My Box

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crisian, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

It's been a while, but you are no doubt correct. OMG how many hours playing the original contra...

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I think Boozha is saving his gold for Ronin's release so that he can get some of this release's runes in his box. My understanding is the same as you, that the current release gets added to extended and that the new current release is cash only.

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

It will be cash only, but I will have a chance to gain the runes of this expansion in the gold box then, which, due to prowercreep, are probably going to keep some value. It is not going to make a huge difference, but since I kind of have what I need right now I'll hold.

4. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

It's too much luck IMO. It can leave a bad taste after grinding for a month, and an even worse taste after spending 20 bucks for a box.

There's another thing that bothers me: An Elven Valor theme deck gets you a reliable pox box value of about 150k (maybe more) for 30 bucks. In the box I bought for a little less than 20, I only got one Exotic, but it was a Whisperghast, the most expensive Exotic on Pox Box, by far, for 100k. Had I been any less lucky, I would have fared much better with the theme deck (then again, theme deck runes are harder to trade for out of stocks).

I don't like this, it feels too much like gambling. That was always a part of the game, and I am more than willing to accept it, but if it becomes too blatant then it feels... dirty.

I still think that encouraging boxes for gold is a bad idea. Packs provide better carrots on a stick and it's much less frustrating if you don't get anything of value for it. The actual drop rate and price of packs for gold is alright IMO, it's pretty much on par with games like Hearthstone and the fact that we are allowed to trade freely provides a not to underestimate avantage.

For cash boxes I would really like to see more guaranteed value and less gambling. Otherwise I find it hard to justify spending any money on this other than for expansions, and it could drive collectors towards the grey market which nobody really benefits from (other than the grey market).

5. Boozha

Yep, its too luck-based. I hate randomness with a passion in all aspects.

6. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

The problem is more due to extended comprising so many expansions. If there were more granular control over the expansions you were buying, things would be better.

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I think one way to encourage the use of cash would be to allow players to choose which expansions their box had when paying cash. That way if a player comes and goes, which a lot of us do, we could pick which expansions interest us, or the ones that we have less stuff from. When paying with gold, you can still get a box, but as they currently exist.

8. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

You should go away and quit complaining.

Spiderchap likes this.
  9. Dantezz

Dantezz Member

What I find interesting is the concept of grinding. I play the two dailies to get the first chunk of gold. That takes me all of five minutes. After that I just play the game. I play because I enjoy it. I do like to see my gold go up but I never watch it, it just goes up because I play. Do players actually sit for hours playing certain campaigns for a certain amount of time just to max out their gold? This doesn't seem like much fun to me, but if that is your thing then so be it.

On topic, packs and boxes have always been luck-of-the-draw. I have had boxes with one exo and boxes with 8 exos. I wouldn't mind if it would be a fixed number, like 2 or 3 exos per box. But if you buy enough the numbers will average out. Also, with the new system of combining expansions I think it has lowered your chances of getting the exo you want. But on the other hand, I guess that is incentive to buy early when there is only one expansion for sale.

10. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Well, OP, that sucks that you got a bad box, but you knew the odds going into it and sometimes they don't pay off. At its heart Pox is a card game, and even in traditional card games sometimes you pull bad cards. My best advice is shrug it off and just play the game until you get enough gold to get another pack/box.

11. crisian

crisian Member

lulz, tried my luck with a single pack today...lost queen.

i can't say i've had all bad luck w/boxes, but honestly, with one limited 150k rune i could easily trade for more than the combined total of my 5 boxes.

on another note, it's all free so what the heck, thanks pox.

12. Boozha

I feel your pain. This randomness is no fun. Imo, they should not give a chance of exos and instead put shards inside that represent the average of exos you'd've gotten.