I want to get into SL

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by Lupefi2, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Lupefi2

Lupefi2 Devotee of the Blood Owl

I now own (almost) everything in UD. After leaving pox for about 2 years and coming back i decided that this time around i was only going to play factions i hadn't played allot of in my younger days. Back then i only cared about FS/ST/FW/SP. Now that i've gotten a bg for pretty much every theme in UD, minus gobos. I want to get into SL.

To start i have some questions i was hoping you guys could help me answer. I know literally only small counter play things about SL and basically only the spell sets and champs used in Kanen bg's.

1. Whats the meta look like? Meta has recently been dominated by themes in pretty much every faction instead of just highlander bg's doing great there have been great themes. I know skeezick was good last patch and from what i've seen just looking at dragons and draksar they both look strong but i have no idea how they play in game so i was hoping you guys could help me here.

2. Iconic runes I need to know or have. Things like retribution, righteous defelection, unobstructed veiw and so on... are all runes you kinda need to know about if you play the faction they're from. What are SL's, for lack of a better work, "iconic" runes? I see allot of hive so i'm geussing that its an autoinclude but i am basically clueless on a what a good spellset or good equips are. I really need some help here.

3. and last but not least. Which theme/bg should i start with. Price is not an issue i got plenty of runes to trade off atm so basically, what i'm asking is. What theme will give me the best feel for SL and is the most fun!? Not necessarily, the same answer you would give to number 1. I'm just looking for fun themes and interesting combo's as well.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

I theme to rule them all... SAND :D

Seriously it's good. Take a couple "meta" ranged units, sand support and sand mele, dune walkers mantel, you are good!
    You want Tardigrads (really strong in sand but good in general), locust, manticores, dunewalkers (at least one), sandkips, recommended to have imperators, burning sands and sandstorm. Everything is else is either preference or standard spells and hive relic.
    This is my BG:
    image.jpg

I know @DrSteve has been running a pretty successful version using harbs and skeezik bolter.

3. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Hold on, stop, wait.

You have to try goblins before moving on from UD.

They are a lot of fun.

4. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

Picked a rough time to start playing SL, lol. Fattyt2k's bg is a solid jumping off point, although I'd run skeezick bolter over sandhunter, especially post sandblasted nerf. Dragons are still also probably good, but I'm definitely the wrong guy to ask about dragons. Of the two, dragons are the much easier and straightforward bg to play in my opinion, but I would recommend sand because it's totally baller and teaches you the finer points of counter deploying and being aware of the right deploys for the situation.

As far as faction signature spells go, you're looking at Quickening and Draconic Benediction (I don't run DB in many bgs anymore, it's still ok though) for powerturns, Burning sands and Acid storm for AoE (Sandstorm is great right now too if you're running Dunes manticore with Spellsurge: Sandstorm), and Purge, Magnetize, and Cancel Magic as your utility spells.

As for equipment, you'll probably want to run a quarry mark in anything, and 2 dunewalkers mantles if you have decent sand generation. Relics are pretty straightforward; hive and banner in everything, can add some others depending on your bg (i.e. transmission relay in dragons).

Qucas, fattyy2k and Fentum like this.
  5. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

Honestly, I use sand hunters more for magic and spreading sand. You have to explain the value of the doomballs in sand before I use em.

But yeah those are the basic guidelines for SL

6. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

Dooms are just inexpensive magic damage that are better than sandhunter. They're not essential or anything, and I usually don't like deploying them to be honest. I run them with punish which make them good sidefont champs.

7. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I've tried running them for Punish in an Indignance thing. True, it was a shitty split with IS barbs, but still, I didn't like deploying them either.

8. Lupefi2

I just don't like gobo's!! I know you love them fentum but that is just not my playstyle

Fentum likes this.
  9. Lupefi2

10. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

11. lifetaker

lifetaker Devotee of the Blood Owl

so this is what i run for my meta.
    https://poxbase.com/deck/cogcpmcmcY...63c7Xczhcu0cgwcqis6Ls4is6Us84s2-s4PrPr2Irxe1l

for some reason i couldnt add draksar pursuer and im also thinking about taking out Dreadnought
    the reason behind tainted statue is so im not getting spell spammed which happens a lot when you play SL. so it has helped me out a lot.
    It wouldnt let me add the new equips but i run two of those as well

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  12. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Yeah, Nea hasn't updated poxbase.com in quite a while now, hes been busy irl i imagine. The latest expansion isnt on there and a lot of the recent balance patch changes havent been added either. Bare that in mind.

13. lifetaker

lifetaker Devotee of the Blood Owl

yea i noticed. its fine though