Magic The Gathering Pysical/Online Player Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Thonskie, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Personally I hate all control. It has led to me building strategies that give all of my creatures hexproof and indestructible. Final Judgment or Bust prick (also Merciless Eviction).

2. Authyrtyr

Exile and remove from game are the same thing...

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Like 10 years back I somehow got hang of a bunch of mtg cards (i didn't even know they were mtg cards), i think i won them at a tombola or something.

I just enjoyed playing it with my siblings, though it was more of a made up version than the actual rules im sure. It was fun nonetheless.

4. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

But Remove from the Game just sounds oh so much more permanent :p

5. Authyrtyr

406.7. Previously, the exile zone was called the "removed-from-the-game zone." Cards that were printed with text that "removes [an object] from the game" exiles that object. The same is true for cards printed with text that "sets [an object] aside." Cards that were printed with that text have received errata in the Oracle card reference.

Exile doesn't necessarily scream "temporary" to me but whatevs.
    Also, this is a thing:
    [​IMG]

6. Thonskie

Thonskie Member

From what I've read in the interwebs, Exile is also part of the game zone.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, from 1st card/my fave card I posted it has the suspend ability which is I think the same as Exiling a card. 'sorry Authyr... already explained this above :D'
    [​IMG]

I think the term 'outside the game'(other zone) in present is different from exile zone(still inside the game zone) . An example of outside the game is the players sideboard which is really outside the game and doesn't really have any other function but to be a container of cards for future use.

Posted above, Glittering Wish has the ability to get a card from the sideboard(cards you own from outside the game and not cards from your binder or cards inside your closet).

My question is; can we use glittering wish to get cards from the exile zone or not? or just the sideboard?

And is it possible to bring a card back from the exile zone to the playing field?

Cheers!

7. Authyrtyr

No, wishes can't get things from exile, but you can't remove something from the game in that sense. Something can be outside the game and then placed into the game but it is then part of that game until the game ends. There's only 3 cards in the game that I know of that can allow retrieval from exile; Riftsweeper, Pull from Eternity, and Misthollow Griffin.

8. Thonskie

Thonskie Member

Thanks for clearing it up with the 'wish' card. And I do agree with the sentence in red.

Basically the Exile zone doesn't have any other function other than 'again' a container for cards which is inside the game zone.
    Comparing it to the graveyard zone, graveyard gives other functions/boost like the card below.
    [​IMG]
    .. which is then not available in the exile zone (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Just wanna clear this up since I'm also not familiar with what the exile zone offers in whole (If it does affect the cards in the playing field).

9. Authyrtyr

Think of the "Exile Zone" as another game zone, similar in function to the graveyard. It is not the graveyard. So if you're counting things in the graveyard you will not count things that are exiled, because they're not in the Graveyard Zone, they're in the Exile Zone. In contrast if you're outside the game you are not in any game zone. For practical purposes tournaments define "outside the game" as your sideboard so people don't cast 1000 Eldrazi. That's right, people used to bring boxes of eldrazi to tournaments. Just sit them on their lap, sip diet coke, you know how it goes.
    [​IMG]

10. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

you need this:

[​IMG]

11. Authyrtyr

Oh AWOL. We allow that card to be run in my circle of friends because it's basically the same as exile anyways.

"Your Ulamog went AWOL"
    "Huh-- What?"
    "He got distracted by a tasty plate of mana skittles a few planes over. Emrakul is pissed but Ulamog won't return his calls."

12. Gaverion

fun fact you used to be able to wish for cards that were removed from the game before that zone got change to exile. (Wishing for a previously cast wish to increase storm count was a common thing.)

13. Authyrtyr

I wonder why they changed it to exile...
    Nowadays we just use things like Manamorphose and Gitaxian Probe to get up storm counts. As a side note Storm decks are stupid. Did you know that the scale that WIZARDS OF THE COAST uses to show how broken they think a mechanic is is called the the Storm Scale. For example Cascade is a 9 on the Storm Scale.

14. Gaverion

I love storm :p

they changed it to exile because there are a number of things that refer to it and things come back from it all the time. They wanted it to be a little more distinct.

15. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

You know what's also fun? Horsemanship.

For instance, no one expects this guy in EDH.
    [​IMG]
    Sure, it'll limit you to all blue. But what's wrong with that? Great control and greater control through effects that depend on direct attacks XD

16. Gaverion

I haven't played edh yet but I am tempted to try this general

[​IMG]

17. Thonskie

Thonskie Member

I'm not yet familiar with the EDH rules, but this one is in the list of cards which cannot be use as general.

This one is more permanent if allowed . jk.
    [​IMG]

18. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

Erayo, Kokusho, Braids and Rofellos are not legal as Generals in EDH (Commanders in Commander). To be read in the link I gave before ...

@Emries I play Lu Xun. And for once I am happy he got reprinted in a box as I dont buy cards online and noone I ever met and traded with had one of them.
    [​IMG]

19. Authyrtyr

Sun Quan is actually not that uncommon as a commander. There's a guy in my group that runs him. There's nothing wrong with limiting yourself to one color. The best deck I've ever built for commander is Mono-Green.

20. Intweener

Intweener I need me some PIE!

My favorite card is and always will be sensei's divining top.
    Playable in any deck, and you simply put it on top of your deck if it were to be destroyed. Awesome with shuffle decks to watch the top 3 cards and reorder them after every shuffle <3