Artillery Strike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nivekflakes, Sep 24, 2016.

1. nivekflakes

nivekflakes I need me some PIE!

I don't claim to have an expert grasp on the meta, but let us look at this ability compared to fire bomb 3
    Artillery Strike
    Rng 7-9 3 space spread
    AOE 2
    AP 4 not on att chain?
    CD 1
    Dmg =100% unit dmg, does not ignore def

effect takes place beginning of
    next turn

Fire Bomb
    Rng 1-5 5 space spread
    AOE 2
    AP+1 on attack chain so 4 ap if first attack
    CD 3
    Dmg=80% but ignores def and causes charred 2 so in many cases it will deal an extra 3-5 dmg negating the 20% dmg loss on champs with 20 or less dmg
    effect takes place immediately

The main thing artillery strike has over fire bomb is the increased range and rduced CD, the 20% less dmg on FB is often mitigated by the fact it ignores def and causes charred 2. Artillery strike costs 25 nora and FB3 costs 10, is the increased range and decreased CD really worth 15 nora? (and it is more restrictive as to the total area it covers). Also Artillery strike's effect doesn't happen for a whole turn giving the opponent an chance to move out of the area, delayed effects are most often considered weaker than immediate effects. Just curious what others think. Maybe we could increase CD to reduce cost?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. damnfoolishyeti

damnfoolishyeti I need me some PIE!

I'm pretty sure the costing of such unique abilities are geared more towards the individual runes than over all game data base. sorry if it's such a simple statement negating the reasoning .

Kampel likes this.
  3. nivekflakes

This could very well be the case, but I think that @Sokolov wanted to cost abilities correctly instead of arbitrarily, perhaps this could warrant a second look?

4. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

One thing to note is that the artillery strike doesn't happen at the beginning of the next turn. It is at the beginning of the next round or the end of the next turn, I can't remember which one. Either way, the player using it has to guess where the opponent's champions are going to be after they play their turn. That is a pretty big downside. There are maps, of course, where figuring out where the opposing player's champs will be is easier. Anyway, this is a good topic to discuss but wanted to make sure everyone knew there is definitely some guesswork involved in using artillery strike.

poinl, Pattn199, Tweek516 and 4 others like this.
  5. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Tortalleon Gunbattery is one of my all time favourite champs, its core mechanic is Artillery Strike and i based that design with a coold idea for a champ that would come to life in Expac 30(the player made exp) "Komodo Artillery"(a Dragon/Beast for SL with a lot of drawbacks and some cool tricks).
    I really gave it a lot of thoughts to this ability as a core mechanic and realized that its well costed, if you consider AoE, range and dmg and the facts that only slow and fat champs are allowed to have it and that 50% of the time is a miss then it would seem to be overcosted by around 5 to 7 nora compared to normal bombs.. but this ability fills a unique role and having that option is an extra i will ever be willing to pay for.

I agree with Yeti, costing this ability should be made based on each different rune unlike widespread abilities like bombs and cones.

6. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Yeah Artillery strike is heavily over coated, it used to be a flat 18 damage so on champs like Gunbattery and old build Mortar Crew both which had significantly less base damage I'm guessing that is what perhaps warranted the high cost , it could certainly do with a significant cost decrease and would help those runes see play for sure , it's a unique and cool ability that requires a bit of luck and guess work, the cost should reflect that.

7. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Are you seriously asking for a buff to this ability?
    LOL

Ballballer likes this.
  8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I'm really looking forward to seeing which runes get made next expansion.

Tweek516, Etherielin and Kampel like this.
  9. Kampel

Me too, specially the Arts and Sprites :B

10. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

No I'm asking for it to be appropriately costed based on its effect.

11. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

It seems over costed and I can see the argument for it, however I still to this day have nightmares of mortar crew on certain maps bombarding all my Bane Shift while the dwarf tanks blocked my path.

I'm all for it but reduce the range on the ability.

Tweek516 likes this.
  12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This is a tough ability to evaluate because it's quite extreme in its parameters. It has a low CD (1!), high RNG (7-9!), and scales fully with DMG but has a delayed effect (which is a significant drawback).

At first glance, any cost reduction would need to come with an increase in CD or reduction in RNG, most likely, but I'd need to do a deeper analysis to come to a conclusion.

13. nivekflakes

I think a CD increase would be just fine it would put it in line with other ranged attack abilities, then it could get a cost decrease and a range decrease wouldn't be too bad either.

14. poinl

poinl I need me some PIE!

Please just leave it be as long as it's only on that one champ. CD 1 and it's high range make it what it is imho.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am somewhat reluctant to water down what makes the ability different.

Tweek516, Anima26, Etherielin and 3 others like this.
  16. Kampel

thankyou

im all in to just leave it as is, i rather it stays unique and expensive

17. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

It's on two champs right now. Even if there were more there's no real need to change the ability.

Kampel likes this.
  18. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

From what I've seen this is just an ability Good for mind games and punishing obvious moves. It isn't weak but definitely doesn't need a nerf

Kampel likes this.
  19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Oh the days of DMC and Roughneck vs. a choke point font.

20. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

i think artillery strike is fine as is.
    i wouldn't mind the units with it getting some buffs in other places though.