Best and Worst Heroes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vipoid, May 21, 2016.

1. Baalzamon

Baalzamon I need me some PIE!

No, due to a lack of males in the population Gekaal changed his sex so that the Boghopper population would once again flourish.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Would people prefer if Heroes were super OP'd and ran in every deck again like the old days?

3. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

No but it would be nice if some of the heroes that don't do anything special got something to make them special.

4. Sokolov

And then in a couple years we do it again when they no longer feel special?

And what count as special? It seems based on some of the comments that only a couple heroes are special - which seems crazy to me, but if that's the case I am not sure what I can do to make them all "special" except powercreep them all severely.

It's strange because even 6-8 months ago I was fielding complaints about overpowered heroes. Now that I reduced some of their modifiers the concensus appears to be they are all terrible except for a few, and even the few that are runnable are not special.

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Gotta make changes in a game that constantly changes? Who woulda thought ;)

New content always results in the buff/nerf of old content.

6. Sokolov

I am honestly more inclined to leave them be. Constantly changing old content gets old.

7. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

Isn't that exactly what you are doing to so many other runes latly?
    But Instead of years it only lasts months

8. Sokolov

Most of the runes I am changing were to deal with the badly changed runes with the revamp, and also to align the runes to the cost formula. This also involved changing the cost of many abilities during an era when abilities were not properly costed.

So no, I am not changing "many other runes lately" for the sake of making them special, but to fix the issues created by the revamp which left many runes and themes in an unplayable state.

Additionally, I have also made some changes to certain runes to make them more interesting, primarily to give them back some of their original design intent that was lost with the DOG revamp. But I think this is a bit different than the Hero specialness discussion, since they, for the most part, retained their pre-revamp themes and ideas.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  9. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

So what it sounds like to me is that people want DOG to bring all Heroes up to standard with the new abilities and options that are available now and weren't available before.

The only way to completely STOP modifying old Heroes to keep up with the new abilities etc. Is to create new Heroes with newer abilities or give them completely new abilities.

At least the new heroes would bring in revenue. Some players don't seem to understand that this game is still a business and investing time on things that don't benefit the company and only benefit the community is not good business.

You could do the following

Re-release all main heroes with new art etc and call them 2.0 or something and bring them up to standard.

Or create all new heroes and call it a day. The community gets what it wants and DOG makes their money as well.

Edit: I think the name of the ability Hero is what makes people think " Well this guys a hero but doesn't seem like one because there are more unique runes out there can use and get more from"

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  10. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I think heroes should be unique and good but limited to 1 per bg.

prymusedek and Willow like this.
  11. Willow

Willow I need me some PIE!

then heroes would have to be considerably stronger than split heroes?

12. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

I am with any solution and advancement that doesnt involve new runes, there is way way too many already. So stop the expansion and lets fix other aspects of the game

super71 likes this.
  13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

And you're going to fund this how?

Cinder405 likes this.
  14. Cinder405

Yeah I mean who doesn't like free stuff right?

Stopping expansions doesn't bring in money. It doesn't take a business degree to know that man.

Sokolov is is very understanding of big issues but fixing heroes is not even close to being something a big issue.
    I don't think he wants to fund.

15. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- So whats wrong with releasing new heroes that...oh dear...wait for it.... are better then old heroes.

16. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

I too am not a business man, but making an overall better game does help the game even if u think its free on the short run. More people tuning in means more ppl available to buy packs and so more profit longterm.

17. Cinder405

I agree that it would be good financially long term but I would assume that they don't want money long term. Because bills and life dont wait for anyone for anyone. The only way they could stop expansion and focus on the games Major issues (By this I mean bugs, client issues etc.) Would be of they created a subscription service of some type. And even then idk how that would work exactly.

18. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

To be honest, I think a lot of heroes are in a pretty good place at the moment. Serkan, Xulos, Maarek, K'lzik, Kiergana, Sarinda, Juya, Azaren, Gnark, Melanus, Bliss, Jyx, Talgar, Valdac, Mosharn, Timothy, Dirge, Sceian all seem okay.

Heroes I'd like minor changes to:

Kartch - I'd gladly pay a bit extra to have Regen 2 or 3. One level is a bit piddling.

Hraken the Bloodbow - any chance of range 1-4 instead of 3-5? If nothing else, it seems a bit silly that he's carrying a dozen melee weapons around, but can't use any of them. :p

Magnus - Lay on Hands, Death Touch *and* Throw Hammer all on the same upgrade path make me sad. But that might just be a personal thing.

The heroes I haven't mentioned are ones that I don't own/use, so can't really comment on how good/bad they are. Except for Grimlic, but he already has his own thread. ;)

Pattn199 likes this.
  19. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I think a lot of heroes right now are decent in theme bgs but sub-par or Bane Shift in regular bgs, which isn't a terrible thing. However runes like ash the bandit prince, jyx, vindrax and valdac all seem pretty bad and could use a few tweaks.

20. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

Drax bad? Lol, haven't seen it in forever but what changes were made to him to possibly make him bad?