Thoughts on trashtalking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agirgis1, Apr 20, 2014.

1. kat7ra

kat7ra Member

I'm probably in the boat that gets more sad when faced with flamers. Because I know that some ppl can't take the verbual abuse for different reasons, and the trashtalk is making the day a lot worse for some ppl.
    There's of course different levels of trashtalk but the the rougher ones should be reportable, and the trashtalk can often be followed up by someone stalling the game and letting the timer run out just to be an ****, which also makes me sigh quite heavily

2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

oh Bane Shift, burn is user 100

some guys get all the luck

sorry, what was i gonna say... oh right-
    1: if i were going to make a list of people that have had a negative influence on the community, it would be a lot longer. i guess those are your big offenders, but if so i'd have to place emphasis on "your". pretty much all 4 of the people you implied as a bad experience for new players tend to help new players with/without them asking (more often with, for me. i've been flamed for helping before, i guess trashing someone and then telling them how to improve sounded patronizing)

2: you're either pulling from old stuff (that i don't remember, so it's possible) or consistently misinterpreting a lot of what happens (to my view anyhow). try keeping that positive intent !

3: what you say about me not being able to tell you what your feelings are is true. i can't tell you or anyone else how you feel.

the thing is, society kinda tells us all how *to* feel. at some point the line gets drawn between (to bust out some stereotypes. they may not be the most appropriate but you get the point i hope) "raging CoD 12 year old" and "wimpy multisexual unicorn". and there's no clear line between a group of individuals saying something and a community/society saying it, so far as i can tell. someone always gets cut out by this process (at both ends)

i think that's about it.

Authyrtyr likes this.
  3. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I don't like saying this, but @Dagda might be right.

On a seperate note, we really need a report button for in game chat (unless there's already one and I missed it). Oh, also one for actual cheating. Would've loved that for that one time that I saw a guy's Moga Slinger teleport to the font near my shrine on turn 1 followed by the opponent state that they were cheating.

That's really what this quickly degenerating conversation about quickly degenerating conversations comes down to, there needs to be a way to report and then it's up to Senshu (I'm assuming). Sure I think that abusive language has no place in a gaming community and @BurnPyro thinks that I need to stop being such a *****, but the important thing (if what Dagda said was accurate) is that everyone is trying to help people out and get more people into the game. My main concern is that negative language will create an environment that drives away new players. If the environment really comes down to a helpful environment with an overtone of poking at people then I don't care. Honestly I haven't spent much time playing with these players that most people here have complained about, my only experiences with trash talking have been purely negative with people talking down to me because I lost.

TL;DR: Read the the goddamn post

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

TLDR i said nothing about you or how you should behave, don't put words in my mouth.

All i said was that if you don't like what someone is posting, then ignore them. If you want everyone to post stuff you approve of on the internet, you're gonna have a bad time.

5. Authyrtyr

I'm not concerned about agreeing with what you're saying I'm just worried about how the community appears to a new player. I could really care less what exactly it is that you're saying, I'm just a little peeved about how it's said. Obviously you don't need to listen to what I have to say and vice versa but having an opponent trash talk me can be discouraging as I'm trying to figure out how to play this game well. You say I can ignore what you're saying but the annoying part to me is that while I find a lot of speech coming some of the players here venomous, I hesitant about hitting the ignore button because the same people make good points elsewhere and I do enjoy reading actually good discussions about this game.

6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

?

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

wait what

I thought you were talking about the forums, since it seems that that was what bobbyjoblo was on about.

about ingame, idk. A lot of people who ive played with for over 6 years have some friendly banter in lobby, anyone who isn't new to the internet can see that new player or not. If said person would be new to the internet, any online game would probably be a revelation anyway.

8. Authyrtyr

I'm agreeing with you Dagda, sorry for the backhanded complement.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

nobody likes you

10. Authyrtyr

I thought we were talking about ingame, maybe there's a disconnect somewhere

11. Indijanac

Indijanac I need me some PIE!

I not the best at English so ppl can trashtralk me all the want :p

RedScarlet likes this.
  12. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

):

13. kat7ra

kat7ra Member

There is a huge difference in one of the old timers getting anoyed on a new/semi new player talking like he knows everything about the game after a month of playing, and then starting to tell whats wrong, what balance and what not.
    And someone in the game you're playing screamign ****** at you while you're playing.

Some people might be offended by the old timers because it doesn't seem like they listen to the new ppl, which is most of the time true, cause they've heard it before, and can very fast see if you're right, or more often than not, wrong.
    When a player can't get over being "offended" by the old timers and keep on spiraling down, the person gets a rep of being an idiot, and will get trolled/flamed by the most posting forum dwellers.

That I believe is a forum thing anyway, and it's more about a lot of new players that have a very little understanding of their small understanding of the game. Than old players being ********.

14. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Just to chime in on how we approach trash talk.

Playful trash talking is understandable part of the gaming experience. We do not condone the action especially when it crosses the line from being playful to being hateful. It is advised to anyone who does not like this type of behavior to either ask the other player to stop or use /ignore on the other player. We want Pox to be as inclusive as possible, which means we give you the players the powers to control the content you see.

With that said, some of the screenshots with trash talk were removed because they actively displayed inappropriate language. The only reason why the video links were left is because the viewer needs to actively click on them to play the content.

RedScarlet and DarkJello like this.
  15. Authyrtyr

So there is an ignore function... Could there be a button? I had no idea that that command existed.

16. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

In game type /ignore ADD username
    On forum click People's avatar and select ignore user

17. Authyrtyr

I knew about the forum one because there's a button that appears if I click on someone's name. The /ignore function wasn't known to me. I'll admit that the only chat commands that I know are /r and /w (and /ignore I guess).

18. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Try /saxy, /who, /buddy

19. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

One learns something new every day :D
    Right on the money BansheeX.

20. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I like how many of the people that are against trash talking want taunts in his runes.