ST Monks

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by IronStylus, Sep 17, 2015.

1. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

As many of the monks got reworked (ferpent is now one!) I think it's time to look at them. Im interested in this theme but I haven't built a bg yet. I guess it's possible to make a FS split with some equipment and spells from FS but there is not racial on monks from this faction. I guess the 'x discipline' is their strenght and cannot be avoided. As someone who never played ST and want to start, what would be core runes for the theme? what is meh and what is auto-include?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Monks were a theme developed during Geden look out, after the Owl Revamp.

Some people didn't like it, specially since Ferren lost Ferren Focus in favor of some random Disciplines.

Other people played them and found them powerful enough, and some of them found they were boring at the same time.

A year and a half after that, Sokolov took place and gave Ferren it's true form and nature.

I'm in the boat of "remove Disciplines" because I don't like the whole Monk forced synergy. Anyway if you want to try it out, you should filter ST units by class Monk, and choose the cheapest ones with some Discipline on it.

It helps to build up a BG and then post it in the forums, so people can give you direct feedback on what do you want to achieve.

3. IronStylus

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  4. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Bastion of Will is the definitive solution against Nohkan Do counters. Improve that with healing and your ST monks are pretty much invulnerable. You can include Glowing Slider as your heavy healer, or Jakei Maiden.

Check out Boghopper Thunderfist and Ferren Master... Both are cheap and great. I would drop the expensive ones.

I believe you will suffer from not drawing Bastion of Will if you want to stick with the stall strategy, but you can tune up your BG once you encounter some problematic situations and adapt to them :)

GL Stylus (Y), come back to talk about your experience.

5. daeminicus

daeminicus Devotee of the Blood Owl

If u gonna build monks u will have to build around the disciplines that are still left.
    Otherwise u got no real synergy except the class.....

6. IronStylus

Ok, i bought some runes (worth) and i must say, the synergy between the champions is very poor if it's about disciplines. While some of my champions have 15-17 dmg at some point of the game i don't think it's enough to make a competitive bg. Disciplines are really hard to stack (I'd rather see something like patience: if this unit did not attack this turn it gains +1 dmg, this stacks up to 3 three times; would be nice synergy with nohkan) and they should have +2 dmg increase, which wouldnt be op looking at our new salamans, or should have cooldown of 1. The theme is absolutely pure fun, hard to play and not rewarding.

7. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

There's always Northern Wind Discipline. The only reason that spell isn't auto is because it deals separate damage( for example 10+ 5+ 5, instead of 20), making it useless against IS bonus, or even weaken spells. When the damage isn't reduced however, it can reach a surprisingly high number when the monks are correctly positioned.

But my biggest problem with monks right now is that Nohkan Do has been nerfed half a dozen times( being dramatic but I have to be) and still remains at 8 nora. With the ever increasing amount of AoE's and the disgusting Distract counter, playing monks right now is little more than a gamble.

Pox has changed too much, and having themes like ferrens and monks that focus only on basic attacks or on countering them( no detection, no shatter) does not cut it anymore. Not by a long shot, not for a long time.

Goyo likes this.
  8. IronStylus

Hey lushiris, I've played with the bg with quite surprising success. Nohkan do isn't a bad ability and people still say it's a pain to play against it. Remember, I play FS split and for distract things i have included circadian songmaster which resolves all my problems not counting shimmering flower, but for flower i have again songmaster (which doesnt suffer from distract) and loot. I played succesfully against IS, KF and FW meta decks already and didnt have much problems with those factions. I just don't use northern wind discipline against IS and its included x1.

Full savage tundra deck though might be not that strong, because no detection and shatter is a struggle. I don't think it's a really viable theme. Disciplines are also really hard to apply and not rewarding at all. After some thoughts I could suugest it gave +2 damage to the monks.

9. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Yea, but sometimes all your enemy needs is one turn of distract. My point is that it is a far too hard counter considering it's pretty common, and Nohkan Do isn't really cheap.

10. IronStylus

there is a counter to everything in this game, and i think nohkan do one is like you said risky, maybe a bit unfair. Well, the problem is within the theme, not my deck.