Aspect of Chaos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anotherblackman, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So in general, the feedback I have always gathered from top level players regarding AOC since I came back is that it basically doesn't win games. I have solicited feedback on the rune several times and haven't made any changes to it because neither the data nor the feedback ever really warranted it.

That said, I do think it's one of those runes that has a tendency to pop back up every so often, and while it may not win top level games, it's also the kind of rune that lower ranked players have significantly more trouble dealing with. On the other hand, just because a deck is "annoying" by some standards doesn't mean it shouldn't exist, but in this case the rune does tend to promote a distinct "not playing the game" by one of the players playing. So I can definitely see redesigning or nerfing it for those reasons - even if balance wise it's not a true concern.

~

Historically, the design intent of the Aspects was "alternate win conditions" so it's not a surprise that some of them do this sort of thing.

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

And apparently there is continual backlash against any rune if, when fully supported, that rune can win the game. It's not just that every deck needs to be equal, but every rune within a deck.

I don't think it promotes "not playing the game" in a real and direct sense -- it requires each player to play the game in a slightly different fashion on account of the altered stakes and rules. They are still, unavoidably, playing Pox, and each player cannot help but engage with the rules of game, but by "not playing the game," they really mean "not playing my kind of game."

Tweek516, Ohmin, Kendoshi and 2 others like this.
  3. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

This is fundamentally a conflict about what the range of play should be in the game. Things like Aspect of Chaos and trick decks are clearly pushing against the boundary of what a deck typically has to deal with. Alternative win conditions, as you said. So the question is what should the range of win conditions that decks are going to have to deal with? And should we have an environment where you have extreme match-ups?

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I feel like you still engage with Aspect of Chaos in some pretty normal ways though: each player still moves around their champions and tries to kill something quickly. Compared to the much more esoteric strategic lines involved in playing properly against, say, Nora Link Storm, playing against and with AoC still involves using a lot of the basic tools with which players are comfortable, just using them a bit differently. Each player still wants to move their champions around, spend AP, and control tempo; one player has a clear advantage as the game moves on, and will attempt to use defensive measures to get there; the other player becomes the aggressor and can use their repertoire of offensive options to push forward, attack, and kill an important opposing champion. It's a stronger and more important champion than normal, but the basic flow of the game doesn't change. (I agree this is in part a range-of-play thing.)

Most people just aren't comfortable facing these sorts of decks the first time, and so don't adapt, when really, the adaptation involved isn't that complicated. @Lauremoon said rogue decks earlier, and I think that's a huge part of what's happening here, and in general happens in Pox: a deck comes up that is slightly different, and because people of course can't change their playstyle in a single game to combat it properly, it appears way too good, or strange, like it's using fundamentally different rules. I noticed this happens a lot when people play against Worms, for instance. But, a little patience, some thought, and one or two more games against it -- then look at it again.

5. doubtofbuddha

The problem is that since AoC is a win condition all on its own it ends up encouraging people to build bgs around it that do push the range of play. So you end up with incorporeal aspects of chaos or majestic aspects of chaos or whatever. Whoever is running the Aspect of Chaos ends up trying their hardest to make the AoC immortal while the other player tries to kill it before it (and everything else around it) kills them. Now you can argue that this is part of the "absurd super champ" genre, but there is a reason that the "absurd super champ" decks keep getting nerfed.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Which is?

7. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Oh so you were on of the people who enjoyed 15 death range Bastion?

I certainly wish I had it during the game I played against this crap so he could battle leader all the stuff he put in my face to die, and just two hit his aoc with a couple swaps incite rage and action potion.

Too bad Bastion is in IS though.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

My question had nothing to do with my preferences either way; buddha implied some answer which sounds relevant to the current topic, and I want to know what it is. It's like saying "All our problems with the economy happen for exactly the same reason the artistic explosion during the Renaissance." It's providing an analogy, and then leaving the payoff hanging.

9. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

A number of abilities have been going down to AoE 5. This one too?

10. doubtofbuddha

See, I kind of want to just leave you hanging now.

11. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

The fact that Aspect of Chaos gains charges by time increases the feeling. It would be more interesting, if it was any of the other Charge mechanics.
    If you want to remake the Aspect of Chaos, please consider remaking all Aspects. Maybe have another community effort like 'let's build an expansion together': let's remake the Aspects.

Tweek516, Netherzen and doubtofbuddha like this.
  12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I could go for that, yea.

Tweek516, super71, Paladin and 4 others like this.
  13. doubtofbuddha

It would be nice for Aspect of Growth to actually be runnable.

Ohmin and iPox like this.
  14. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

Uhh, does zealotry still work with the auras and storm on AoC? Sorry been gone for awhile. If it does, this super bg definitely still works as I easily r@ped @DMrBadguy with it last expansion. However, it is easily countered by dispell

Also, no "good" players play it for long times i.e. people think it doesnt win games. Last expansion alone, i was the only one to run it and only ocassionally.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yes, but they need to grant it an attack in order to get Bounty Hunter to actually proc the "grant Hunter" trigger.

16. MikeLin

With ST it is easilly. And i mean easilly done. I used snowball fight;)

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yes, I know, that's a usual way to do it.

18. MikeLin

Lastly, people like @Ballballer and @Anotherblackman don't like supers or "cheese" because in recent years @Sokolov nerfed most of them i.e. no need to run counters versus them. And once in a little while, people like Soulfear for example, will make a brand new variation that breaks the old rules. Personally, I think supers and "cheese" like @iPox bg's are fun because it breaks away from the standard meta. Also, it is the only way I could beat some of the players like @Ballballer; so, to me it is fun.

19. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Im running 2 dispells in every deck, except for moga which only has one. I just think certain decks play themselves and reduce opponent involvement to a minimal degree. Those are the decks i hate

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  20. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

Yeah, nerf a Rune wirh some unique mechanics and need a BG entirely dedicated to it to be really strong in top ranks, just because a Bunch of players don't want to adapt their playstyle Abd admit that they have been beated by a non-common ranked BG. Keep this way and we gonna get 1000+ runes that are basically the same. Só much fun.