Win ratios - Overall and faction specific

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ssharsted, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Ssharsted

Ssharsted Member

I like numbers....
    I like data....

The currents "bars" in drums of war suck big time. As I understand them - they only show accumulated wins, and are therefore not factoring in how many games have actually been played with each faction. It is completely useless.

So naturally I would like to have acces to win/loss ratios both an overall for each faction and 7 faction specific win/loss ratios for each faction.

I should be really easy to program and calculate.

All games should give 4 game points and 2 win points. If 2 FF BGS faceoff both Factions get 2 game points, but only the winning faction gets 2 win points. I believe you can figure out what happens if a split faction is involved.

Win ratio = win points/game points

This would give a bar like this: ScreenHunter_008 Feb. 11 21.42.jpg
    note the two boxes allowing you to get only FF information and Battlemaster games.

Further more it could be worked into a faction specific win/loss ratio, which would also be a great way to look at "territory" between the different factions. The following picture is how I imagine it could look like - The grey areas between the factions should be colored according the win/loss ratio. I couldnt do that in my power point.
    ScreenHunter_008 Feb. 11 22.00.jpg

This would give real information. Be fun to watch how it develops. It will give a much better basis for the NERF discussions, and help balance the game.

And really - It is not difficult to make at all.

What do you think?

OriginalG1, chris0024, Xirone and 5 others like this.
  2. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I support this.

3. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

I like stats and numbers as well, I would gamble most players do ,as a game like poxnora would naturally attract such like minded people.
    yes statistics, data , numbers..I want em too!

4. Heart

Heart I need me some PIE!

I like this idea a lot.

5. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

not gonna happen because too much effort

6. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I do too.

Love Graphs like this.

Overall, I'm sure Sokolov has a system like this already in place internally. Where else would he dredge up the Meta stats from? Speaking of which. @Sokolov Requesting another Meta report.

Heart and doubtofbuddha like this.
  7. Ssharsted

Ssharsted Member

The overall win ratio is really no effort at all, and it could easily be changed into a graph where you can see changes over time.
    The faction specific is requires more work - but would also be that much more interesting.

8. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Everytime someone wins, someone had to lose so the the winner can enjoy his victory, and I'm against that.

9. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Go back to handing out participation medals to loser children, ye i'm looking at you timmy, you unskilled piled of 6 year old garbage.

10. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I don't trust data anymore considering after the revamp Trees were the most OP theme and blew every other theme out of the water and they only had a 50% w/l ratio.

Vorian and Lushiris like this.
  11. Ssharsted

Ssharsted Member

Where did you get that information?

12. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I believe it was Gedden that posted that information.

13. Ssharsted

Ssharsted Member

Well if that sort information already is available to the devs - then making my suggested graphs would really be no work at all.

14. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

It was bait, but I was expecting someone else to be caught to be fair.

15. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

It is really easy to look at data the wrong way or to draw the wrong conclusions from it. Keep that in mind whenever someone presents statistics.

16. Ssharsted

Ssharsted Member

It definitely is easy to look at data the wrong way! One should always be careful with statistics.
    But do you think the present forum discussions are better off without access to graphs like the ones I have suggested?

17. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I was just commenting on Cydna's statement about trees. As for whether the forum discussions about the factions being improved by statistics like the one you proposed I have a big fat maybe. I think a) it will be easy for people to look at them and make the wrong conclusions and b) we do not have enough people playing to draw any real conclusions about relative win rates between factions outside of hugely disparate values.

So honestly I think it would just lead to a circle jerk of ill-conceived nerf calls that would be a drain on @Sokolov's time and energy. That being said I would like it if I could see the recorded values because I am a professional statistician and I would like to see what sort of useful/relevant information I could extract from them. But I don't think a general release make much sense.

18. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Don't remind me of trees post revamp, I look upon those victories with dread! Another important thing to add to this is how many faction points the player has with their faction, as players with 5k faction points are gonna know their faction way better than people with 50!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  19. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

signed

20. smock425

smock425 The King of Potatoes

Breaking my lurk to chime in that I work in analytics/data visualization and this sort of thing would be right up my alley as a pet project, if the data was available. Ideally two linked datasets, one being one-row-per-game (eg faction, map, players, duration, outcome) and another being one-row-per-player (eg games played, factions used, account age, ranking over time) could lead to a lot of insights and interesting analysis.

In an ideal world the 'game' dataset could even be one-row-per-action ,eg a 'GameID' and 'Timestamp' field against which any rune that is played is recorded - basically the Combat Log in database form. That would be REALLY fascinating and would blow out the amount of things you could look at - eg by measuring what % of a bg shares a race we could identify theme BGs, not just factions. We could segment out games where a certain rune sees play and get hard numbers on whether it leads to disproportionate win rates. We can see which runes are most OP within specified constraints, eg early/mid/late game, per map, per matchup. The list goes on.

Lastly, I work mainly in Tableau (leading data viz software) and one of its key features is versatile user filtering - so these wouldn't be static reports, they'd be posted for any player to intuitively explore the data themselves. I'd clean the data and pick out easy highlights, but the real analysis could be crowdsourced.

Anyway, I have no idea how feasible it is to release this data (feel free to anonymise it ofc) - but I would be happy to throw my free time into this if so :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    badgerale, Ssharsted and Qucas like this.