Let's Revamp DOTs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newsbuff, Apr 7, 2016.

1. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

With the secondary effects of DOTs being removed, it has opened up a lot of design space for stuff like:
    [​IMG] Spark Curse 3 Nora
    Units that become Shocked also becomes Cursed for 2 turns.

Here are my proposals (Names are intentionally kept consistent and intuitively-named):

[​IMG] Weary Poison
    Units that become Poisoned also become Wearied for 3 turns.
    • Note: At first glance Weary Poison may seem less powerful than the others as it only provides -1 DMG, but unlike the others, by continuously applying Poisoned, you should be able to continue stacking Weary ticks as each turn they compound. This provides Poison decks with a unique playstyle where you're attempting to keep Weary ticking each turn by reapplying Poisoned.
    [​IMG] Freeze Chill
    Units that become Chilled also become Frozen for 2 turns.

[​IMG] Bur Rend
    Units that become Rended also become Burred for 2 turns.

[​IMG] Sunder Scour
    Units that become Scoured also become Sundered for 2 turns.
    • Note: Unlike the other effects, this secondary effect stacks, which means re-scouring units in the same turn provide stacking instances of Sundered.
    [​IMG] Inhibiting Disease
    Units that become Diseased also become Inhibited for 2 turns.

[​IMG] Inflame Burn
    Units that become Charred also become Enflamed for 1 turn.

Now, we have been waiting for Magic and Psychic DOTs for some time now, here they are along with my proposed Secondary Effect abilities:

New Psychic DOT
    [​IMG] Trauma
    When this champion successfully damages a champion with a basic attack, that unit becomes Traumatized for 3 turns

[​IMG] Wandering Trauma
    Units that become Traumatized also become Wandering for 2 turns.
    • Note: Yes, this is powerful, but remember: no units currently have Trauma. So the Secondary application effect can be controlled and limited carefully.
    [Update] Alternatives:
    • Confusing Trauma
    • Ponderous Trauma
      Units that become Traumatized also become Ponderous for 2 turns.
    [Update 3]
    With Planar Disturbances, we saw equipment that give negative effects when removed. This included a a reference to Trauma on the Black Pearl FW equip that is consistent with my version of Trauma:
    • Flavor: "They are powerful, but unexpected severance proves traumatizing."
    • Description: Equipped champion gains Twisted Essence and Teleport 2. If this equipment is destroyed, this champion has Wandering for 8 turns and becomes Defiled.

New Magic DOT
    [​IMG] Unstable Magic
    When this champion successfully damages a champion with a basic attack, that unit becomes Destabilized for 3 turns.

[​IMG] Illuminating Instability
    Units that become Destabilized also become Illuminated for 2 turns.

This is a difficult one. While magical fire burns and magical frost freezes, what are the characteristics of pure magic (metamagic) damage in Pox?
    1. Kills ghosts/spirits/incorporeal/etheral
    2. Alternative to physical damage
    3. Can stun (Bowmage's Imbue Stun) and illuminate - has the characteristic of brightness
    4. Can reduce defenses (Nature's Wrath, Magic Nova)
    What persistent, damaging effect could a magical attack have? Traditionally, Arcane Magic is thought of as unstable. Arcane magic AKA 'metamagic' is the magic of manipulating matter/time itself on a super-physical level. From this, we can conceive of a persistent arcane effect as being a magical attack which imbues/overloads the target with magical instability, causing residual damage over time as reality/time/physicality re-coalesce around the destabilized target.

-----------------------

These Secondary effects can also easily be changed to effect only within 5 spaces which is the design direction Sok has expressed.

I thought long about a Sonic DOT, but I couldn't come up with anything that made sense. The nature of Sonic damage is that it does not linger. The effect can linger (i.e. distracted), but I can't think of any way for Sonic damage itself to be a persistent over time effect that makes sense.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

---------------------
    Changelog
    • Update 1: Added Confused as alternative to Wandering for Trauma secondary effect
    • Update 2: Rewrote Magic DOT, added note about Sonic DOT
    • Update 3: Added Ponderous as Trauma alternative, added section about Black Pearl equip

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    4NIK8, Alakhami, Joker and 14 others like this.
  2. Willow

Willow I need me some PIE!

I LOVE IT!!

newsbuff likes this.
  3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Great work man.

newsbuff likes this.
  4. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Relic:
    Brain of the Elder God - 40 nora
    Wandering Trauma. All Jellebrium with Attack - Psychic gain Trauma 1.

Seems totally balance, right guys? Right?

:cough:

Honestly I think distracted is a better dot effect.

Qucas, Leadrz and newsbuff like this.
  5. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Good idea - added you suggestion to the OP. I also considered Confused, but I think it's bugged at the moment and I've never found the effect very fun to play with or against.

6. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Oooh. I like confused better actually. There is no on-damage source of it, so it would also make trauma a bit more unique.

7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

OK, added it too :)

8. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Any idea for sandblasted? that would help sand theme a lot

9. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

I love these ideas man. @Sokolov get on this thing lol

How about blind for 2 turns?

10. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

AFAIK Sand is not a basic attack type, and thus doesn't have its own DOT.

Kampel likes this.
  11. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

You are correct there :p it's not a dot but a debuff so probably not... But I can dream!! (I miss inexperienced)

12. mortal ix

mortal ix I need me some PIE!

This looks great and would make sense to have in the game. The only concern I have about dots in general is if they get splashed out into ranged, as past history has shown. Range + Dots can produce very worrysome results.

13. poinl

poinl I need me some PIE!

14. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Update: Rewrote the Magic DOT.

15. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Bumping for developer visibility and reply

16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I like this! I really, really like this!

mortal ix and newsbuff like this.
  17. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I like it, but it seems complicated to implement. You'd have to price them all accordingly and some of them are obviously stronger than others.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  18. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I like the concept, but some of the actual conditions suggested sound VERY broken. I'd call them less broken if the main abilities weren't global though.

19. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Which ones?

Also, I'd assume sok would make these "within 5 spaces" like he's doing to most globals.

20. Sphere8274

Sphere8274 The King of Potatoes

Good concept except trauma is a bit op :D I doubt the staff will allow it evaluating the new halucinogenic change