Age of Sigmar

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lupefi2, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Lupefi2

Lupefi2 Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'm about to get back into Warhammer tabletop. Was wondering if anyone had any advice on whats strong atm or any good resources to use to find more info. Much love.

2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

My advice is only that Warmachine/Hordes is a superior game.

3. Lupefi2

I'll check it out. It looks similar to 40k. I'm more into the fantasy side. I don't like the armored hulks as much. Also Age of Sigmar has a good community near me which makes it easier to find people to play with. Thanks for the headup though.

4. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Then do Hordes. WM/Hordes is same game, but one is steampunk and the other's fantasy.

5. Lupefi2

Ahhhh. . . I didn't realize that they were different. My fault. I'm gonna check at my game store and see if anyone else plays. Its as much about community and the art as the gameplay to me. TBH Warhammer is kinda pay to win and I don't like that aspect but I love the art and modeling.

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I played 40k for years, but WM is just a better game. Many QOL improvements.

Malifaux was looking great for a minute, too, but Wyrd took some serious missteps with their art direction and packaging that stopped me from giving it a shot. Although their poker deck power system remains possibly the most innovative game mechanic in tabletop wargaming I've seen in a decade.

I also got really into Armada when it came out, but I found the local community was too competitive and I wasn't enjoying the games.

7. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

y'all seen battlefleet gothic: armada?

8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I played Battlefleet Gothic back in 99 or 2000. I liked it, but not enough others played so I lost interest.

9. Lupefi2

I'm gonna start with Warhammer: Age of Sigmar purely because of the community in my area but i'm more than willing to expand. I like the art and the hobby side of it more than anything. I just want a full lizard men build.

10. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

BG: Armada is a game that i think came out this year, far as i can tell so far it's trying to be 40k for PC

enjoying it, but not that far in

11. Lupefi2

So i went in for a Chaos deamon army. Its nurgle based. I just got the starter kit. Apparently my local GW store has weekly tournaments for AoS and 40k but a store 5 minutes from my house has wamachines thursdays. So i think i'm doing both. Any idea's from any of the mini community on where to start with warmachines?

12. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

you said you like fantasy over sci fi, so go Hordes. it's compatible with WM. Just pick whichever faction you think looks the coolest. I onnly have experience with circle oboros in Hordes.

13. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

I stopped following anything that happened since Age of Sigmar launched completely. For me Warhammer ended when AoS launched, same way LotR ended when the Hobbit was released. Everything after those releases is not canon as far as I am concerned. The only one of the trio that I still follow is 40K

14. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

The Hobbit is still based on the book by Tolkien. I'm wondering if they are willing to tackle the Silmarillion.

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Won't that be as dry as the trade disputes in Phantom Menace or the Architect in The Matrix Reloaded?

16. Lupefi2

After building a small Chaos deamons/maggoth lord nurgling spam army i've moved onto 40k. Just got the dark eldar codex and looking to make a 1500 point list that looks like this
    40k 1500 Coven Type List

Grotesquerie

1. Urien Rakarth- Base 140
    2. 2 units of Grotesques- base 105
      1. aberration upgrade- 10 plus flesh gauntlet-10
      2. Liquifier gun upgrade 15
    Total= 420

Dark Artisian

1. Haemonculus base-70

1.Armour of Misery-15

2.liquifier gun-15

3. Webway Portal- 35

2. Talos- base-120

1. Twin Linked liquified gun-15

3. Cronos- base- 100

1.Spirit Probe-25

Total= 395

Scapel Squadron
    2 units of wracks- base 50
      1. Liquified gun- 15
      2. Acothsyt-10
        1. Liquefier gun -15
    2 Venoms- base-55

1.Splinter Cannons- 10

Total==310

Real space Raiders Detachment

HQ- Archon - base 60

1.The animus Vitae-20

Troops- 2* Kabalite Warriors- base- 40 (5 models)

1.Trueborn Upgrades- 3 pts a model

Fast Attack- Raider- base-55

1.. Dark Lance-5

Heavy Support- Ravager- base 110

1. Dark lance*3

I typed this in a google doc and for some reason it formatted very strangely after Copy and paste. Anybody play dark eldar and have any adivce. I'm trying to stick mainly to the Covens book but I wanted some trueborn in there as they look fun to paint and overall like badasses. I was thinking of maybe adding more trueborn and taking dark lances instead of taking the ravager but I'll be buying the ravager model anyways so I myswell include it.

17. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

Unfortunately, I find that the GW games as they currently are don't really hold much of relevance for me anymore. Age of Sigmar is far too open for abuse with its surprising lack of rules, and 40k tends toward rocket tag. If you can find people who still play 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy, I think you'll find it a lot more true to the original spirit of Warhammer.

Fair warning, the above is written from a jaded standpoint. If you enjoy Age of Sigmar and 40k in its current incarnation, don't let my views stop you. :)

18. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I would do Silmarillion as a series on Netflix.