want to give the impression that I think every champ should be had for 75 nora, but I believe that high nora champs should have impact. Fireoak could be such a champ, but since I have no way of calculating this to find an ideal configuration, I just leave it here as a PS.

Support? Suggestions? Objections? Erections?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Gnomes likes this.
  2. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Fireoak is far less playable than Tanglefoot right now but I like both ideas. I think Fireoak's damage is a little low for a champ with such downsides. Still, nice work!

Gorebucket likes this.
  3. KPIC

KPIC Devotee of the Blood Owl

I can not help but disagree with you some. The flavor text to me dictates more of what these should be.

Fireoak - Cursed long ago by Grimlic, it prefers to burn in peace. (meaning it has no real attack, mostly defensive abilities)
    Basic Attack: None
    Fire Volatility
    Mindwipe Aura
    Plant Regen 2
    Pull
    Stationary
    Teleport 3
    UG1 - Grant Fire Aura, Cleansing Flame, Set Ablaze
    UG2 - Flame Charge, Flame Armor 2

Tanglefoot - "Get away, get awaagghk!" - Nudbum, Moga Hooligan (meaning the enemy is getting swallowed up in branches)
    Basic Attack: Physical
    Entangling Attack
    Plant Regen 2
    Take Root
    Unequippable
    UG1 - Multiattack 2, Rapid Attack 3
    UG2 - Constriction, Shatter, Shred Defense

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Something is less playable than tanglefoot? IMO even frond is more playable than tanglefoot right now.

I actually love this change though. I always thought that take root should get buffed a load, and then the non-summons part of trees should revolve entirely around taking root with everything continuously. This shadowstrike dragging attack seems to fit with that perfectly.