Runes Cap per BG (More feelings)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengercm, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

Now I also wanted to mention if we had the option to make 40 rune bgs and here's why.

I sometimes make 2 bgs of the same theme because I have more than enough of those runes to use. So just by the fact that it would be more fun to use those extra runes you really want to use it makes it better.

I could use some fading recollection, drain vitality, purefire, retribution, fireblast or superiority which are great spells but I also need stuff like Maddening Echoes, Shatter, Demolish, Sacrifice etc. in my bg.

So I NEVER have room for maybe 10-20 runes.

I always see meta bgs using champs from different themes just because we need that specific option. I would prefer if we could choose the two things we need than choosing a champion from another theme that completes the requirements. I hate the fact that the better bgs aren't fully themed and it takes away the fun of it. I would like to add another rune just so I can maintain the purity of the theme.

2. daeminicus

daeminicus Devotee of the Blood Owl

30 runes is fine imo.

badgerale, Ifem21 and IMAGIRL like this.
  3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

30 is fine. I'd be immensely happy with 32, but anything higher is pushing it.

chickenpox2 likes this.
  4. Revengercm

Well I think it stops draw wins or one bg's runes combination takes advantage because I didn't have that specific rune I needed. Maybe 34.

5. daeminicus

It also more then likely would increase the length of games, removes tactics and just make bgs stuffed of all kind of stuff.
    Leave it at 30.

6. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

You won't need demolish or sac.

30 seems a nice tough call. I remember 20 and that was worse.

Ever played a la Mage Wars, with all runes revealed turn one? Proper wizard spell book duel.

7. Revengercm

I just want that every bg can counter every other bg instead of being lucky with your picks.

8. daeminicus

Why play if every thing had a counter to everything!
    This game is alot about skills, tactics and building a prober bg. You will have pro´s and you will have con´s.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'd rather see 20 rune BGs than 40 rune BGs.

badgerale, Netherzen and IMAGIRL like this.
  10. Revengercm

Because it's all about predicting instead of knowing he has no way to counter it because that theme doesn't support it.

11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

And bases, and taunts, and name change tokens....

Leadrz, Pattn199 and darklord48 like this.
  12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Bring on the side decks!

Anima26 and Iskandak like this.
  13. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

truthfully I wouldnt mind a larger battlegroup,, I play mtgo also,,, they dont have deck limits,,they do have a min..60..
    , one would think the more cards you put in yer bg the stronger your deck would be ,, not so,, like pox,, magic has themes and such as well,,, so the idea is the more cards u put in,, the more watered down yer deck will be,, giving u less chance to get yer staple runes on the field because the % of them being drawn is reduced everyime u add another rune,, in affect adding another layer of stagety,,,to big to small?
    when I play a guy wit like 89 cards. (u can tell how many cards yer opponent has) im like ok I got this...but if I see 60 -62 cards im a little leary,, a disciplined player..
    but better or not. there hellafun.

14. Revengercm

I get it takes a but more time to think what should I use but sometimes it's obvious to cleanse instead of sacrificing or retribution. 3 Runes should be revealed per turn. I wouldn't have any problem having all the runes revealed from the start.

15. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

You might want to check out the physical boardgame MAGE WARS. It's just like Pox with actual books of spells (= runes such as creatures, equipment, damage spells, etc) All available from turn one.

No limit to number of spells. Rather a limit to overall cost of total spells in book. Simple spell is 1 point, powerful is 5. Spells out of 'theme' cost double. E.g. Nature, fire.

Neat concepts.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  16. daeminicus

If u run a certain theme u cant require it should have it all!

Flaws are flaws.

17. Iskandak

Iskandak The King of Potatoes

Mtg has a limit of 4 cards of any uniqye card + you take 16 to 24 land cards. So basically u have 40 spots for 10 different cards. Pox hosts 30 spots for 15 different runes.
    Making a bg that counters everything is very hard but thats what meta runes are for. They do it all. Themed bgs most likely cover a lot and are good at it. But you might run into counters.

18. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

thats if u play a 60 cards deck wich u dont have to...
    individual cards have limits of course, , but not your entire deck.