The Huntsman: Winter's Curse, DOG's new game.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by darklord48, Apr 22, 2016.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I downloaded the free chapter of DOG's new game that @Senshu announced today. As far as I can tell, it takes an hour to complete the full chapter and all side quests. That was while taking my time because I was still working too. I suspect the other chapters are longer. The game has 5 books total. Book 1 is free, books 2 and 3 are $5, and 4 and 5 aren't out yet. A season pass, which includes all 5 books is $17.99, currently on sale 20% off for $14.39.

So far the game felt very much like I was on rails. Graphically it looked like Banner Saga from what I've seen of it, with animated 2D art laid out in 3D layers. I didn't get into the story yet, but that's only one hour of game, so it might be better. I also haven't seen any of the movies, so that may be something I'm missing out on.

What are your overall impressions? Has anyone tried it?

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Thanks for checking it out. Supporting this game is indirectly supporting Pox! :D

Yes, the narrative is largely on rails. The movies also trend female, so the story might not be up your alley, though it does have a professional writer behind it and I think it's pretty interesting myself.

And demographically it isn't really geared towards us strategy vets (so you will probably get through it faster than others too), though the combat system should still be pretty fun once you unlock some more mechanics - there are a number of different builds possible that can beat the game.

3. Sokolov

Also, the intention is to take this base combat system and extend it for <classified info>.

(In fact, the system already does a bunch more stuff that isn't in this game.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    newsbuff likes this.
  4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I spy @Senshu 's positive review! :p

5. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

poxnora 2?

6. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Announcing the game on the day of its release is so DOG of you. :rolleyes:

BurnPyro likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

8. Valkyr

Valkyr The King of Potatoes

I suggest adding subtitles to the intro (or an option to add it) for non native english speakers.

There's no info about speed and hand size (?) on the character sheet when you put your cursor over it.

The combat system is similar to Grandia and contrary to that one, stun and invigorate don't seem to help much rather than using a self damage buff or debuff on the enemy.

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It was announced on the release of the movie.

10. Sokolov

11. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

My bad, after checking steam and the DOG site I was assuming that it was the typical affair. I should have known to look out for movie releases.
    Also while browsing the DOG page I found out that the next DOG event is in May 2015. :3

12. Heart

Heart I need me some PIE!

It seems the reviews for the game are a lot better than the reviews for the movie. LOL

13. Qucas

Qucas Guest

Says 2015, guess that part of the site hasn't been updated.

14. Sokolov

This guy's playthrough the first few quests was pretty fun to follow!

15. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I don't know that that's saying much though. That movie was not well received from what I remember.

16. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I played the first episode and will probably buy the rest of it later, if nothing else than to support DOG. The first episode is pretty light on content though and it's hard to gauge how much more depth there will be in the next four episodes. I got a small idea of the system's potential but none of those battles had enough depth to them to make any of my in-battle decisions actually feel meaningful (aside from focusing down opponents).

The production values are pretty nice but I'm not a fan of your UIs in general (big arrows telling you that This does this during tutorials are not elegant).

17. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Sooooo here is where my money went.

18. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Actually, the guys who made the movie probably paid for it.

19. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

lol, he thinks DOG paid to make a movie tie-in instead of vice versa. hey everyone, look how dumb this guy is

20. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Desert Owl Gaming should do some cross-game rewards in the future.
    Maybe it's not possible with this game because of third party involvement, but imagine if you buy a DOG game and you get something in Pox.
    Would also work as advertisement for the different games.

DOG's website only says they have 2 games for now, but it might be something to consider in the future.