Why is Carrier Squire a paladin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alakhami, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

He doesn't look like one.

2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Squires generally serve to assist knights. Knights are paladins. So he is a paladin.

3. Scathex

Scathex Member

Squires are in training to become knights, but haven't yet become one. it does seem off to me.

4. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

A servant doesn't become a king just because he's serving the king.

5. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Knights are knights though... aren't they???

I mean in Pox... Knights are a thing in their own right. They don't equate to Paladins.

OriginalG1 likes this.
  6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The difference is that a servant serving a king knows he will never be a king. A squire is usually the child of a knight or noble training to become a knight. Squire is a paladin because he is a member of their order albeit the lowest rank possible.

Lushiris and Ohmin like this.
  7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

But he does become part of the royal court in some way.

~

I think it's more of a practical matter, we don't have infinite classes.

So we have to do something for each rune that seems to make sense.

An apprentice mage is not a real mage yet, maybe? But it still counts as a Wizard because we don't have... "apprentice" as a class (and that would be ambigious anyway).

Lushiris likes this.
  8. Sokolov

Yea, I don't actually like the Knight class, because it overlaps heavily with Paladin and Warrior.

But I basically consider Paladins a subset of Knights, and also I'd say "squire" in this case can be "squire to a Knight" or "squire to a Paladin." Since IS has many Paladins and he is training under Paladins... it makes more sense that he is Paladin and not Knight.

Sealer0 likes this.
  9. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Carrier squire is a paladin because even if he's in training yet, he shares the religious views of the order and that allows him to receive the blessings of the gods (or just Al'Mara?) and he's trained enough to receive the instruction of the commanders (able to benefit from commander paladin and others) that's my opinion.

10. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Does this mean you're thinking about removing the Knight class?

11. Sokolov

I am not planning any class additions or removal any time soon, no.

12. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Nah, Knights are Knights. Paladins are Paladins. Check the classes in the checklist we got'm both.

13. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

,as far as skill set, they would mostly be equal, ,, but a pally usually serves some religious/divine order above all things, , a holy warrior one might say..
    while a knight will usually service a king whether the king be just or not... a paladins order are usually quite strict,, not even allowed to amass wealth.
    while you can have a free lance knight who serves no particular banner,,, a true pally would never consider this.
    and the squire even tho not having yet received his title, would be considered a knight in training... for gaming purposes a squire in the knight class is totally feasible.

barbarians and humans?,,, now that makes my skin itch..

14. Qucas

Qucas Guest

Cause IS is OP

Lushiris likes this.
  15. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

The question is why is barbarian a race.

And why is inquisitor magnus a barbarian, human?

is his mom a barbarian and his dad 'civilised' her or is his dad a barbarian who pillaged her village and kidnapped her?

16. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Because barbarians, despite formerly being humans, can't be called that anymore as their environment( Sarnghaver) changed them permanently. Just like Jakei aren't elves, or Lonx aren't Garu. Only those who remained in Elsarin can be called humans, as they retained their original characteristics.

17. Ssharsted

Ssharsted Member

So whats the difference between a witch and a shaman? I think half the shamans better fit my idea of a witch - e.g. Witchdoctor

18. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

a witch gets flying from witching time.

19. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Shamans draw their power from nature, Witches draw their power from the dark arts( DMZ, Foul Rites, etc).

20. Sokolov

In other words, Witches are cats.

OriginalG1 and Qucas like this.