Steam Sale, what are you getting?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 29, 2015.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Share you recommendations with those with fortunate of knowledge.

Anyhow, Witcher III looking mighty good? How good is it, what's it like? Comparisons with Skyrim?

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I haven't tried Witcher 3. Witcher 1 had a good storyline, but wasn't a huge open world. Also the combat styles felt like a paper/rock/scissors game.

I picked up Armello and Massive Chalice. Armello is basically a strategic board game that you play online. I have a couple hours in so far and I've really enjoyed it. I got it to play with a couple old friends that live too far away to see regularly. Massive Chalice I got since I heard it was similar to XCOM but in a fantasy setting.

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Witcher 3 is fantastic, no idea about Skyrim.

I'm kinda overloaded with games already ...

4. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

So far I've bought...

Tales of Maj'Eyal
    X-Com UFO Defense (I used to have it on PS1 and decided it was time to rebuy it and relive the glory days)

I'm thinking about...

Galactic Civilizations 3
    Pillars of Eternity
    Cities Skylines
    Rebel Galaxy
    Subnautica

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I recommend you splurge and spend the full $2.99 on the X-Com Complete Pack instead of just getting X-Com UFO Defense. The extra $1.75 is worth it for X-Com Terror From the Deep and X-Com Apocalypse.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  6. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

I already had Terror from the Deep from a previous sale. :(

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I picked up Mass Effect 1&2, Transistor, and Hand of Fate today. I'm done for the duration of this sale.

8. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I have not really seen much that actually tempts me to buy it, though I was eyeing Cities: Skylines. I just got a computer that can really run Witcher 3 though, so I am probably going to play it though, and I guess if I had been smart I would have waited until now to buy it.

9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I'm mostly in it for the cards as I have a backlog and also saving money for other stuff.

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Do you use Idlemaster to get all the cards?

11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

no I click trough 3 discovery qeues a day during this sale and actually play the games I already own.

12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Considering getting R6: Siege. That game looks awesome.

Just kidding. Pox is my one true love, you traitors.

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bellagion likes this.
  15. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Somebody has too much time on their hands.

Anyway I picked up Moonchild and the Common Sense DLC for EU4. Dominions 3 & 4 and Conquest of Elysium 3 are on my wish list and are on sale as are Panzer Corps and Predestination. The latter has a graphics card requirement beyond what my computer has so I have to be careful with it. Some of those games work OK and others don't.

I saw others listed on my 'follow' list mentioned by others.

I plan on getting Dominions 4.

I've been playing Gems of War a lot recently. It's a fun arena, match-3 type game that has a basic strategic layer I wish this game had.

16. doubtofbuddha

Dominion 4 is pretty fun, though I found the micromanagement:fun ratio to be not quite good enough eventually.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

We live in an era of enlightened media criticism.

18. doubtofbuddha

Sometimes I have trouble telling if you are teasing me or being serious.

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Which ever it is, it is always meant with love.

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  20. doubtofbuddha

I find that a lot of strategic games suffer from this particular flaw, though this may be a reflection of my advancing age rather than anything inherent to the games itself. Like this is where I would put some of the recent strategy/tactical games I have played for any length of time:

Dominions 4: Very High Micromanagement: High Fun
    Civilization 5/Thea: Moderate Management: Low Fun
    Europa Universalis/Crusader Kings 2: Moderate Management: High Fun
    Endless Legend/Endless Space: High Management:Moderate Fun
    Pox Nora: Moderate Management: High Fun (sometimes Very High Fun)

I usually end up skipping a lot of strategy games if they look like just endless retreads of what has come before, and most of them, unfortunately, do. They are Civilization plus or minus something else with a thin veneer of some sort of thematic differences that end up just being switching some numbers around rather than having a big impact on how the game is explored or experienced.