Good Free MMRPGs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Vorian, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

This is a thread to post good free MMORPGs. GW2 is amazing! Aion allows you to fly. Path of Exile is better than Diablo 3.

2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I had a lot of fun with Lord of the Rings Online. All of the older content is free to play, but you have to earn the credits needed to unlock the content as you go which means there is some grinding involved ( though grinding seems to be part of the mmo experience anyway ). So it's fine for players who don't expect to power level up to max level in a couple days and start doing raid content. It's also very soloable. With instancing in the main quest line the game can generate solo versions of dungeons that you would otherwise need a group to attempt. Also there is s random group feature that makes it easy to find the bodies needed to do group content if you prefer that. once you've hit max lvl and are wanting to do raid stuff I'm not sure how free or solo friendly the game is at that point.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    SaintKiwi likes this.
  3. Ragic

Another one I've enjoyed is Firefall. Sci fi FPS and the jump boots are hella fun. That one does a good job of having regular server events. It's more about zone wide zerging of objectives rather than group based dungeon crawling, though there's that as well.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  4. Ixion

Ixion Well-Known Member

Molten Wow (a private server for WoW works nearly as good as vanilla)
    Wildstar (the f2p system seems legit and its a mmorpg wihtout tab targeting)

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Wildstar is a blast

6. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

(Coming from someone that hates MMO's with a passion.)

Starforge is kinda fun.
    Crowfall is an upcoming one that I'm looking forward too.

Somehow, I knew you played Wildstar.

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I did when it came out. Funny enough I downloaded it again last night and had just restarted playing when this thread was made.

8. Saprophyte

Saprophyte Member

Phantasy Star Online 2 is by far the MMO I've played the most out of any MMO in years. The Japanese version will an unofficial translation patch, as it's the most up-to-date and stable version with the most support from both fans and devs. I've either maxed or nearly maxed all of the classes on one character, but I'm taking a hiatus from the game at the moment. (That's kind of why I'm even here in the first place, or else I would be playing it instead. <.<)

A lot of people have been waiting on the English localization for it, but I'm here to tell you don't hold your breath. Just go play the JP version. It's worth all of the hoops you have to jump through, just do it.

9. Ragic

PSO 2 though

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I waited with baited breath for them to announce the NA release and they didnt even have the courtesy to rip out my heart.

11. Saprophyte

Saprophyte Member

Sega has no intention of ripping your heart out. They intend that you'll wait so long that you're gonna wind up like this guy.

12. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

back in the day 2moons was pretty good. though now nearly the entirety of its playerbase are just spam bots that use to market feature to advertise

13. Saprophyte

Saprophyte Member

*Dekaron. 2moons was the name Acclaim used for it, before they ran it and every other game they had into the ground and got absorbed (read: liquidated) into Playdom. I actually played 2moons whenever it was in (perpetual) beta when Acclaim was running it. I have a lot of fond memories of that game around that time, but jfc, what a downward spiral. I tried playing it again after GameHi took over, but the playerbase was so little by that time and there was vachacker bots on every map I gave up quick.

I don't know how Nexon is handling it, but given that game's extremely rocky history in the west, I don't really even want to try it again.

14. Ragic

Anarchy Online is another sci fi mmo that has been around for 14 years! They went F2P a long time ago so they've had plenty of time to get it right.

The thing I remember most about it was the way you could customize not just with equipment, but also a full set of implants (that can also be customized). I remember having to beg the zone for stat buffs just so I could equip my new implants. Also I thought they did the cities extremely well (for the time), felt like being in a blade runner movie. Engineers are a lot of fun to play cuz of the bot pets they can make. I might have to give that game another look. It's kind of like the poxnora of mmos. Smaller playerbase but just won't die.

Now THIS is what I call patch notes.
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?613558-18-7-0-Update-Release-Notes

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  15. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Rappelz is good if you're able to grasp quick leveling concepts.

Lvl cap is like 160 Or something

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Wow is free to lvl 20.... which takes about 2 hours even without looms.

17. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

I played this pretty much on release and love this game. Not played for a few years, but it is still the best I have played. That may be nostalgia talking, but I don't think so. So many build options!

My favourite remains my Atrox doctor, armed with a beam. Huzzah!