Ranked games should award more gold than single player games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saandro, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

If you ask me this should be a nobrainer. Imo even a 20 min rank game should award more gold than 30 min single-player game. But right now it's pretty much the other way around.

Just change it so that people actually play against each other rather than grinding against bots. Atleast make the rewards equal so I'm not feeling like I'm missing out on gold while playing ranked. Would promote more people actually playing the game.

2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

agreed

3. only

only Active Member

single player and stuff being pushed more and more drives me crazy. there are just better games for single player. I can't understand what attracts single players to play pox instead of REAL single player games. I mean pox as pvp is top tier by its gameplay. but if you want to play single player, pox sucks balls compared to other games offering single player experience from the whole new universe (???).

I think there should ba clear line for developers to decide if they want to focus on pvp game (basically, the only thing pox can compete with other games) or please some few players trying to play football with basket ball and for some unknown reason ignoring the fact that there are other games for their wants...

Zenity and TeaNinja like this.
  4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

agreed. but if you really want the grinders to flood to ranked play, offer shards instead of gold. or reward cards even. the game can afford to offer C/U with a small chance at a R for ranked games. The need to buy packs is a new roadblock in the f2p route and its kind of lame. I used to be able to grind gold then buy what I wanted and the exchange rate of time spent per card earned was tolerable. Now its a lot worse. There is too much time in between games played and a reward from the shard store.

5. crisian

crisian Member

FF PvP

6. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Most people playing single player don't have the neccesary runes to make the bg they want, or they are not enough confident with going into ranked.

Therefore I won't give more gold to ranked, just equal.

7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

There are people who want to do PvE. Many, in fact. I find it kinda boring, but just disregarding those people would be as unwise as discriminatory.

Nemorga likes this.
  8. GabrielQ

yeah, but we just want to encourage ranked play, not to minimize single player.

9. IceHippo

IceHippo Active Member

I agree largely, though I still see value in SP for new players, just offer what already is offered for SP, and offer even more for MP! Everyone is happy!

10. Saranea

Saranea The King of Potatoes

I agree.
    Most new players play PvE until they test the water of unranked play.
    Where they get crushed by older players seeking "easy wins" with their deck ready for ranked.
    And then wondering why noone plays rankend ... or even unranked PvP.

I agree to the sentiment that you should be able to do the same amount of gold in PvP as in PvE.

But here is another PoV: the guys that play much PvE need the gold to build up and level their BGs so theiy get their FIRST ranked BG together. If they make less gold then PvP then they never catch up.
    Also PvE is nice if you have something to do on the side (sitting a child, doing lundry, cooking, ....) as you have 10min per turn or need to be able to quit without getting punished (f.e. bad internet connection / waiting for somebody / sitting kids).
    Ignoring a part of the playbase that just dislike competetive play vs other humans, but like building cute BGs or just want to have the runes with nice pictures / collecting is bad imho.

All these kind of things are GOOD for the game (more players that maybe try out PvP, more people to trade, more people that spread the word). They don't hurt your playstyle ... so why you want to hurt theirs (talking open into this theme, not to any person).

Sincerly

GameJack and Nemorga like this.
  11. Saandro

I never said nerf PvE. I just think PvP should award more gold or atleast equal.

12. GabrielQ

Also, it's also a matter of risk and reward, playing PvP is more difficult than playing pve, and while the win rate against bot is near 100%, the overall winrate in pvp is 50%, so if you are mr. average player, playing 20 minutes ranked matches with a 50% winrate you are getting far less gold than people playing pve. So, actually PvE has great advantage over ranked in terms of gold accrual rate now.

13. Krokodil

Krokodil The King of Potatoes

My suggestion is: if you lose (in ranked) you get nearly as much gold as winning a game.
    See the gold more asa reward for participation.

And a side note: Trying to force someboy to do something ist not the way to go.
    If somebody likes single player more than ranked he would simply quit poxnora.

14. Saandro

One again, I am not forcing anyone. Quite the contrary atm I always feel like being forced into PvE just to not miss out on gold.

15. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

Yes, yes they should. More meaning should be given to "ranked" matches in general.

16. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

I don't think most people who farm SP actually enjoy it, they just know they would get crushed in PvP so they don't want to miss out on gold.

OT: I agree. And not just ranked, but TG aswell.

It's tricky to fix though, since SP is pretty much 100% wr. So the devs would either have to equalize losing and winning rewards for ranked OR reduce SP rewards. Of course they could just buff the rewards in PvP by an insane amount, but then it might be too much.

Maybe the solution would be to implement a weekly drums of war, kinda like decondor is doing now?

And for those saying that it's bad for new players: If a new player would farm SP for 5 months straight 10 hours per day and then go play ranked he would still get crushed. Because really, rarity does not equal power in this game (it does equal annoyance though).

17. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

It's ridiculous to think that new players being forced to grind SP because they would get smashed in PVP is in any way acceptable.

What we want is more beginners in ranked, so that beginners do NOT automatically get smashed but have a chance to play against other beginners (the way it used to be). As long as there is a minimum level of competence (or deck quality) required to have any fun in ranked, the game is going to be a massive fail with beginners.

So yeah, I completely agree that ranked participation (win or lose) needs to offer the largest possible rewards. It has to come together with the revamp, advertising, and other changes, to create an environment where a beginner does not have to feel like a goat in a lion's den anymore.

Prami likes this.
  18. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

sounds like this 'loyal fnabase' would be doing the game a favor simply by not playing ranked.

19. Sunutsu

Sunutsu I need me some PIE!

I have been playing this game on and off for several years and all i really do is PvE. Ive only one a handful of games in the time ive played this game (probaly less than 10). While i have gotten a little better since desert owls came since i started doing more pvp i still feel like just farming PvE most days. Nearly every match i do its against someone with hundreds of wins who curbstomps me in less than 20 rounds. When this happens over and over and im not even 100% sure what im doing wrong i feel discouraged to even try PvP. I dont find it fun getting beaten in less than 10 minutes almost every time i play this game. Because of the games small playerbase i rarely fight someone who has the same equal skill as me. My bg is somewhat good, its Ud/Fw vampyre/blood bg, but im not that great at using it against other players. I tend to get owned really fast by range bgs to and players will use some weird strategy against me and I will end up stuck not knowing what to do so i just forfeit the match.

Nemorga and Evilinge like this.
  20. Saranea

Saranea The King of Potatoes

And this is exatly what it boils down.
    A low player base pits good players against new players in ranked.
    In the TG you have people waiting for new / inexperienced players to "test their deck" ... for weeks.

And as long as that matchmaking and the behaviour of the community prevails you can seed even more rewards for winning or even loosing in PvP.
    Increasing the rewards for winning / loosing (and i agree they could be higher) is not solving the problem for new players.
    It's never fun getting stomped 10 times in a row.

The only short term solution i see is guilds/players taking new players under their wing. But that is time consuming, efford and noone involved knows if all the invested time is worth it in the end.
    Long term the game needs more players and the problems right now in PvP would lessen.

Sincerly