Avarice

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by badgerale, Aug 1, 2016.

1. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

As I said, I've had Manic units not move at all, despite being only a couple of spaces away from an enemy.

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Which you can plan for if you use the chart in the link.

Burcho and SPiEkY like this.
  3. vipoid

My apologies for expecting an ability to actually do what it says it does.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It does exactly what it says it does, you just don't understand the mechanism by which it does those things.

darklord48 and SPiEkY like this.
  5. vipoid

Do you plan to stop parading your stupidity any time soon?

"At the end of its turn, this champion moves 2 spaces toward the closest enemy champion, and makes an attack against that champion if possible."

If the champion is not engaged and there is an enemy within 2 spaces, then the manic champion should move and attack that enemy.

If it instead remains where it is and does bugger all, then it hasn't followed the ability.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Well, the ability needs to follow some sort of rational. If you that its current logical opperation poorly represents the ability text, then bring it up with Sok and suggest some changes. But, within Pox's rule structure, Manic is actually entirely accurate and comparatively easy to understand. Once you know how it works, I'd even say it's easier to predict and control than some other process by which a Manic champ would re-route around all obstacles.

7. vipoid

But that's the point - the current rational apparently has the manic champion not actually move sometimes, which goes completely counter to the ability text.

And, again, how can it be "entirely accurate" when it blatantly disobeys its own text?

I guess when Teleport: Blood Ball refuses to teleport to a given Blood Ball, that ability must be entirely accurate as well.

8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I have never experienced this bug with manic before, can you recall some more specifics of the situations?

9. vipoid

Not really, it happened a while ago. If I encounter it again I'll take a screenshot.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Because a Manic champion may not move towards an enemy if there is an obstruction in its designated path of movement, even if there are alternate paths. Those are the only times I have ever seen a Manic champion remain stationary when not engaged to an enemy. If you have seen it do otherwise, then gather as much information as you can and make a helpful bug report.

DrakeArron and SPiEkY like this.
  11. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

This is correct, as far as I recall. Manic champions DON''T navigate around any type of obstacle e.g. Champs, terrain, relics. They make a straight line towards the closest enemy champ. If obstructed, they just don't move. It looks a bit funky but is wai I believe.

12. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

They sometimes do, I think it depends on where their target is and which space the obstacle is blocking. Depending on the position of the champions and what side of the board you are on it's movement can be predicted to a degree but even after years of struggling with Fleshblight zombies (lumbering + manic can be a nightmare) I still can't call it anything close to being reliable.

If you think about it as if the champ is moving along a compass heading it should start by trying to move NW and then NE,SE,SW but of course the location of the champ and the fact that sometimes you will have to 'zig zag' to get to it often make this extremely unpredictable. I also wouldn't take that order of directions as gospel as every now and again it seems to prioritize SW and then move clockwise from there.

If someone could explain exactly how Manic works i would really appreciate it.

13. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Reverse Knockback

14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Targeting is based on closest, then deployment order.

15. potatonuts

I'm talking about pathing not targeting.

16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Pathing is in the document in my quote. Page 15, Appendix 1.

potatonuts likes this.
  17. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

18. potatonuts

That more or less matches with how I thought it worked. If I encounter any other instances where it seems to move without following this pattern then I'll have to pay attention to what might have caused it.

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I have had that old chart printed out by my bedside for years, but I still can't get my head around it 'in game'!!

Because I'm an old buffoon.

20. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

put PC closer to bedside ?

Fentum likes this.