Weight loss tracking

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by darklord48, Aug 9, 2016.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

This thread is for tracking weight and keeping each other accountable. I'll keep the first post up to date with everyone's starting and current weights as well as their start and current date. If you want to post progress pictures, go for it.

Please keep this on topic, and I ask that the mods remove anything that is not directly related.

Name - Starting Weight - Current Weight - Goal Weight - myfitnesspal ID
    @darklord48 - 227 lbs (103 kg) - 220 lbs (100 kg) - 170 lbs (77 kg) - darklord48
    @newsbuff - 218 lbs (99 kg) - 214 lbs (97 kg) - 190 lbs (86 kg) - lagomorph

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Qucas and Geressen like this.
  2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Thanks darklord!

I am currently 218 lbs and want to get to 190.

I am using the If It Fits Your Macros calculator that @Axeraiser recommended. My daily calorie goal at a 15% deficit is 2,349. Keeping my food diary at myfitnesspal.

I have been using a local meal delivery service called Power Supply, but it is very hit-or-miss and I'm often hungry before bed, so I'm going to try cooking at home for a couple meals a week now (my breakfast/lunch is in good shape). I also want to decrease the snacking calories throughout the day.

I'm going to Crossfit 5x a week and trying to stay active on Saturday (played tennis last week even though it was 100 degrees). I also have a treadmill desk at work (I'm an accountant) which I walk 2-3 miles per day on. I would like to get to 4 miles per day.

@darklord48 are you posting progress pics?

3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Currently I'm only watching what I eat and trying to get better about tracking every day. I'm going to start biking with my dog at lunch time so we can both get more exercise on days that I work from home. My calorie goal is 1940 per day, which is a 500 calorie deficit. I went through the IIFYM calculator, and it was within 30 calories of what myfitnesspal calculated, so I'm just leaving it. I haven't decided about posting progress pictures yet.

4. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

500/2,140 = 23% deficit? Dude, at 15% I go to bed hungry...make sure the deficit you choose is sustainable. If you're suffering, you won't make it long...Even I'm thinking of going to a 10% deficit for a few weeks until I adjust to the deficit and then bumping it to 15%. 23% sounds high! Good luck though.

Are we supposed to post here daily or weekly? Or what?

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'll be sure to adjust my target if it's difficult to reach. As for how often to post, I'd say post as often as you like. Technically this morning I weighed in at 225.7, but I know I didn't drink nearly enough water yesterday, so it's probably due to dehydration. Today I'm making sure I drink a lot more water, and I expect my weight will be back to 227. I try to only track my weight once a week, and if I feel like I'm dehydrated I don't count it as the gain from getting hydrated again can be disheartening.

If anyone has any doubts about how much weight can fluctuate from water, drink a lot of water but resist going to the bathroom until you can't wait anymore. Weigh yourself before and after, and you may lose more than a pound doing so.

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

@Axeraiser can you recommend how to measure progress? You mentioned progress pics and the scale - but what about Lean Body Mass or Body Fat %? I've been using calipers to measure belly fat but it's hard to get consistent readings.

7. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

At the start the scales are good, you should be consistently losing weight, as dark lord said weight can fluctuate a lot which is why I say always weigh yourselves in the morning before breakfast that is your true weight, with the amount of food I eat my weight can fluctuate up to 7 pounds between morning and evening weight. The mirror is the best way.

If you've started exercising / weight training for the first time your body composition can change pretty quick meaning you can put on muscle/lose weight simultaneously and so your scale weight might not change even though you've made progress.

Callipers is a good way to keep track of the body fat % but it's impossible to do properly yourself, ask a friend or a instructor at your gym.

Qucas, darklord48 and newsbuff like this.
  8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I plan to join a gym in the next few months. My daughter starts kindergarten in September, and that will save us over $800 per month. We're going to get some of our debt paid off, and then I'll join a gym.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Not really interested in putting up a weight goal for myself, but I got a gym membership and went today to gain some of les muscles. And get more fit. Live longer so I can spend that extra time living in the gym. Stuff like that.

Axeraiser and SPiEkY like this.
  10. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I am convinced that staying up too late is fūcking up my diet. I get hungry before bed and then blow my calories. My new goal is to be IN BED by 11:00 PM. This will also help me catch up more on my backlog of reading.

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Looking at your food diary for yesterday, perhaps downsizing your lunch would help too. You had half your daily calories in one sitting. Unless you tracked something extra in lunch that is.

newsbuff likes this.
  12. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

As of this morning I was 224.4. I know I'm not dehydrated, so it must be actual loss. From what I know, it's typical to see a big loss in the first couple weeks, then it gets to a more normal pace.

Axeraiser and newsbuff like this.
  13. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I'm also down a pound or two.

Let's see if it sticks and then celebrate!

darklord48 likes this.
  14. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

I was 204 when I got back from the last TDY to Hawaii a few weeks ago. Down to 202 on weight check last Friday. We'll see in another week. I would like to back below 200.

15. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

Working on home improvement and going to bed earlier instead of gaming until late: lost 2kg (+/- 4 pounds) in a week or so. Trying to go from 83 to 75kg without actually doing much effort, at 78kg now.

success to all weightlosers. (sounded better in my head)

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I always lose a lot of weight when I get sick and don't eat for a week.

though I do not recommend it.

17. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

So far my going to bed early (11PM) has been a failure, I end up reading well past 1 AM, which is even later than I normally go to sleep when I just game until midnight.

18. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

It's more about when you stop eating than when you go to bed. As long as you're getting enough sleep, it shouldn't matter when you start sleeping. I'm like you and usually don't fall asleep before midnight.

19. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

i can't sleep when im hungry. so when i stay up late i blow my calorie limit

20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I've found that drinking a large glass of water 15 minutes before eating helps me feel full quicker in the meal, allowing me to keep more calories for later in the day.