Expected damage indicator is a must

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Latviak, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Latviak

Latviak New Member

I play this game for quite a while now but i still make silly mistakes (hitting demon shields) and miscalculations. Why is this still crucial part of the game? Observe some games and you will see that most of them has a silly error that has fatal consequences. Seriously... outcome of the battle often depends on how good you are at math... or how good can you memorize which guy had which equipment and all that you have to do in a certain time limit and there are a lot of things on the field.

I know this was discussed and i am sorry to bring this up but i really want to increase importance of this. The game is frustrating as it is and implementing damage calculator tooltip would remove a lot of problems. What problems can it create? Is it that hard to implement into the game development vise?

I was very angry with this game for the whole time i played it. Finally i understand one of the reasons why (took me 2 years) :D

Woffleet, IronStylus, poinl and 3 others like this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

iirc when proposals like this have been put forward before, there was always a subsection of the forums that decried the dumbing down of the game (with another section saying it wasn't dumbing down Bane Shift, and instead was just streamlining the process)

basically a lot of noise and then nothing. i sort of expect a change like this to come in soon after the playstation launch though i d k

3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I bet that the second full expansion after the playstation release will have this feature

soulmilk likes this.
  4. Latviak

Latviak New Member

Dumbing down? Was that their argument? Game is forcing you to do math and play match match, this is uneccesary complexity and leaves very little time to play the actual game. If they think this would dumb the game down then they must actually believe that mathematics and short term memory are important gameplay mechanics to PoxNora.

This must come BEFORE playstation launch. This is very big reason why people cant stand this game and they dont even know that. As i said before it took me 2 years to realize, thanks to someones help on the forums.

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

said this before

taking out a calculator should not be part of the "strategy"

knowing all the different interactions that change every patch because they mess with the code, you can't keep up unless you're a hardcore player, it's horrible not to know whether you kill something or not, it shouldn't be part of "skill". Positioning, decision making should make skill.

not knowing every Firking bug/interaction in the game, that's undocumented and relying upon others in custom games to find out everything, it's disgusting

poinl likes this.
  6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I mean, some of that interaction knowledge is always going to be necessary, even if the context and scale of that knowledge will change. That's different -- very much so -- from bugs, so don't lump them together.

Qucas, SPiEkY and super71 like this.
  7. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Working out damage reduction from stuff like evasive and Bane Shift yeah that seems fair.
    Attack mitigating stuff like combat awareness or arrow eater. NO absolutely not.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I dunno man, I'm totally down with full damage prediction. Reduces memory load.

IronStylus likes this.
  9. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I think it should only calculate damage not do your moves for you. Showing whether you hit through arrow eater and what not is the players responsibility.

DrakeArron, Qucas and SPiEkY like this.
  10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I think that makes arrow eater useless, it might as well be elusive.

I'm all for a calculator, but it shouldn't give away block, dodge, eater, and the like. It should show how much damage would be dealt if the attack was successful.

Qucas, SPiEkY and super71 like this.
  11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Didn't say it should give up these -- they're hidden effects. Arrow Eater and Elusive have different mechanical interactions, so no, one might as well not be the other.

12. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Yes, they do have different interactions, but the benefit of arrow eater over elusive will be marginal at best. Using it against righteous deflection is one case that comes to mind.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Well, considering they have the same cost, I would expect the benefit to be marginal at best. Seriously though -- how often do you get any real damage from Arrow Eater? How about any damage at all? I see it proc once in a rare while when one player forgets, and then some Pincushion gets to deal +2 DMG on its next attack. Big whoop.

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So I agree that Damage Calculator/Preview is an important feature. Unfortunately, it is one of those things that gets harder and harder to implement as time goes on.

So consider something like this:

Champions have 1 way to deal damage based on an ATTACK stat. This is reduced by a DEFENSE stat and nothing else interacts with damage.​

In this scenario, a tooltip for expected damage is easy, just compare the stats. You don't need to run any actual combat code. This is easy and straightforward.

Contrast this with the following:

Champions have multiple ways to deal damage. The damage output is based on a variety of factors such as champion DMG, the ability dealing the damage, any other applicable offensive abilities. The damage may also be reduced by affected by other items that are in play, or have triggers waiting for the action such as a hidden spell.
    In this scenario, there is no way to predict the damage except by actually running the code. So what the game would need to do to process each tooltip is basically run all the code that would happen on an attack but not actually perform the attack - for every, single, tooltip. Functionally, this is almost like running a second copy of the game in parallel.

~

Now, we also talked about this thread not calculating everything... which could make it easier, but also harder. The thing is we humans are very good at these types of categorizations and patterns, but a computer needs to be told very explicitly. So we'd have to find some "rules" that determines what abilities get taken into account and which don't and it's very likely that the rules won't make perfect sense and different people will expect different ones to be counted, etc.

So it's really not a trivial matter.

DrakeArron, Woffleet, Qucas and 3 others like this.
  15. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Welp I always liked the challenge of calculating dmg ._.

Pattn199 likes this.
  16. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

It isn't a challenge though is it, it's an arbitrary time sink that you could inevitably overcome if time and decision making were not a factor.

It's like you are going about your day trying to get things done but every couple of minutes someone stops you for a short maths quiz that a 5 year old could probably manage just fine.

17. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

The fact that calculating damage is no easy task, points to a part of the game that really could be simplified.

Step 1: Remove % changes. EG: Amp: +1/2 dmg, this stacks. Easier.

See how that plays out and go from there.

18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

That's what's happening, basically, yes :)

19. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

hey mate, you coming back next expansion been a while since someone rattled tiny's and zeya's cage

Woffleet likes this.
  20. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

what I think sok is trying to imply here is say you had Righteous defelction or split personality on the game knows that no damage will be dealt and so the expected damage will be zero which defies the point of the spell since you know its up : ) Pox is a great game but its flawed however doing the math and remembering relics is not one of them and if anything its what makes pox what it is. One mistake can cost you the game so it keeps you on your toes thats what great games are about.

H3II likes this.