help with some math.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tricky1, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Tricky1

Tricky1 I need me some PIE!

My 17 damage ranged unit attacks an evasive rank 2 1 def SL champion for 3 damage. My math is 8, where did I go wrong?

Yes, those are all the bonuses. it was a duel, 1v1. no splits no buffers, I attacked multiple times still only doing 3 damage. -_- <---- add that face to the emoticons list.

2. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

Peridot Sphere was on him?

3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

what were the units in question?

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Serpentfly and Drakewing Swarm are the only two possible SL champs.

5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Not entire sure how rounding up would be but first 17 would be reduced to 13 from SL bonus. then negative 35 would make it 9 ( i think) and then defense would make it 8. only way i can see that making sense is drakewing swarm in which case the math would add up perfectly to 3

6. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

16 (-1 def)
    12 (20% SL)
    7 (35% evasive)
    3 (50% numerous)

Everything was rounded down... heh, you shouldn't attack the drac flies with range haha!

@Sokolov Can you confirm the order is correct, and that everything is rounded down?

7. Tricky1

Tricky1 I need me some PIE!

woooow numerous completely slipped my mind, I could have sworn some time back they nerfed it ontop of the double aoe damage. Goyo got the math. That's still some bs.

Forgive my banter, I felt cheated. Should be playing game more but eh w.e.

8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

double aoe damage was an original feature of numerous, iirc. can't remember any real nerfs to the ability because of that.

i don't believe drakewing had evasive on release though, that was a much more recent happening.

also the way i remember sl bonus working, the bonus came before defense. but that's really a minor point i think.

9. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

SL bonus is before defense

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The SL bonus comes before defense, and it would subtract 3 -- 1 for every 5 points of damage. 17mod5=2, 17-2=15, 15/5=3. Then, -1 for DEF, to 13.

Now we're left with 13 DMG and two modifiers, a 50% and a 35%. We know they aren't summed, because then the resulting damage would be 1.95, and it would be impossible to make it 3. Therefore, they are calculated separately. Unfortunately (I'll get to why it's unfortunate), both of these calculations need to round down in order to subtract the 2 points of damage to hit 3. No matter how you order them, both Evasive 2 and Numerous round down. The real trouble is that there's already information saying that Evasive rounds up; it's unfortunate because the numbers don't sync with prior testing.

There's a silver lining though: new data! I did the Evasive testing myself, and used Evasive 1. I had assumed all ranks would follow the same rounding rules, but they apparently don't; Evasive 2 rounds down, Evasive 1 rounds up. Based on these numbers, and the other data available, the obvious pattern would be that all 20% reduction mods round up, and all 35 and 50% reduction mods round down. If Evasive 3 rounds down, this rule would seem consistent (I'm not sure it does though).

Also, in this case, the ordering of defense and the SL bonus doesn't matter because (DEF)<(DMGmod5)

Goyo likes this.
  11. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!