Counter to Soul Corruption and Sabotage Defile

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by concealedweapon, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Doom was more popular back then from what I can see in my data (FW itself was somewhat less popular than it currently is, so that might be the difference you are seeing). I mean, when there are were more 80-90 nora champs running around and things like Reconstitute Stitched First, and Mosharn, etc., along with Superchamp decks (I kind of miss playing my Jek superchamp deck) and all, you kind of needed ways to just off those things. Now it's somewhat more rare (with a few exceptions).

Also, remember that Doom back then was pre-Short-Lived nerf, so it dropped double globe. And also that I am pretty sure it launched at 35 nora.

~

Also, if this map rotation is more rushy, as we have previously discussed, wouldn't that also reduce the viability of Doom?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Super-confident Doom came out at 40.

3. Sokolov

It's hard for me to tell that stuff sometimes, since what I played internally also might have been different.

I also seem to recall a SL2 version.

4. Sokolov

Note: I am considering redesigning Soul Corruption.

5. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

Im only somewhat excited about Sok revamping Soul Corruption because Im thinking he may make it into something I find actually useful

6. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Good I hope soul corruption is permanently removed from play do to it bein virtually uncounterable. FW players only recourse is to talk about how useful soul corruption is and how silly we all are because there are so many counters to this wonderful spell(insert more retrd FW logic).

7. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

There are plenty of counters though? And there's no fw players here saying oh there's nothing wrong with it

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Short Lived has always been 6/8 turns, and Doom has always been SL 1, to the best of my recollection. If you have some specific source to counter that assertion, then please provide it -- everything I have found, from the old Poxpulse site to the old Wikia to the PoxBase archive all list Doom as 40 nora, SL 1, and 6 turns in the reminder text. Don't make historical assertions without substantive citation.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Considering the paucity of sources for runes during the Octopi period, can neither confirm nor deny that. Checked back through old YT videos and did some google searches -- nothing. It was not, however, 12 turns on the release of Doom, to the extent that I can find information, so any perception you have in that regard seems erroneous.

Youtube searching did turn up this gem, though.

10. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

Holy sheet, Batman. That's some pretty ancient stuff. Been a long time since I've see those stat boxes and that was when you actually could reveal your own runes. The old 20 rune dock too.

It's been a long time, but I think it used to be SL 1 was 8 and SL 2 was 12.

Etherielin likes this.
  11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The music really sets the whole thing off, in my opinion.

ChiaoLung likes this.
  12. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ok, so if that is the oldest version of the ability, then that would explain DMR's sense that SL was 12 turns (probably saw it on Skeletal Berserker). Still leaves SL 1 at 6 turns without contradiction.

14. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Wasn't Doom SL2 before?

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Not seeing any evidence at all of this. If it theoretically was SL2, do you have any idea when it might have been changed?

The furthest back reference I can find to Doom in the current forums patch notes is this: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/patch-notes-january-29th-2015.10932/#post-153118

That change, however, was an addition of the no-cleanse clause for clarity, because the old PoxBase archive, which goes further back then that, still lists Doom as SL1 / 6 turns, but without the cleanse clause.

Edit: and here's the old Wikia entry: http://poxnora.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_(spell)

16. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It's entirely possible that I'm misremembering, it wouldn't be the first time.

17. Sokolov

I am pretty sure it was 8/12 originally, and then it became 6/8 at some point.

As for Doom, I am not sure it was ever SL2, but I am doubting it at this point.

Either way, Doom has been at 6 turns for a long time so it's not super relevant either way. The SL nerf removing the globe is relatively recent, and did make it worse in most situations.

SPiEkY likes this.
  18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Well, considering that someone is anonymously editing the wikia entry, we may never know. Here's a snap-shot of the cached version that shows 6/12, the current version showing 8/12, and the edit, made 4 hours ago, making a chance to the Short-Lived page. First change made by this account, which, because it doesn't have a user name, presents an IP address, which in turn traces to a place in Ontario, just outside of Toronto. Even the most well-intentioned adjustment to records is an abhorrent violation of history. Anyway, let the record stand that the Wikia entry listed 6/12 for SL1/2, until this morning.

wiki entry edit.png
    wiki entry edit 2.png
    wiki entry edit 3.png
    wiki entry edit 4.png
    wiki entry edit 5.png

JellyBerry likes this.
  19. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

The wiki link also has the new version of rapid assault, and I am certain that SL went through a change at the same time as that spell, sometime around maljaran war/heroes dawn. Prior to that change, RA allowed you to summon a champ for the cost of the spell, but the champ had short lived. At the same time, you could also reset short lived by dooming a champ. Caine achieved a top rank through this combo (I'm sure you can find a Sepulcher video where Caine is making some really bizarre moves that he gets called out for, but still wins the game thanks to some crazy powerful combos). That combination led to a change in both the spell and the ability, and I am pretty sure that the short lived timer was altered at the same time as the removal of the cooldown reset.

20. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I do remember Doom being 40 nora and it tearing up super champ bgs to some extend. There was still that ST spell that handed shield out like candy back then so it worked to an extent.

There were some changes to doom regarding the addition of 5 nora along with the nerfs to SL including the globe and turn modification.
    Doom becomes less used when people run more small champs so this may be more meta shift then anything honestly.