Current state of Ferren?

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by jhgh2288, Apr 1, 2016.

?

Are Ferren Viable?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. jhgh2288

jhgh2288 Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm returning to pox after a couple of years and I had a question about the viability of Ferren in the current meta. I've been away a long time so I have no idea what the current meta looks like. Are Ferren viable or worth investing in or are they still kinda gimmicky like they used to be? Thanks in advance.

2. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Ferrens are nothing like they used to be, they are pretty crappy atm.
    But hey, the designer loves this theme the most in ST, he even made Lonx and Yeti terrible so people could play ferrens.
    You can ask him directly.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yep, I'd say they are viable. There are also a couple of new Ferren with the expansion as well :)

Woffleet likes this.
  4. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I just remember the revamp nuked them hard. I traded away my vicars and dancers and haven't picked them up again since, nor have I ever seen anyone play them since.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Vicar are Vashal... not Ferren.

But yea, the revamp kind of stripped the Ferren of everything they stood for. It's been re-instated, though.

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

oh, yeah, lol. i always confuse those two guys.

Speaking of, I read the first volume of Squarriors recently and they reminded me of Pox art
    [​IMG][​IMG]

IronStylus and Goyo like this.
  7. jhgh2288

jhgh2288 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys, are there any sample ferren NGs floating around anywhere? I have no idea where to start.

8. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

They are almost there. Range champs still cause them problems. I really did like frost vine on cloud wisp to slow down range champs and if she got hit she would just relocate away. The biggest is inhibiting and defiling champs are not available. Healing and cleanse kills everything these little guys are trying to do and trying to stay alive long enough to get a favorable draw or other ferren out quickly enough to help out is the other issue. Dealing with one issue or the other would be okay, but to deal with both is very hard. When you play them you will notice opponents easily with low nora cost can bring their champs back to full health and then they begin to out number you and your dmg output is too low to overcome or worse you end up giving away fonts due to the ferren can not hold up one on one. Clone armies just kill this BG. Zombies from a catapult bring a challenge to these guys as they can not even take those out with out two or some times three hits if you are cursed. Shoot even worms take two hits. Carrion crawler makes these guys inept.

How ever Shield and weaken spells has helped out against AOE's. Furry hat solves some of the defense issues to range.

9. Phynixe

Phynixe I need me some PIE!

10. Braxzee

Is there a way to fix Ferren Ninja? This champ has been phased out from its original glory (Well deserved) back into the realm of forgotten. I think phantom dash, swap, blinding flash, hidden arctic and assassinate on him would be neat. Get rid of dragging attack. or maybe go the poison route with him and confuse attacker. Just trying to think of ideas to bring him back to his in the middle of the road glory days. Shoot he may be a good champ to put defile, inhibit and poison on him and get rid of dragging attack and snow trap.

11. Phynixe

No. Dragging attack has to stay. It helps ferren a lot in terms of repositioning the enemy in order to secure a kill. He needs to feel like a stealth champion again. It feels like he's just another typical Ferren without anything that distinguishes him.

12. Braxzee

Yeah he does just feel like a typical ferren.

13. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

I played a couple of games with ferren and here is some feedback.

I builded 2 different decks, both do work with the available units and there is another deck I didn't testet yet. Stealth, super mobility and (untested) terrain (a mix of stealth and damage amp)

Stuff I would change a little bit:

Ferren Ninja:
    None of his upgrade combinations make him viable for me. His stealth path is ok but then he doesn't bring anything on the table apart from sneaking around and reposition stuff from time to time. He has almost no good synergy with the theme and is quiet expensive for a Ferren. If you need range you will drop a cloudwisp. If you need damage you will drop something else. Maybe strengthen his ambush ability would work (portal watcher) or even cooler KILL SENSE (super flaverfull). Kill Sense would make him a super nice include in every ferren deck.

Leave of the wind:
    In general a very good champ but more for monk decks. I suggest dropping one of the combat awareness upgrades, put ferren focus in upgrade path 2 and give him something else like Pounce on upgrade 1.

Ferren Master:
    Both grant abilities on him feel wasted. Grant teleport would be super nice or detection. (There is 0 detection in the theme).

I have no problems with having no detection OR shatter option in a theme but not having both is somehow harsh.

Ferren Snowspinner:
    Upgrade path 1 is nice. Upgrade 2 is meh. Orb 1 is quiet useless and should be replaces with a other cheap upgrade option. But in the end it doesn't matter because orb 2 is quiet mandatory.

Xzablaz likes this.
  14. Phynixe

Orb 2 is too expensive, 0/10 would never run on snowspinner. I am not deploying an approximately 80 nora support champions with terrible defensive stats and is a support while I can deploy 60 nora Ferren. Orb 1 allows Domain Snow off of Arctic Gift to continue to remain useful as Arctic Gift has a specific range that is not of satisfactory on more than 50% of the maps. Ferrens have weak base stats and require all the damage boosting they can get. Leaf in the Wind is in the gutter as long as the other Ferren can play his role better than he himself can. Detection on Ferren Master is not flavourful. Grant: Swap, however, could be much more useful in Ferren. Ferren definitely require a shatter option.