Do spirits really need to cover the whole map in DMZ though?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Sep 5, 2016.

1. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I never said it would look pretty but it's about time the game became a bit more friendly toward QOL. There is a reason we have a massive thread about emotional fatigue.
    Besides it could be made to only show the different colors with the grid up.

There is no way in hell i'd play a faction which had a mutually beneficial font bonus, especially as it's currently one of the worst bonuses in the game already. So yeah a new bonus would be absolutely necessary IMO.

2. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Well I certainly agree with that. Problem is if there is the willpower for that kind of discussion concerning FW which has been met with vitriol from both sides.

potatonuts likes this.
  3. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

There are very few FW players I would consider reasonable (you and kalasle spring to mind), so it's difficult, when any change to make FW abide by at least one rule everyone else has to follow (be it spell resistance affecting their crucial spells, DMZ being able to block the entire battlefield or Elsari Coven's curse lasting forever as these 3 are the most outlying and infuriating issues) is met with "GG ded faktionz" by FW players.

4. potatonuts

I think certain people allow their hatred for FW to leak into these discussions. It often seems like they deteriorate from being objective and reasonable to being some kind of anti FW circlejerk.

Whilst i understand that people hate FW I think they would get much more out of this whole forum experience by making constructive criticism and suggestions for their own factions rather than constantly trying to have FW nerfed into the dirt.

5. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

I took FW to rank 1.......it was my first faction.

6. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

If Naturalize were changed to remove all terrain effects and terrain modifications that would be amazing. As is there is very little one can do to get rid of DMZ once it is there.

7. Etherielin

The only effects naturalize fails to remove - from my personal experience - are DMZ and Tendrils of the Deep. Any other terrain modification, that I've encountered so far, seems to get removed.

8. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Fire Wall and Hallowed Ground remains as well.

9. Etherielin

The latter I saw being removed and persisting - both happening in the same game. HG from consecrated ground would get removed, while Trail: HG would stay. Guess it's inconsistent.

Xirone likes this.
  10. potatonuts

That was not directed at you if that's what you are thinking.

11. shiron895

shiron895 New Member

There are definitely cons to an agnostic DMZ. Thee specific targeted spells yobanchi mentioned being a big one, and the fact that the FW font/shrine being a double edged sword is another and

However, I feel that as the person laying down the DMZ, and therefore marginally in control of it (Darkweave and Shadestrike being slight exceptions), the caster would be able to anticipate the location of said DMZ work around it either with global effects or correct timing (playing target spells before covering an area in DMZ). They would also be able to build their BG so that the agnostic DMZ isn't as big of an issue. It turns DMZ into more of a control mechanic rather than a counter mechanic (as it counters opponents spells). I feel that the agnostic DMZ would offer up more strategic options and variability rather than simply shutting down enemy spell casting (thereby eliminating around 25% or more of a players BG).

As for the target friendly champion spells, some off them could undergo a bit of tweaking to make them viable with an agnostic DMZ, but I also feel that, along with the previous point I made, the controllers of said DMZ could simply plan ahead before indiscriminately laying down DMZ.

I do think this would require the font/shrine bonus to need some tweaking. Spells are an important part of font/shrine defense, and making FW players unable to defend their own shrines with a well placed and timed spell does pose a problem for anyone planning on playing FW. Should the DMZ be changed to agnostic, and the font/shrine bonus remain as it is, you would be pigeonholing FW players in to playing completely aggressive decks, because they know that defending their fonts and shrine will be very difficult, should momentum turn against them.

These are simply my opinions, and I do realize that it is a big change and would significantly change how FW is played and received, both by its fans and enemies.

Sokolov likes this.
  12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

You know, if DMZ became agnostic, then maybe necrosis could be changed to expand the shrine bonus along with SDZ.

darklord48 likes this.
  13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Wouldn't that turn Worms into Jörmungandr?

Etherielin likes this.
  14. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I would hazard a guess that if DMZ became agnostic then the FW font/shrine bonus would be reworked. Seems like the easiest fix to avoid having to rework the spells. Hard to discuss that though without knowing the intention.