Everything has too much damage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by super71, Nov 25, 2015.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

We have gotten to the point where every unit can get 16-20 damage and very quickly. Mostly the game evolved into this because of all the defensive tanks that could live forever, however now i am seeing 60 hp champs with all sorts of defensive abilities being one rounded. The majority of abilities on champs ignore defense entirely, so i guess i am curious if defense upgrades cost too much now.

I'm tired of seeing all 20 damage champs running around or flying around especially when they have a 5 or 6 range attack.

poinl and OriginalG1 like this.
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It does feel like damage has been creeping up for a couple expansions. Part of that might be seeing minos around more, which are a UD theme with a lot of melee (even for UD), so they hit hard. Another part may be that people are just building stronger decks, and high damage is really good, so competitive BGs jam as much BOOST POWER as they can into their setup.

3. super71

The problem is offensive abilities are much stronger than defensive ones and usually cheaper. Look at an ability like calcify or absorb, i look at calcify as basically +2 defense as very rarely will an opponent attack twice and absorb is very similar. The problem is every theme now has ways to get to 20 + damage and some of those champs can be ranged.

It's not just ud it's many themes now, defense has gotten to the point where i'd rather all my champs have 0 defense and just get a nora reduction.

4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Your problem is with this being a content driven game. The fix is to go back in time about 5 or 6 years and start listening to me.

DarkJello likes this.
  5. super71

Not at all the last couple expansions haven't been bad except a few overpowered runes that are still running around now.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think damage would scale back if healing scaled back. There is a ton of healing out there right now, and if you aren't x/FW with Wounds or Skull, you will have a really hard time of it without the ability to one-rounded any kind of enemy. As it is, FW can afford to play a lower damage game because of their breadth of counters to healing.

poinl and Pattn199 like this.
  7. super71

Healing matters less now also, most champs get one rounded to the point where healing has become an afterthought. I rarely have a problem with healing anymore but i have a big problem against extreme range. 9/10 when my opponent puts a healer down his utility is just to be a healer, healers can be engaged and killed easily as they are support and always have low hp.

Except life giver that things silly.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That was the point I was making: high damage handles high healing, so that players don't have to worry about the latter, but scaling down damage too much will reveal the power in present healing options. If damage gets scaled down, so should healing. Extreme elements of any game can produce masking effects, which disguise other important pieces of the game by hiding them in second place.

Tweek516, poinl, Pattn199 and 4 others like this.
  9. super71

Healing has been getting scaled down though, the recent transfer life nerf.

10. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

Meh. UD is too low on damage compared with the other factions.

11. Kuthillick

Kuthillick New Member

One of the biggest issues at the moment is Adaptive in conjunction with the most recent powercreeped damage stats. However - if we attempt to lower damage stats without touching healing, not only do decks that rely on heals get more powerful, but Dread decks or the dread/damage reducing mechanics in general, get that much stronger since losing 3 damage out of say... 15 total is only a 20% drop, while losing 3 out of 12 total is 25% and 3 out of 9 total is a 33% drop. The ripples from trying to balance this would be quite a bit larger then a simple fix should do. The solution may be giving more anti-offensive options, as well as a cutback in DMG powercreep (keep DEF and HP powercreep intact) over the next couple expansions and releases. Also a Hunter: Power (against champs with 14+ damage or something) could be interesting.

DarkJello likes this.
  12. Iskandak

Iskandak The King of Potatoes

I agree that most "tanks" get killed quite easy atm.
    However, the biggest upset in this category comes from FW which just ignores all armor of protective abilities with all the healthloss.
    But in FW's defense... FW pays for it.

13. Iskandak

This is also why cheap meat has worked so well

14. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

I think it's generally good for the game, as long as you can realistically react to it. I hated the meta like two patches ago where it was like "lel here's my GRE and bouncer, enjoy dumping 200 nora into them while my terraformer eats you". The meta right now feels a lot more positioning and planning ahead based, which is good I think. The only bad thing is that metas like this lead to a lot of draw win scenarios where you just simply can't deal with early threats without giving up massive board control.

poinl and super71 like this.
  15. super71

I hardly consider anything a tank anymore because everything get be one rounded so easily now.

16. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

It definatley has creeped up but is nothing compared to the days when Corpse was running. I dread those days.

17. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

Personally, I think this game works best when it is built around the target of one rounding a champ at least once a round. Whenever the culture of the game has become that games have been much more exciting. It demands more reckless and aggressive play which tends to speed up the match times too.

18. Scrijordan

Scrijordan I need me some PIE!

LOL A nerf cry on delim after you camp against this bg and it was right after the game lol

19. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

valid points,, for me its mostly about the dam and potential dam of range.
    aside from artillary,catapult type mechanisms, range should not be anywhere near melee dam. thats the point,,, u can do dam from a relatively safe place,, as opposed to melee who does big dam but places itself in danger, a military trade off.. range IS the support..
    instead we have range dam thats commonly equal to or greater then melee,,
    get the range back in line , focus on melee battles and the game will head back into a militarish* tactical type game instead of spiderman and his amazing friends.

and no there are no real tanks anymore...k maybe mosharn

super71 likes this.
  20. Iskandak

Anything with colossal