Turn based RPG's?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bondman007, Aug 24, 2016.

1. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Well, it's real time with a pause mechanic. There aren't any turns.

2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

That's incorrect. The combat is split into rounds. 1 round is 6 seconds in D&D games. Pillars of Eternity uses a similar system for spells and attacks (I say similar because I am not sure how long a single round is in PoE). The circle that fills itself below your character's feet is how long it takes them to go from round to round.

3. potatonuts

Well yeah but that's just each characters action speed, everything else in the world continues in real time. It's not like the turns are predesignated and everything freezes while your guys take their actions.

There is a clear distinction between it and something like FF or FO, I've always know of it as being referred to as a pause based styem if anything.

4. Etherielin

Baldur's Gate and IWD and NWN use that system as well and it's referred to as PBRTC (Paused Based Real Time Combat) and TBRTC (Turn Based Real Time Combat) so there's that. ^^

Bondman007 likes this.
  5. potatonuts

I stopped reading here :p

6. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

I have PoE and I do like it, but I am more of a traditionalist D&D player I guess. I like the standard classes (cleric, rogue, mage) vs PoE's different takes on things. Plus, that game seems to thrust you into some unfair fights at times where it literally seems you have no chance.

7. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Haven't seen a good one in ages. Couple of old ones which were cool, but pretty much unknown outside of Russia:
    Paradise Cracked (it was remastered recently, and now runs well on modern pcs)
    Gorky 17 (no idea if it was remastered)

8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah, same here.
    So the games you recommend for a guy with our "taste" are the ones in your post, correct? Or have you found a new one since then?

9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Hey, so am I (Re:traditional DnD player). In that regard, what is your favorite title?

10. Bondman007

Honestly, Neverwinter Nights 2 and all of its expansions are my favorite to date. Great story, 3rd edition ruleset, and decent graphics. Story is linear, but keeps you engaged (there are a few side quests you can do). However, one of its coolest aspects is allowing you to manage your own keep (and I like the system they use). You collect taxes and assign your men on patrols. Its really awesome and would be my pick if you haven't played it.

Baskitkase and Etherielin like this.
  11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I loved that one. Not sure if I played that before or after I played Pool of Radiance back in they day but its most definitely worth a replay.

Bondman007 likes this.
  12. Bondman007

Definitely man. One thing they do in NWN2 to make it replayable is that if you go thru it with different classes then you open areas that weren't there before. For instance, if you play thru as a fighter, you will get fighter scenarios. As a rogue, you will miss the fighter ones but get rogue scenarios. Same for most of the classes that I can tell (and I have played thru it several times).
    One thing I really, really like in these type games is continuation. NWN2 has a great story and ends with a very cool boss. Then, their expansion that takes you to level 30 begins right where it leaves off! Literally. It can be played stand alone but you can also import the character you just spent hours making and continue it right on. I love stuff like that! (You even manage to keep your gear, er, well, most of it anyways..)

13. Bondman007

Bought it and loving it so far. It's Baldur's Gate-esque but that's a very good thing! Thanks for the recommendation.

anima62 likes this.
  14. potatonuts

Icewind Dale basically is Baldur's Gate, They were both made around the same time so there is very little differences apart form the setting and story. Btw, if you go on the GoG website it will have a modding guide for the BG and ID games which i highly recommend you follow, for me they surpass the EE release by far.

Has anyone been keeping up to date on Tides of Numenaria? Seems like a promising game.

Age of Decadence is another one which was looking good in development, lost track of it lately.

anima62 likes this.
  15. Etherielin

I have the early access to Tides and it's going to be to Planescape: Torment AND Temple of Elemental Evil what Pillars of Eternity was to Baldur's Gate. It's a great game in the making.

anima62 likes this.
  16. anima62

anima62 Guest

I feel the same way about Planescape: Torment. My first play through took me a lot of time and alot of exploring back and forth and trying to figure stuff out, it was good fun.

If you like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and such id recommend Planescape: Torment. Dont let the age of it put you off, its a great game.

All the Baldurs Gate games.
    Icewind Dale I and II
    Final Fantasy tactics.
    Fire Emblem.
    Vandal Hearts
    Cant think of anything else off top of my head, i havent been actively playing or hunting for these kinds of games for a while. Im still waiting on that Numenera game, it looked very promising indeed.

17. potatonuts

Actually now you mention some Jrpgs i remember Golden Sun on the GBA being really good.

18. Etherielin

I think I'd already mentioned it, but I also recommend Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. It's a great and faithul interquel for BG1 and BG2. A bit linear but really great to play.

19. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Im at work, cant look it up with details right now, is it PC only?

20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

There is a Mac version.