Are Ferrens just White Furred Vashals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by free20play, Feb 28, 2016.

1. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

Nah that's ridiculous.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

3. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Ferrets I can understand; they're house pets after all. It's not that big of a leap. Trying to figure out how the hell we got Tardigrade's though.

Goyo likes this.
  5. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Hah.
    So true.

mortal ix likes this.
  6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Facing Ferren have me like:
    [​IMG]

Sealer0, Tweek516, Goyo and 3 others like this.
  7. Tarabostes

Tarabostes I need me some PIE!

They probably used the same logic they had when they introduced Corgi in the game: "They look cute enough; maybe they'll sell well".

8. Sokolov

I don't remember exactly, though they are largely an extension of the original Ferpent which came out in the 3rd Expansion for Pox. So Snow Ferrets has been a part of Pox for a long time, though it was more "wormy" with the Ferpent.

That same expansion brought the original Ambling Frond and we've had hairless rats (Moga) and humanized bats (Voil) since expansion 2, so Pox has always had a bunch of weird critters in it. And that's continued over the years with Pirate Turtles, Man-Kitties with the Leoss, and Dogmen in the Kanen, so I think Ferren fits well in that idea.

9. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Things like ferrens,corgis and vashals have a childish and cartoon like design while older themes are more mature and creative in apperence and artistic design.

10. Sokolov

While I agree that Ferren and Corgi are less "mature" in some sense (particularly Corgi, which aren't a theme in of themselves and mostly one-offs that I didn't do and have no intention of expanding much if at all), I don't think this is a "newer" vs "older" divide nor is it a "creative" and "artistic" one. I think some of the early champs were more "traditional" in design (like Angels and Barbarians), but I don't think there's anything more inherently creative in Deep Elves, Yetis or Lizardman than there is in newer themes like Wings, Stitched or Vashal.

19madfox95 and Goyo like this.
  11. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Honestly part of the reason I like Pox is because it has a lot of non-standard fantasy stuff. Vampire, dwarves, elves, etc. are pretty boring in comparison to some of the more in-depth and off-the-wall stuff we have.

12. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

What in the actual fck, how could anyone even make that connection? Ferrens\ferrets are cute and pet worthy, vashals are pure demons from hell

IMAGIRL and Makorov like this.
  13. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

the concept of the tardigrade runes is Firking fantastic

14. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Oh I agree. They've shown them spectacularly. No issues with that. I'm just wondering how they got onto the thought process of adding them to the game. What was the train of thought that resulted in them saying, "Hey, lets add a near immortal micro-animal to the game!"

15. Sokolov

It really depends on the specifics as to "why" or "how."

In the case of the Tardigrade I was developing the Frostfall region of ST in the lore and the ideas was this was a largely unexplored region of the Tundra was considered too dangerous for the Jakei to live in. Lore/myths have spoke about strange creatures living in the area so we have things like the Icewisps, the Hydra and the Tardigrades from there, etc.

The SL Tardigrade came later when people seemed to love the ST one, with the idea being that they come from a common heritage but have adapted to their environments.

16. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

People love the ST Tardigrade? Was this pre-vamp?

17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I love him. He was, and is a monstrously underrated tank. The second the SL was reared its head, I made a thread calling it out as the bane of my existence for that expansion. I was right. XD

18. Sokolov

People also like it conceptually.

19. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

20. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

O= My god I just realized, they're TMNT's arch rivals.