Stellar Horizon heals for incorrect, obscene amounts of health. Wisp's acolyte bug spotted again.

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Etherielin, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Had a long game as Magic Amp, spotted this bug:

1. Get a champion in position.
    2. Cast Stellar Horizon for 3rd/4th time during the game, affecting 2 enemies.
    3. Heal for 12 HP each instead of 4. The affected champion did not have magic acolyte or any other source of healing.

I believe this can be easily reproduced by casting the already cooled down copy of Stellar Horizon repeatedly. It's not necessary to do it on the same champion as previously. I'm not sure if there's any other dependancy included, but the 2 games I witnessed it in - there was no conncection between them other than casting SH for the 3rd/4th time.

Also while playing the BG I spotted the acolyte bug again:
    1. Wisp had 12 hp left and 3 different immunities on it.
    2. I attack a Skeezick Herder with Menalaus. The damage type is magic.
    3. Wisp's health doesn't go up.
    4. I drop grimlic's bane on the Herder. The damage type is magic and kills the Herder.
    5. Wisp's health doesn't go up.
    6. I attack a nearby manticore.
    7. Wisp's HP goes up by 2, to 14 total.

As described above magic acolyte's cap was not expended as my wisp still managed to heal itself. However, no other source of magic damage was able to heal it anymore. It died the following turn so I was not able to see if the bug persisted or was a 1-time occurence.

@Sokolov Any idea what this could be about?

2. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

I spotted the Stellar Horizon bug on one of my first games after the new release, but have never seen it since.

Definitely something though.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Confirmed Stellar Horizon bug. Should be easily fixed.

There was something with Acolyte that's been addressed, not sure if it relates to that issue, but that one I cannot reproduce in that manner.

4. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

What was the source of the bug? Was there some hidden interaction that didn't go past inner tests, yet remained within the code? Sort of like there's that 20 nora SP spell that "remembers" its last dealt damage against specific champ? I'm genuinely curious.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's because the code didn't properly initialize the variable.

So what happened was, on first cast of Stellar Horizon, it'd increment the counter for how much to heal.

And then, when you casted it again later (the same copy of the spell), that variable already has a value, so it just added it to.

Testing is normally not done on multiple casts of the same copy of the spell, so it wasn't caught in pre-release testing.

As for bug reports, if previous reports did not mention that additional detail, then it would have been difficult to reproduce as I usually test via cheat codes that allow me to cast any spell quickly without having to put it in my deck. But it makes this kind of bug almost impossible to detect unless someone specifically mentions it was the second cast of the same spell (in your case, you said 3rd/4th casts, which means it has to be AT LEAST the 2nd cast of any copy).

~

The fix is to initialize the variable with a value of 0 on every cast (which is good programming practice anyway).

Fixed! :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Etherielin likes this.