Does anyone want to intelligently discuss the state of competetive gameplay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nastyhobo, Sep 7, 2016.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

it doesnt though? its only 2 turns of reveals. unless your idea of a BG is nothing but shadowspawn units in which case your doing something wrong

2. Nastyhobo

Nastyhobo The King of Potatoes

Well Idk what you mean by that Macca, the ability says it prevents stealth for 3 rounds upon deploy. Obviously you are mostly right that if your bg is nothing but shadowspawn its your own fault when you get countered. My point is basically the game is - OK GUYS! Here's this ability that does this one thing. Now here's this other ability that exists that completely counter acts that ability so uh.. ya, if your against that, dont use it. I mean wow. What great strategic planning going on.

It's just a pseudo form of strategy imo. Obviously you can decide between deploying the champ or not, but why would an ability exist that negates all shadowspawn? Don't we have detection for strategic counter to stealth?

3. themacca

there's lots of stuff like that though.

No'khan do-Precision

Any Dot-Resilient

Any CC-Purified/cleansing aura/unstoppable

Charm/possession/distraction-Iron Will

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Not really.

Because it's one ability that shuts the champ down forever, in a way that all your other champs also benefit from the shut down.

Having resilient only tanks for one champ. Having precision only makes one champ ignore NKD. It's a completely different scenario to shut down a whole champ with 1 ability. Or have 1 champ go through 1 champ.

SPiEkY and Nastyhobo like this.
  5. Nastyhobo

Yes that is true, but most of those are soft counters and still perfectly usable because it doesn't change the state of your ability against the entire game, just the one champion that has the ability has the advantage. Thus strategy comes into play. Plan for the champ with precision. If precision was "All of your champions can hit through reflexes/evasive/block/dodge/blahblah then that would be the same thing, but its a soft counter.

Woffleet likes this.
  6. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

exactly. Not all hard counters are bad but in this case it causes problems

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't think not allowing Shadowspawn is shutting down a champ forever. That's the only ability it really hard counters. Yea, it stops you from using regular Stealth for a bit also, but it's not forever either.

Detection is the other anti-Stealth mechanic, which gives you a radius around your champion, but it's persistent, and shuts down stealth "forever" in that range - no matter where it came from, while Discovery is only really good against one type of Stealth.

And while it is true some champs rely on Shadowspawn for some of their abilities, it's unlikely that such a champ does nothing at all the rest of the game just because it lost Stealth (which it can do so via a lot of things).

So suggesting that the ability shuts down a whole champ is a bit of a stretch.

Etherielin and GemmaXylia like this.
  8. Nastyhobo

^
    The champ isn't shut down for ever necessarily, but the ability is. There are a very large number of champions that have shadowspawn and no other means of stealth. My point is an ability that counters runes in the rune dock is silly, not strategic and devalues other play styles making them less viable. If your champ is stealthed your obviously not going to walk into the range of detection unless its going to benefit you. That one champ with detection is going to have to play hide and seek based off of where you might be. Or they would have to decide if it is more important to deploy a jab for example, or use a spell to find the stealth. Discovery just shuts that all down before the shadow spawn champ even leaves the rune dock. GG problem solved. Now what else can I hard counter to stack the game and make strategy a marginal factor for my chances of winning.

9. Sokolov

Abilities that have a single trigger are going to be shut down if the effect is countered. That isn't the fault of Discovery. As the player facing Discovery, you can choose not to deploy the Shadowspawn champion at all. On the other hand, deploying a Shadowspawn champion first means that Discovery won't trigger, but, the enemy CAN reply with Detection or Static Greeting, etc.

I don't know, I understand what you mean conceptually, but I am not sure this is an egregious case of it.

On the other hand, if Discovery read, "Whenever a champion becomes Stealthed, it gains Illuminated." Then I'd be right there with you.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  10. Nastyhobo

The difference being that the other person is forced to account for my shadow spawn ability after the fact and re evaluate their deploys and strategy. Using things like jab, spells, global on deploy damage etc still play into the strategy of it as they are making the decision of when it is crucial for them to use that ability because it's effects go beyond just being a counter to stealth.

Discovery says nope, if i know you have champions with shadow spawn than I have a rune that is an anti shadowspawn and your shadow spawn doesn't count. To me that just seems silly. it's effect isn't taking place while I'm on the board I will know where you've deployed that champion and where you intend to head with it as soon as it's deployed just like any othe champion that might as well not have had the Nora cost or upgrade slot of shadowspawn. it doesnt play into strategy it's just a hard counter to a specific style of play.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  11. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

Should Seism refund 20% of the nora and reduce the CD of relics it destroys?

It did its job, it gave reprieve, and now the owner gets a bit of generosity.
    Crutch relics will just have to be waited out for 2-4 turns rather than the full CD.
    Fair trade off for global assassination?

12. themacca

nope

13. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Almost every problem with this game, even most perceived balance issues, would be solved by a (massive) population increase. That's not ever going to happen. The problems are not ever going to go away.

JellyBerry likes this.
  14. Nastyhobo

What I usually hear people say is the reverse. That the game is never going to increase in population until every problem and balance issue is solved. I've also heard it said that they are trying to solve a lot of these before branching out into bigger areas.

I think most of what I usually see people talking about in the forums regarding balance are just favoritism and selective garbage that leads to terrible nerfs making something either stupid, or unplayable, and completely disregarding legitimate reasons for why something or some theme isn't balanced. I'm eager to see how the nerf bat is going to effect voil after all the drama around them even though it's just one small part of voil that are crazy strong people seem to think the entire theme is stronger than the iceberg that sunk the Titanic.

15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

More people would mean more money which would mean upgrades to hardware, software l, humanware. A lot of people also means a lot more gamers heads thinking about how to produce power in BGs. More power found throughout all the factions and decks means less focus one the one current OP trend and a fewer and more obvious (or valid as you say) calls for balance. With more humans on the payroll, responses to balance issues could be more complete and implemented faster. The client, story, art (already fantastic), gameplay, expansion in the market, advertising and it just keeps going, it all gets better.

16. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Sok please stop saying this, shattered peaks is broken and would be broken regardless of whose playing it. Themes have never been broken because someone good is playing them i'd actually argue that themes are more broken when you get bottom tier players making 10 game win streaks. It's annoying you keep saying this when people that know balance in poxnora have been stating that sp needed nerfs months ago and some runes years.

17. Nastyhobo

Your definitely right about that I wouldn't disagree with a thing you said but unfortunately I'm not in charge of the company or marketing or anything.

Like I said I've been with this game for pretty much all of its existence and I have given my support and money to it all the while because I enjoy. the only thing beyond that you can do as a player is create and support a community within the game to foster growth.

Woffleet and Baskitkase like this.
  18. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Sokolov needs to read that first paragraph where hobo is talking about games feeling dry.

It's the key to understanding why this game is dull. Everything is so simple, nothing is complex so everything is predicable so nothing is fun, even if it's easy to do.

Tldr: it started with gedden

Ps: when ever I beat anyone with IS I did it in such a manner it would inspire threads that devs listened too. So I guess it's too late for IS to accept my apology for being a good poxnora player.

19. Sokolov

It's one of those catch-22 situations where it's really just a circular argument.

Playerbase > Improvements > Playerbase > Improvements > ...

At the heart of it is that it's REALLY hard to change the trajectory of a product once it's gone in a certain direction after awhile (well, you can easily mess it up, but improving it is more difficult).

Players and devs alike often think that whatever they perceive to the issue, once solved, will lead to a bigger playerbase and growth of the game and everything will be awesome (whether that issue is advertising, balance, NUX, features, bugs, etc). But the truth is each of those things will do a little bit and only dramatic shifts in direction will actually lead to the bigger impacts. If it was an easy as advertising more, games would run forever.

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Yeah people don't like losing to little beetch mediocre players