The biased noob ST-VoA review

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Hiyashi, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

I'm not actively playing and have no idea what I'm talking about. Which is why I think this might count as feedback from the super casual crowd. Maybe it will come in handy, but probably not.

Crystal Slag
    Cheap ranged thing doesn't really do anything special other than eating summons and being cheap. If crystals or summons become big it'll probably be a popular rune. If you don't want it to be vulnerable to physical you can still run it at 60n with another hindering ability. Which seems ok for the stats.
    It's very ugly though and the gooish identity of slags clashes with whatever a crystal is supposed to be. It's also rather ugly.
    It doesn't make me feel excited about the expansion and doesn't really bring anything too new to the table. That's probably allright for a common but it still gets a meh out of ten.

Twisted Frostvine
    Looks neat and does neat stuff. Frostvine Snare seems like a great counter against ranged things. I kinda feel like there was a missed opportunity to make the rune even cooler by giving it something like "Ice Front 3" and Tunnel Snow instead of teleport. But eh. It looks playable and I generally like it.

Wingmaster Cleric
    Looks like a solid supporter for flying things. It's kinda a pity that it's another 2x2 flying for ST. There are quite a few of them out there already and there are only so many fatties that you can fit on the board. But I guess that one person who actually only played flying things will be sort of happy about it. Only "sad" thing is that Commander isn't doing anything for Strig, but they'll deal with it somehow. Or not.. since they are mostly unplayable anyway.
    The sprite makes her look pregnant though. I don't know if she should be on the battlefield in this state.

Yeti Magister
    I always wondered how the runes for the random LE recolors are picked. It seems that you always manage to recolor something that I find completely unappealing. Something like a white Ice Dragon, black Keeper of Memories with glowing red eyes or simply a yellow Snowman would be great for the next recolor. But that's probably just my opinion.

Yetihound
    I don't even know what that is supposed to be. I'm also not sure if yetis needed another close combat beater. But I guess Fellowship can be good enough to make it worthwhile. Combat Awareness and it blowing is probably also decent for something. It's still some kind of "what?"-rune to me.

Frostfall Heritage
    ST has very strong spells which makes any new spell have to work hard for a slot in any BG. And I don't see this one ever making the cut. It's just kinda meh to me. I don't know if there are many relics over 20 HP out there. With banners being dropped down to 20 lifepoints and mostly everything else I can remember being 20 HP or less you'll probably use the bolder throwing monk for your anti-relic needs.. or at least that's what I'd do.

Endless Iceberg
    No idea what this is even trying to do. I guess it might be dropped in font contest situations. But eh...

Ice Dragon Statue
    Frostfall Heritage without the relic destruction but with free placement. Still seems very horrible. I guess in best case scenarios you'll hit two enemies and contest a font with it... but that'll likely never happen in real life. It should probably be priced at 30n for what it does.

Overall I find this expansion to be OK when it comes to the runes. Nothing world shattering but that's what the whole other stuff is for that you put in the game, I guess. The exotic appears appealing enough to warrant some cash being thrown at DoG and the "fillers" are doing their job. Could have been better though.

Now if you (the general you who might be reading this) actually have a clue about the game and what's good and/or bad I'd be thrilled to read your opinion!

2. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I think frostfall heritage will most certainly find a place in peoples BGs, seems very strong.

I also think cleric is great for the flying theme, boosting damage and healing and just being generally great.

3. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

the cleric is also a beast so it can commander beasts and there are some nice flying beasts that get full healing like the renovator and doom bringers. Plus the other owl riding jakei like juya and raiders are beasts. The commander feels a bit odd to me for flight because I normally run so many different races ( beast, strig, dragon, jakei, fairy, elemental, demi god, angel ) But bgs can be tailored to fit it more and it can find places in bgs like beast because of it ( I think I've seen a couple different people using beasts with it ). The reduction on arctic flight is a very nice change for flight bgs as well.

4. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

looks good i think the relic changing from 20 to 40 nora weas a bad move to high

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Compared the relic to Thunderhead, which sees plenty of play.

6. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Similar, but Totem is superior.

Ice Dragon Statue's CD 3 is the reason it won't see play as much as Totem.

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Commander: Flying is supposed to be on the Wingmaster Cleric, will be added in a future patch.

Ice Dragon Statue's Arctic Bolt has been fixed to CD1.

Cydna and nakaruru like this.
  8. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Sounds great. Too bad that nobody wants to give me a Ice Dragon Statue for that Flaming Skull that I never wanted in the first place!

To get back to the tree. Would you consider replacing one of the teleport upgrades with Tunnel: Snow? It won't be a popular upgrade choice but it likely beats having the option between teleport, teleport or teleport and there might just be a terrain enthusiast who'd appreciate some tunneling snow tree action.

9. Sokolov

Sure, why not :D

10. Sokolov

Also, if you hit BM rank you get a copy of both LEs :)