Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 1

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gedden, Apr 15, 2014.

1. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

I am simply leery. SOE, if you'll recall, did its own full-blown revamp because the game was too complex. Then, they proceeded to -- over the course of years -- jam unprecedented creep and convolution into the works. Enter: today. A new game company has taken over (again) and a massive revamp is in the works (again) in a bid to draw and retain new players by making the game more accessible (again).

Sorry... I really want to have faith, but I've been down this road with Pox before. If Owl can take this game and fashion it into the masterpiece it could and should be, then I will eat my words with an ecstatic smile.

Also, an aside: I really hope Owl actually *MARKETS* the game. I have never played an online game with so few players in my life, and I have played some awful, terrible, no-good poorly made garbage. The quality of a game is not the god-factor in drawing players; marketing and accessibility are. That said, I hope nobody thinks a revamp will be PoxNora's sole savior. There's no reason Pox couldn't be in the big leagues with the right publicity.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. IceNorth

IceNorth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Heh no need to buff him, all else will be nerfed, so he'll be in line with other runes again :)

3. IceNorth

Revamp need to be done first, new players wont understand why their runes suddenly changed, and have to start learning game again.

Also some more NUX stuff needs to be fixed, like early access to runes (or shards) before they market the game, otherwise it'll cause more harm than good.

4. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Fair enough. I am cautious too, but then again there is nothing to lose. :) I didn't think the game would ever be coming back to life, and so far everything is looking very promising to me.

Quality does have a lot to do with it though. The game has been in front of Steam and other audiences, it had an industry giant behind it, and not to mention that even word of mouth alone should occasionally bring in a new player or two. It's not happening, and that's because the game has become entirely inaccessible.

This needs to be fixed first, then marketing can be tackled next (starting with another go at Steam).

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

It not clear for me how configurable abilities work, in the example, magnus can change inquisiton for punish or adaptive, but he will be able to change resistance magical for those same abilities or for others? basically my question would be how many possible build there are for each champion? right now we have 6 or less.

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

As I understand it the abilities outlined in red (Not counting the Attack:X) will be able to be changed at Lvl 2 and 3 respectively.

7. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

this sounds awesome!!

8. IceNorth

Nope, not in red, I think abilities with Yellow name will be changeable. From the look of it red looks like activate-able abilities, and gray passives.

9. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Indeed, the little yellow arrow should make it very clear.

Also my expectation is that both ability slots can be changed to one of the two optional abilities (so there's exactly as much configurability as right now), although Gedden hasn't entirely clarified that.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Inquisition isn't an activatable ability and has the red border.
    Upgrade slots technically have 3 choices if you include the default option. Between the two slots that means roughly 6 available choices.

11. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

And I need preview 2.

It's been a day.

I'm jonesing.

12. GabrielQ

I understand that part, thepart that isn't clear to me is if the options for both configurable abilities are the same (in the example, the options to change resistance: magical will be adaptive and punish aswell?) because in that case, the possible builds are the same we have now.

13. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

As I understand it, yeah, we are having pretty much the same amount of potential builds than now. The only difference is a level 1 champion already have available the 2 "default" abilities, and upon receiving level 2 and 3, they gain the chance to modify one of said upgrades for another. To put an example, the tortun bokor would start the game with forsaken exploit and soul collection at level 1, always. If for some reason want to change either exploit or collection for tortun's trade or magic resistance, the bokor would have to upgrade to level 2 to change one upgrade, level 3 to change both. However, by doing that the nora cost would be adjusted, so if go from forsaken exploit to tortuns trade, the cost could be increased by some nora, like 2 or 3.

14. GabrielQ

@Shimaru yeah, I think that is the case too, but I can't be sure.

15. PoxZuo

PoxZuo Administrator Octopi

They're right in that a red border means it's activated. And you're absolutely right in that Inquisition isn't an activated ability! I'll see if I can get that image updated. Sorry for the confusion :oops:

16. Gedden

Gedden Administrator Octopi

Abilities are static, conditions are transient. By transient I mean they are effects added by the game server -- the website knows nothing about them - by design.

For example, flight (ability) grants the condition of flying when the unit is deployed -- meaning flying condition does not exist until the unit is deployed. So technically showing on-deploy conditions for a rune when its not deployed would not be strictly correct.

Not really, for a few reasons! First off just because the community at large feels some upgrade is better than another does not technically make it so. Thats a side-step of your question I think, so let me answer you more completely.

In the current system, a level 1 champion is strictly worse than a level 3 champion. The level 3 champion has 2 more abilities, and cost the same. In this new system, lets say the default is rank 1 of rend, and you can (and want to) upgrade to rank 3. Until you you make that change, your rank 1 rend champion is cheaper. So its not a punishment to run a level 1 champion like it was before.

Also, since every champion wont *require upgrades, the tokens you do get from packs can be more easily directed.

newsbuff, TeaNinja, Kampel and 3 others like this.
  17. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Question: This was asked earlier, just really curious about the answer.

Champ A has Dodge 2 on base
    Champ A has Arrow Throw on upgrades

Champ B has Dodge 1 on base
    Champ B has Arrow Throw on upgrades

How much nora does Arrow Throw cost for Champ A and B and how much do you think it is worth on each champion?

18. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

All i can say is, this is megalex duper imba. FInally some wanted changes. Gedden your a rockstar

Zenity and DarkJello like this.
  19. exiledtyrant

exiledtyrant Active Member

Is there going to be any class synergy during the revamp? It seems most(all?) class specific things are tied to equips. I think it would be cool to remove the combo ability and give it to classes. So if you have say 2 undead warriors each hit a unit it triggers rotting blows, or 2 different SL priest hit someone it triggers rite of creation or something like that.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  20. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

There is talk of making Sporegill even MOAR powerful than... sit down... breath... the 1 and only... Ambling Frond.

Also, this thread is mucho super nifty win!! Lots of great ideas. Mostly respectful. And the creative juices are flowing.

+1 to all, even us casual types. :cool:

21. IceNorth

I want to know this too, also say life siphon on 8 damage champ, and on 14 damage champ with say multiattack should not cost the same.

Hehe I was right after all :D