A Case Against Splits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doubtofbuddha, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Bpets

Bpets New Member

Found this gem in the last sentence of your post. Seems like you have no problem with splits if it advances your agenda.

2. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

Funny thing is some of my split BGs already work this way
    ST Salaman, ST Tortuns, UD Leoss to name a few.
    Not saying those are competitive though, they are mostly untested

3. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

Yeah i wanna see more cut and paste racial bgs so i can bore myself to death before i spend more money on the game

4. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

ST Tortun? This interested me.... how this actually works?

5. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

I'm 100% ok with splits existing. Dont really want to homogenize the decks in ranked any more than they already are

Netherzen likes this.
  6. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

yeah theme decks tend to have that.
    Now that I think of it, could change splits altogether. Say you can only runevery runetype of 1 faction and then stick to it; you wanna run ST champs and split with FS, then you have to pick FS spellset or relicset etc and respectively allocate the split runes.

7. narvoxx

Artic gift with portal mage & freezebug keeper (only ST champ), tortuns deployed early do not have -1 speed on ice due to stability racial. Gale squishing works with turtled units now that the tortuns lost unstoppable, ferren hideout to help with how slow they are and then millenial icequake for funzies (which can be mostly avoided by yourself because of turtle). Also I figured 3DEF scales pretty well with hp form ST.

Like I said, it's an idea that I haven't tested yet but I put the bg together anyway

8. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

I dont think a Protectorate Faction would ever Ally with a Wrath faction but there are stories of traitors and stories of dark powers influencing certain people or groups in a faction which can cause a split in faction. I think split factions are good for diversity.

Alakhami and Qucas like this.
  9. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Tortuns are also somewhat synergetic with SL due to battle fatigue not affecting them and quicken allowing doubletapping if needed.

10. narvoxx

They used to be really good in SL, but not anymore. The old racial was basically Turtle, Ponderous, Unstoppable, 3DEF and Tortunstrade. Tortunstrade generated absurd amounts of nora when you attack (1 for every other tortun you had out). Ponderous kinda prevented you form attacking a lot though. But SL's Quickening and Draconic Benediction lets you attack a lot more, and those extra attacks generated nora in return so it was a really good BG powerturning. And like you said, battlefatigue with unstoppable.

Now, unstoppable is gone (and replaced with Stability: this champs speed cannot be changed, I think mostly to prevent FF KF Tortun BGs) and some tortuns have banditry instead of the old tortuns trade

11. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOO , OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOO
    Thats some Political level dirt searching we got der.

Checkmate Buddha

Tweek516, JellyBerry, Qucas and 2 others like this.
  12. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

You are right. Me making an off-handed comment in support of using a rune in a split once completely invalidates all of the complaints I have against them and completely discredits me as a person. I am now going to leave pox nora in shame.

JellyBerry, Agirgis1 and Alakhami like this.
  13. Bpets

Bpets New Member

It's not that difficult when they post about a split champion within 24 hours of trying to say "logic says splits don't make sense". I can't speak for other people, but I usually don't make "off handed comments" within 24 hours to that state I directly disagree with what I believe and plan on trying to debate against within 24 hours.

14. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Disclaimer: I don't agree with @doubtofbuddha on this topic.

But, I don't think that post contradicts his argument at all. The way I see it, his arguments against splits are
    1) Flavour
    2) Abuse
    So, if there was a way to ensure that splits were always flavourful and weren't a source of abuse, he would be in favour of them. Trouble is, there's no way to do this - so he's proposing we get rid of them all together.

This champion design, however, is both flavourful and (probably) wouldn't be abused in splits - the two problems he has with them.

15. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I like themed splits but dont like meta/goodstuff splits.
    Currently loving my IS/SP electricity bg.

Ifem21 likes this.
  16. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I don't consider it worth discussing this subject with bpets. His/her contributions so far were mocking my claim that internal logic in a fantasy setting is worthwhile, complaining my post was too long, and a really ineffectual attempt at a character attack. You can feel free to do so, but it is clearly a waste of time.