this game is not advertised enought...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thailady, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

i invited a player recently to poxnora, he tried the game for 1.3 hours, then quit saying rubbish old graphics, can't rotate the map, cant zoom in and out, and the monsters are stupid. he did not like the game but said he completed the tutorial.

i met him on a fantasy real time strategy game also with Bane Shift graphics albeit 3d.

i offered to get him his first deck he said dont bother, will not play again.

im not taking a dig at this game, i disagree on all his points.

just putting it out there.

2. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's actually the other way around. It slowed the rate of decline. Not being able to obtain something AT ALL except via trade sharks isn't "no challenge" so much as "basically unobtainable."

I agree with you that people need goals and incentives to work for things, but it's not like new players can just go ahead and forge 20 LEGs whenever they want. It's obtainable, but it's not handed out like candy or anything.

free20play likes this.
  4. Sokolov

Because Duelyst launched when Steam was a big thing.

Pox is super old. When Pox launched, Steam was barely a thing.

It's like this... compare how many "likes" a new Justin Beiber song gets vs a "classic" song on YT and the difference is dramatic. But that's not because the new song is better, it's just timing.

5. Osidan

Osidan I need me some PIE!

You are right, Yugioh has even bigger numbers.

6. Sokolov

Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't have numbers. It has scientific notations.

Etherielin likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

As someone with a huge collection

Firk that Bane Shift into oblivion

sincerely Firk that Bane Shift, I was here when it was a kidney per exotic and it was cancer

8. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Likewise - even a warbanner was worth a leg or two. Stuff was dumb.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Anyone claiming this game was better of as a CTCG is delusional.

We had more players back in the day... because people who had tried the niche game were still here, then over time more people left than joined. If even 10% of them thought that keeping this game retardedly costy for the sake of having a goal in a game was a good thing, I'll eat my shoe.

Sure it was super fun to have a harb worth a few hundred bucks. And then in the same era realize that trading was a "do you want this? Or this? Or this? Or this?" to other people, cause there were no pricing lists/guides/whatever and sharks wanted stupid amounts of stuff for what you wanted from them.

Sincerely, I hope anyone who thinks this is a great business model for this game (or any game) ****s off and never comes back.

prymusedek and Etherielin like this.
  10. Osidan

Osidan I need me some PIE!

Hah! :)

11. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

Then I just don't understand where are all those grateful free-to-play players are? Under what rock are they hiding? They should be delirious with happiness and playing poxnora more. Instead, I see less than 100 people online at peak time (went to about 130 with Planar Disturbances, but I assume that's temporary).

I recently saw a video on Youtube, in which a guy said that he had spent $46,000 on MTG Online. And MTG, as far as I know, doesn't give out free stuff. And people play and give them money. You can defend your business model all you want, but numbers speak for themselves.

PS. Perhaps you are right, and maybe Poxnora won't be a popular game whatever business model you use simply because the game is way too complex for a **** sapiens. And perhaps the current model is the best; I just don't see that it's working.

12. fogandsteel

Lol, censoring the word "****" in "**** sapiens."

IronStylus likes this.
  13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

What the strawman

You just looked at two things and said: "that's definitely cause and effect right here". There's absolutely no proof that going F2P hurt the playerbase. IN FACT the playerbase has gone up since the introduction of the rune forge and all the work sok has done.

Like I said, this game is very niche. It's most likely that originally most of the playerbase was comprised of people that loved the type of game. After that poor management from SoE's side drove those players away, while there wasn't much incentive to join later on (as there is now), therefor there was no influx to compensate for the outflux.

Both the assumption that people want this game to be super costy because some guy spend 46k on MTG and that there's definitely cause and effect between pay to play and a higher playerbase are exactly what those are. Assumptions. There has been no proof whatsoever, quite the contrary (as seen before).

So until you come with something substantial I'll leave you with the good ol'

"what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

super71, Tweek516, iiiioooque and 3 others like this.
  14. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

It's better now with more access. There used to be complaints all the time about how this game was pay to win and how it was too expensive to make and maintain a competitive bg. I've seen several threads by f2p members being very grateful and I've seen more from returning players about how much better the game is now that almost everything is accessible. I used to have a lot of fun trading in this game...and then it went to Bane Shift. There were trade sharks all over the place, the few player stores were almost always out of stock of good things since the sharks abused them to keep their own profits high. The game's in a much better place now.

JellyBerry, Etherielin and BurnPyro like this.
  15. fogandsteel

I started playing Poxnora when it was introduced on Steam (2014). At that time there were, if I remember correctly, about 300 players at peak time. You guys state that the game has improved substantially since that time: a lot of fixed bugs, forgeable Leg runes (I don't remember if you could forge Exotics in 2014-15), etc. But I see that the number of players dropped. (Had similar experience recently with what Thailady wrote in the second post in this thread: waiting for about half an hour or an hour for Training PvP match a few times, then giving up on it.)

I am not trying to get into an argument; I'm just trying to wrap my head around "Game has become better, but there are fewer players playing it." I expressed my opinion. I might be wrong. Just trying to understand the situation. I do not own a single MTG card, never played it, do not know much about it. Used the MTG Online example because both Poxnora and MTG Online fall into the same category of games. And the guy in that video complained how bad the online implementation of the MTG was, and said he wouldn't spend one more dollar on the game untill the owners of the game improve the interface and other features of the game. Basically, I understand that the MTG Online has shitty graphics and bugs, but people still dumped and perhaps still dump a ton of money on it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    super71 likes this.
  16. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

A lot of that has to do with name recognition and nostalgia for the original CCG. Sometimes it's easier to play online than to go to a store to play for a few hours. As far as the improvements several of us are talking about they include knowledge of before the Steam roll out. The Steam roll out of PoxNora was pretty much botched. The improvements have been ongoing since before the Steam roll out and have continued afterwards. There are some that definitely get motivated by chasing the golden ring, but there are a lot of others that will see how far away that ring is and decide it's not worth it. Games that go f2p have to walk a very fine line between accessibility/playability for new players and sales; whether it be of new material or things that improve the general gameplay without being necessary.

I guess what I'm saying is that what you're proposing makes sense for a small part of the population, but not enough to keep a game like this alive.

JellyBerry and Etherielin like this.
  17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

There is absolutely no way Pox had 300 players on in 2014. Maybe on the peak of a launch day, other than that no way.

I'm sure sok has data on this, but ever since late 2012-2013 we've been around 150-200 tops.

MTG is pretty different in the way that it also has a pretty popular physical game, which draws people in. Pox can only hope to ever be that popular/known, even though I thought MTG online wasn't doing too hot.

As someone who has been here for almost the whole ride, the gameplay might have been deemed better in the past (nostalgia mostly), everyhing from accessibility to support to features got so much better.

I can see how people would enjoy a collectable aspect. They still can. It's just less of a "haha I dropped a few thousand on this game to get all high value runes and can now curbstomp whatever you're running cause my mom's creditcard said so".

I much prefer this system. And I have spent an obscene amount of money on this game.

JellyBerry, SPiEkY and Etherielin like this.
  18. Sokolov

You can't just use the absolute numbers as anything.

Imagine this scenario.

Let's say there are 1000 users of a product. And the next day there are 990, then 980.

You might say, "Oh, the model obviously isn't attracting new players." But that might or might not be true. It could be that the product is shedding 10 players a day, and gaining 0. Or it is shedding 500 players a day and gaining 490. You can't tell that based on the aggregate number.

Remember that concurrency of users depends on two factors - new users, and old users. If the rate of new users is greater than the rate of old users leaving, then you get an increase, and vice versa.

Most games, after the initial launch period, DECLINE in the number of users - with spikes when they release new content or expansions, but rarely goes above the original launch period (there are exceptions such as League and Civ, but I am talking general). That's because the initial launch (for Pox, that was 10 years ago) is when you get the majority of the attention and users. At this stage of Pox's cycle, most people who want to play Pox probably already have tried it at some point in the last 10 years, so the impact of most changes aren't going to be huge.

For example, Duelyst on Steam reached 2100 concurrent users after launch, and has steadily declined down to 1400. Does this mean the game is failing and they should change their entire business model? No, that's an expected rate of decline - you won't retain every user.

Numbers do speak for themselves, but it's not always what they say on the surface level that matters.

~

Additionally, the argument that "there could be more players" is always one you can use... no matter what situation it was. Players said the same thing before the accessibility push. Now that it's done and there isn't a ton more concurrent, we have players saying "maybe it doesn't work." And let's say we switch back and things don't change, will you come back to me and say "Maybe accessibility would work better, I just don't see this working?"

I have said this in other places before, but generally speaking, people (devs and players alike), overestimate the impacts their ideas have on a product. It is generally very difficult to change the trajectory of a product, especially if a product has been on the market for awhile. It's just reality.

My perspective is that the changes we have made to the business model will allow Pox to continue to be run longer than it would otherwise. I could be wrong, but that is what I see based on the numbers. Pox has NEVER been good at retaining new users, but it's certainly has improved since the changes (we are talking things like 3-day, 7-day, 30-day retention, etc.).

We'll also have more data with the PS4 launch.

Leadrz likes this.
  19. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

This all depends on how excessive and in what context they were used. There was a stent where this was abused excessively by many which resulted in the temporary censoring.

20. Sokolov

By the way, would people be interested in an explanation of user funnels and retention and how all that stuff is calculated/considered in the industry, as well as how it relates to PoxNora?

Qucas, Etherielin and fogandsteel like this.