Playing Pox and Emotional Fatigue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalasle, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Not playing for awhile sadly:/

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

god damn emotional fatigue :(

3. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Did some cleanup to remove derailing posts.

To comment on the original subject, I think this is one of the main driving forces for Single Player being so popular for Pox Nora. There is still the tactical challenge, but players can afford to lose and time becomes less of a stress factor.

We will have to continue to make tweaks to the game, but we are also open to player feedback on this topic too.

damnfoolishyeti likes this.
  4. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Eh, what did i post that was worth removing. I honestly don't remember posting anything else, other then my first 2 posts. Unless @themacca trolling on my acc
    Just curious

5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

it was just cause you were quoting something that i said that was part of the remove chain.

6. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Can't remember which side I was on but I think I agreed on removal of upgrades would go a long way in making it a hella' lot easier to play and design.

Hell just swapping between upgrades gets me all bothered about the nora costs.

I mean you could still have upgrades but relegate them all to basic stats which are super easy to spot just by hovering.

7. Ralphen

Ralphen I need me some PIE!

Considering that a lot of champion have just one "right build", I agree with this even if it would be boring. I remember some past discussions during the Corpse Era where this same point raised up as a way to "save design spaces": each champion with only a specific role defined by its design, and little to nothing customization.

However, having automatic damage calculation and a faster way to see the threat range of an unit would help a lot more, imho.

8. horrible

horrible Devotee of the Blood Owl

Manually counting squares is really annoying.
    Damage potential calculations should be done for you. It's so hard to predict the damage you'll do against a full faction SL champ, especially w/ rounding and all that.

9. Ballballer

Just wing it and then spam "get rekt" in chat when you kill an opposing champ perfectly.

10. electus1

electus1 New Member

Its hard to ride the line between arcade and simulation.
    Halo vs. CoD, NFL Blitz vs. Madden, Burnout vs. Gran Turismo, Crackdown vs. GTA...

My opinion:
    Sure, you've got to have a PhD in Mathematics, a scientific calculator, a full deck of Rider-Waite tarot cards, an abacus, a poorly translated copy of the 'I-Ching', a collect call to Merlin the MathMagician, at least 3 copies of 'Rain Man' on VHS, enough coffee to kill a horse, a big bottle of your favorite brand of NSAID (Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drug), and supernatural or technological means of controlling time, just to calculate precisely how much damage your puny 'Snare Fairy' will inflict upon my monstrous 'Vindrax'; or you could just make a PoxNora damage calculator yourself using a bit of java (You insidious cheater! You knavish dastard! You snakes! You brood of vipers!). Or, to put it bluntly, I don't think you should be able to calculate precisely how much damage you'll do. Not only is that more realistic (since precise calculations in a live combat zone would seem infeasible, until 'the Terminator Expansion' of course), but it compels the player to not rely solely upon calculations and strategic thought, but also utilize their intuition and instinct.

NevrGonaGivUup likes this.
  11. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

What if.. it was a passive ability, an aura that grantz the special vision of being able to see with precission how much dmg your champs would make?

And another for thermal vision and x-ray whynot

electus1 likes this.
  12. Ballballer

Stop

JellyBerry, KingJad and Kampel like this.
  13. electus1

electus1 New Member

No, no, Ballballer, wait! I believe Kampel might actually be on to something (or maybe just on something); I mean, think about how Predators have infrared sight, among other visual frequencies... And, consider the following:
    This is a fantasy, rather than a sci-fi setting; people tend to loosen their willing suspenders of disbelief. I mean, what exactly is the source of 'desecrated ground'; how does it work? And where are all these 'aged shardmasters' that left their Ice Golems in the Savage Tundra? How do Nefari Fireslingers direct lava from beneath the crust, then neatly spread it in 5'x5' squares?
    The Protoss got a biologically-based psychic connection, known as the Khala, and that forms the basis of a wealth of lore for not just the Protoss themselves, but the entire Starcraft Verse! Tolkien, while famous for his meticulous world-building, still didn't know where or what half his world was or contained! But if you follow that link you'll see that there is a very lengthy encyclopedic entry for 'Rhun'... and I don't remember ANYTHING in the books or movies about 'Rhun'...

I figure we can 'hand-wave' x-ray vision and infrared sight... I'll tell 'em 'a wizard did it' till the elves sail home! Then we go back and retcon in whatever extreme profound visionary bada$$ explanation we come up with at the next artistic Bacchian revelry meeting!

I want this to be a damn fantasy kitchen sink!
    You dig?

Kampel likes this.
  14. kthx

kthx The King of Potatoes

PoxNora has become absurdly bloated. I can't really concentrate intensely on more than one~ game in a session - so I generally limit my investment so I can play a few. Frankly, every patch/new release is incredibly disheartening to me because it means more time spent learning new material.

I think arg has slightly mistaken me - my comment was that the centrality of positioning is overstated in PoxNora: resource management is a more important skill/decision tree. That is, I barely pay attention to my positioning, knowing that if I simply spend better/trade better/generate more than my opponent, I'll almost certainly win anyway. Playing a more powerful deck than your opponent just tilts your advantage severely - what that tells us is that if your stuff is more efficient/simply better than your opponent's stuff, you'll often win because positioning matters a whole lot less than it probably should if this is envisaged to be a wargame rather than a cardgame.

I remember back in the day, playing decks like Colossus - unless my opponent was playing something very good too I could just switch my brain off because no thinking was required. Regardless of what they did/how they played their deck I would generate an insurmountable resource advantage and just push it forward.

JellyBerry and KingJad like this.
  15. Ballballer

I still feel like you vastly underestimate the importance of positioning

JellyBerry and IMAGIRL like this.
  16. Ballballer

No

JellyBerry likes this.
  17. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I agree pox is too bloated and that more needs to be done but, as sok has said before, there is a lot of streamlining and making stuff more intuitive that gets done in patches but which is largely not noticed/not talked about.

I do feel like recent expansions could have taken this further, and that unnecessary new abilities have appeared... but I appreciate that there is a need not to make new stuff boring, and at this point, in a sense, any new ability is unnecessary.

I'm interested to see how the no new ability expansion goes, though I feel like there could have been some better ideas posted there too - another problem with a small active player base.

Kampel likes this.
  18. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

If Pox2 is really going to happen then they need to seriously consider a set rotation model. I described an idea of one a few months back that demonstrated how it could work without rotating runes out of existence. There needs to be a balance between the freshness of a new expansion/balance patch and the mental impact of adding another 60 runes to the list of things you have to account for.

potatonuts and badgerale like this.
  19. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I would also really like to see something like this, I think it would be great if just for the sake of new players' sanity. Being able to queue up for games with decks comprised only of Core Set runes or something similar would put a tack in the huge learning curve and allow people to play without having to worry about coming up against the current OP stuff every single game.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

If set rotation does happen, it should be whole-hog. No half measures to appease theme kiddies.

Anyway, I think rune quantity is a minor factor in mental burden, because that is database knowledge, not calculation. Different thought processes.

electus1 likes this.