Thoughts on Planar Disturbances:

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by doubtofbuddha, Jul 27, 2016.

1. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

1) Jellebrium Mender
    Seems solid though I am not sure you run it in Jellebrium decks without Jellebrium Mind or any special benefit from Healing Mind. Defender is a good bonus, however, and either it or Shroud seems to be the way to go as far as upgrade 2 goes, as it gives you the ability to hit and heal from ranged while being protected from their ranged counter-attacks. Weaken Spells seems like the best choice for UP 1, and this in combination with the other effects, makes this guy a really solid support rune. It is not super broken though, so I give it a B+.

2) Poison Oak
    This one is interesting, and makes me want to build around it a bit. Maybe not in a Poison battlegroup, because poison is not quite good enoguh, but you could probably build a solid poison/plant/shaman/support from the new relic battlegroup as a brusier. I like running it with Poison Cone and Tough 2, particularly as you have potential for running multiple cone-types for maximum benefit. I also give it a B+, due to its combination of general solidness and potential usefulness

3) Salaman Investigator
    I like the internal consistency, I like the weaken spells in Salaman. I am not sure it is quite good enough to be used in a wide range of salaman battle groups, but there is nothing directly about him that makes him seem unplayable. I give it a B-.

4) Thicket Crawler
    I like Sabotage: Armor quite a bit. Though it leaves the opponent open to playing around with it by making the next champion dropped be support or something they keep back, there is no garauntee that they will actually be able to play around it, and when that occurs it will be twice nice. I like running it with Sunder (1) and Hunter: Crippled, both because Sunder is pretty handy for one-rounding and because Hunter: Crippled synergizes both with that and Sabotage Armor. That being said there is not enough armor reduction synergy in FS to make it really crazy, but it might have potential in mixed-meta BGs or as part of poison-oak anchored shaman/poison/plant battlegroups. I give it a B.

5) Contaminated Wreckage
    40 nora is a lot. aoe 5 attack: poison and poison: 1 is quite good though, and it has the potential to be a force multiplier, particularly if you are running equips. I expect it to be at least a one of in salaman bgs (triggering ingenuity + dot + 2 ap for most everyone in range seems really good), Poison Oak bgs (if they exist), and maybe as a flex spot in meta bgs. I give it an A.

6) Mind Orb
    30 nora seems a lot for spot Mindwipe Aura 1 with a downside, but spot pacify may be so strong to make it worth it. I am pretty uncertain about this one. I give it a B.

Overall: Satisfied but not blown away. I reserve the right to change my mind later though, and I expect my assessment will only go up rather than go down.

As for the patch? Seems mostly like nerfs, with none of the positive reworks that other factions got. Boo. Hiss.

Capitulator and soulmilk like this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I'd like to hear thoughts about whether Mender needs Mind and where it could be added if so.

Qucas and Leadrz like this.
  3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Upgrade path 1, replacing spellswallower, the least interesting of the upgrades

Qucas and doubtofbuddha like this.
  4. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Grow little FS plant theme! Grow! Maybe one day you will be worth losing +1 speed for!

I like Poison Oak's foliage afro too. :D

PS: Poison Oak is about as Treefolk as a creature can get... Why isn't he? (It still matters for Lash Down)

5. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Investigator helps to counter Salaman squishyness big time. With evasive easy to come by and reflexes, he can also hold the front line.

B+ for me!!

Qucas and doubtofbuddha like this.
  6. doubtofbuddha

I need to play more Salaman. So many decks, so little time.

7. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Salaman Hunter lost Bounty Hunter.

I'm crying. Can he get it back?

8. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

He really doesn't need it. With piercing shot and ingenuity, he's a really big hitter. Falls over if you look at him, but hits like a BOOM!

9. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

yes, definitely, please replace spell aegis or spellswallower with jelly mind.

or don't, he's not going to be super useful anyway. maybe give healing mind something extra for jellies to make him fill the unfilled healer role, because currently he kinda just overlaps with the 4 other low damage, range 4-5 squishy supporty jellyfish.

where's the 2x2 kraken looking super tank we need??

10. doubtofbuddha

I actually quite like the Mender. -5 spell damage in aoe + healing is really going to extend jellebrium lifespan, and if you take defender on UP 2 you can also make your jellies a bit beefier. It also provides attack: magical which jellebrium lack.

I think he has potential both in meta and jellies.

11. Boozha

Meta no, jellies yes, imo

12. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

hey thanks for giving Mender jelly mind so quickly, and letting him take it without giving up to much since jellies can already get spell resistance with lagoon (coral creeper and extraspicey, though..)

I take back what I said about Mender, he's actually been performing well, I run him x2 in jellies.

I think he will be useless in anything else, there's plenty other options to fill his role in other themes. that's OK though imo.

13. bagoftrick

bagoftrick I need me some PIE!

i find this discussion really interesting.

i've actually been running these differetly to all of you from i can tell. i run them with UP1 - Weaken spells and UP2 Empathy. considering that jelly mind heals anyway when things are on cooldown this pushes healing to 8 on jellies per turn potentially, without them inside a font, if they are its 10. I should also add i use 6hp as a benchmark for jellebrium mind, its easy enough to reach it. getting above this can be difficult against more skilled opponents.

Also i have not run them in either a meta BG or a straight up Jelly BG and found them incredibly useful.

I give it an A*. i think its a great rune design in its original format, it's probably more valuable to a jelly bg with the change.

Thicket crawler, heres hoping it isn't another mocking toad, weirdly its race is a plant even though it looks like a beast and has a spiky shell. however it has no defense and no damage shield or turtle. the art and its abilities don't always add up, but i can appreciate the idea. B-

Poison Oak, just going to say it. Its probably OP. again it has some really nice upgrade paths, its really well designed. the concurrent changes to Relics and Shrines will make this tree a topic of discussion in the future. A*

Salaman investigator. I agree with Budda on this i don't much like it. its cost largly bites at me. B+

Contaminated Wreckage. havnt used it but it reads nice. but again agree with Budda i'm not sure of its practical worth. I'll give it a C+, however i'm willing to revise my opinion based on expected changes to my poison bg and future changes to poison as i could certainly see it effective in certain conditions. I'm of two minds on this AARGH.

Mind Orb FFFFFFFFFFFF. thats all your getting. i've made my opinion known on this equip.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  14. Boozha

I'd switch marks on Thicket Crawler and Poison Oak, the former really messes with your opponents DEF, while Poison Oak has seemed rather clunky to me in my games.

15. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

i like the mind orb, legit just pilfer it for full effect.

16. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

poison oak is super fun, and I like the mind orb. When I get the new salaman I think I will like that too.