2015-03 to 2015-09 Player One WR (Map Data)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Sep 15, 2015.

1. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

@.@

I love graphs.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

• Data contains ~1800 winners and ~2300 losers

3. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

How do you have more losers than winners?

4. Sokolov

I should clarify those are unique counts.

Let's say there are 4 players in the game.

Player A wins all his games, Player B wins 50%, Player C and D never win.

You now have 3 players who shown up under losers (B, C, and D), and 2 who show up under winners (A and B).

5. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Wait a second so you mean to tell me all this time higher ranked players are more often winning games going first ? Also that going first always gives an advantage i'm sure nobody has said this in the past.

Is it possible to get the numbers for higher ranking players and how often they go first against lower ranking opponents ?

6. Sokolov

It's a pretty well known phenomenon in turn-based games that there's a first player advantage. It is why Pox and many other games has given those going first advantages.

This data does not show that high ranked players win more often as first player, however. It shows that when games occur between players of similar ratings, the first turn advantage is more prominent. Additionally, it shows that when players have greater differences in rankings, the first turn advantage diminishes relatively.

7. Sokolov

Um.. sure, but I don't see the purpose.

8. super71

Because most games i have watched the higher ranking player usually goes first, if you don't see the purpose of numbers on whether the higher ranking player goes first against a less skilled opponent more often when we just confirmed going first is an advantage i don't know what to tell you man. That would essentially mean they are getting 2 advantages one being they are more skilled, they are also going first more often.

9. Sokolov

There's no specific reason why the system would make higher ranked players go first. It would have to be something that was specifically coded in on purpose, and there's no good reason to do that extra work in order to do something no one would want.

But I'll check the data to see if there's anything weird going on there.

10. Sokolov

Overall #:
    upload_2015-9-21_14-2-43.png

Scatterplot of all games (excluded some small number of games where one player had -1000, 0 or some other erroneous rating):
    upload_2015-9-21_14-2-53.png

Sunnydays likes this.
  11. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

Could you please let me go seconden in every map everytime i play leoss? Not being able to deploy in round 2 70% of the time firking sucks.

Qucas likes this.
  12. super71

So it's not by a huge amount but it's still their thanks for putting that chart together.

13. Sokolov

It's statistically insignificant. In over 90k games, the higher ranked player went first just 132 more times. A coin flip has just as much variation as this. So I don't see how you can claim "it's still there."

In fact, depending how we split up the data, it shows something different too:

upload_2015-9-21_14-25-59.png

So if players have greater than 100 difference in ranked, the higher ranked player actually goes second more often (again, statistically insignificant).

upload_2015-9-21_14-28-30.png

Here it is again by month, where sometimes the higher ranked players go first more often, other times they go first less often - which is exactly what we'd expect if it's basically 50/50.

(Note: This is a good way to verify conclusions sometimes, incidentally, is by looking at different slices of your data to see if the conclusion holds true over time, or across variables that you'd expect to not affect the results.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  14. Sokolov

GlaurunGod likes this.
  15. Sokolov

Ah, the colors :D

16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

This may not necessarily be because the map still provides an advantage to player 1; from my experience watching games, people just haven't a freakin' clue how to actually play out the early turns.

17. Sokolov

upload_2015-9-22_13-32-52.png

Strangely, it seems like the opposite is true based on the time-line here. It's almost like it started out pretty even, but as players got used to it, Player 1 started winning more often on it.

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Didn't the map see a change between its creation and its present form? I seem to remember it being harsher on the midfont split at one point.

19. Sokolov

It did, but the change basically made it harder for P1 to contest one of P2's fonts. and that happened in the middle of/late May.

20. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Axilium what the Pox. Why so many plays on a newer map??? Yeesh, apparently people REALLY liked it. Good, I guess?